CHERISHED NUMBER PLATES

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

Discuss:
We notice that there are more and more cherished number plates appearing on cars nowadays and I was wondering what others think about the idea?
We've had ours for over 10 years now but it wasn't one of those expensive jobs. £250 all in.
IMG_5605.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
No it's not the one displayed on the photo but I can only wish.
There is a long story about why we purchased ours and it means nothing at all outside our own environment except it could but doesn't relate to my initials. I think that they are a OK as long as you don't change your car too often. Obviously, if you're proud of your car and look after its appearance then a cherished number plate helps disguise its age. In the case of our reg. it's prefix number is coincidentally very close to the year of manufacture of our Eriba which has a square rear number plate so it looks quite good on it.
I think I'm right in saying that in some countries, the car registration is owned by the person and follows him/her around rather than staying with the car. Do others think there's some merit in this?
Are cherished plates allowed in France, Holland and Germany and, if so, how do they manage when the caravan needs its own identity?
Lately I found on the DVLA website, the following number plate for £399. ER 11 BAS. I did point it out to another Eriba owner but unfortunately he wasn't in a position to purchase it. I then Emailed Automotive Leisure about it thinking that surely they would snap it up. They have not responded
R

Last edited Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm | Scroll up

RE: CHERISHED NUMBER PLATES

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

What ho, Brigadier

For what it's worth I've got mixed views on personal plates. That they are mixed is largely because I've got one on Frau Audi.

Mrs Le Pew's dad had B17-PLT on his car in the States, and after he passed away a couple of years ago we thought it might be quite a nice thing to see if we could get a similar plate over here.

He had that plate because he was a B17 pilot in the war - the youngest Fortress captain of the war, as far as we're aware. He was just turned 18 when they threw him the keys and told him not to wrap it round a tree. We reckon he had every right to stick that plate on his car.

In the USA the requirements vary from state to state. In Tennessee to all intents and purposes you can (or could, back then) have anything you like as long as someone else didn't have it, that it wasn't offensive and comprised six characters. If you weren't fussed you got given a plate with a set of characters on it which were randomly allocated.

When we lived there our Accord had 2LC-155, so we called it Elsie. Well you would, wouldn't you.

The plate belongs to the person, not the vehicle, and instead of having to renew a tax disc you renew a sticker each year which is fixed to the plate. Since it's your plate, transferring it from car to car is a much simpler and cheaper operation than it is here.

Sadly, some goon had already got B17 PLT, so we got B17 HGW instead, since HGW were his initials.

I don't really have a problem with the idea of having a plate which gives your car a bit of individuality, but it's a different matter if the characters are mis-spaced, altered in some other (illegal) way or make use of the fixing bolts as punctuation in a lame attempt to make them read something that they don't even remotely resemble.

That's just muppetry. And ninety-nine times out of a hundred the person driving it is a muppet too, and drives accordingly.

I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I don't doubt you've seen loads of them yourself.

I think the use of personal plates in European varies from country to country. To the best of my knowledge they don't exist in France, but you can have a kind of simplistic version in Germany.

There's a mass of information on Wikipedia if you can be arsed to plough through it all.

R4 NDA would indeed be quite nifty...

Ribski likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:45 pm

He had that plate because he was a B17 pilot in the war - the youngest Fortress captain of the war, as far as we're aware. He was just turned 18 when they threw him the keys and told him not to wrap it round a tree. We reckon he had every right to stick that plate on his car
Fascinating. And I bet he was very modest about it. I find people like your Dad-in -Law and mine for that matter, enthralling.
Is this a B17?
Duxford.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
We visited Duxford last year while on the way up to the Eriba Rally at Woodhall Spa.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm

> Is this a B17?

Yes it is.

Harry's B17 didn't get wrapped round a tree, it ended up in a field in Belgium on Christmas Eve 1944. It was hit by flak and once he'd realised (I don't think it took too long to work out) that it wasn't going to go any further he ordered the crew to abandon ship.

They all came down safely just on the allied side of the front line.

Coincidentally Mrs Le Pew had an e-mail about six months ago from a young Belgian student who has embarked on a study of 8th Air Force aircraft which were shot down over Belgium.

He had found her e-mail address in the course of researching one particular crash site, and sent her copies of some grainy photographs of a surprisingly intact Flying Fortress sitting forlornly in the mud surrounded by some of the locals. I say surprisingly, because the plane completed its descent from a decent altitude with nobody at the controls. It was the fact that it wasn't just a heap of twisted Duralumin and bent propeller blades that made us wonder if he'd sent her pictures of the wrong plane, but it was indeed Harry's, a fact borne out by the tail markings.

There is an online register of all The Mighty 8th's aircraft and what fate befell them, but I can't recall the website address off the top of my head.

That register confirmed that the plane was later salvaged, as were an awful lot of the ones which ended their service in similar circumstances.

So not only was he the youngest B17 pilot of the war, he was also a grateful member of The Caterpillar Club, as were his crew.

The Caterpillar Club, in case you didn't know, is an informal club which requires only one qualification of its members. That qualification is that they successfully baled out of a disabled aircraft.

Silk is the caterpillar connection...

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Here's a coincidence, I recently sent this picture (that I came across by chance on line this afternoon) to my brother who is an English Bull Terrier owner and WWII aircraft enthusiast. I'm not sure about the plane type though.

tumblr_munkyq902m1s16j8vo1_400.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm

That's a B17G.

Looks to have fared rather better than this one.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Just got a 'Forbidden 404' message when I tried to follow that link.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

I don't.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

It's a photograph of a B17G that made its way back to Blighty with almost everything missing forward of the cockpit.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:46 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I s'pose you could call the reg. on Mrs PiBs Yaris Verso cherished.

We first got it on a Volvo 850 Estate back in '97. The car had been owned by a doctor who had a different personal plate on it and L28WAG was put on the Volvo when we bought it. Since then it's followed us down a line of vehicles as we find it vaguely appropriate given our dog/dogs and fondly dream we'll be offered megabucks for it by an overpaid footballer looking for a present for his 28 year old wife or girlfriend Laura.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:48 pm
by Piccolo (deleted)

Well, the B17 story is bloomin' marvellous. Thanks Pete.

We've got P10 CJF on the BMW because the first BM I got was purchased from a chap whose number plate was P10 *** where the asterisks were his initals. He kept it and a generic plate was put on which was hideous, so I simply bought P10 CJF, which are my initials and mean not a thing to anyone else really. Even the P was the year of that first car. I have only ever had two cars since - both BMW 7 Series - and the plate has moved to each one in turn.

My only excuse is that my memory is so awful, it is the only way I have of remembering what it is when I am stopped by the boys in blue; but the truth is that I am insufferably vain and hopelessly proud of my motor. Sorry to let the side down so badly . . .

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:59 pm

insufferably vain and hopelessly proud of my motor
And why not? There are very few pleasures in life and I for one, enjoy sporting my number plate around the locality. Most local people do notice it

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1

Are cherished plates allowed in ...... Germany and, if so, how do they manage when the caravan needs its own identity?

Yes indeed they are. From time to time one sees outrageous examples and I've really no idea how the owners went about having them accepted. I think it must be a money thing.
Anyway, the more common everyday type personalised number plates are often difficult to differentiate from your more common everyday type plate. Yes I know, that's as clear as mud so let me elaborate and explain the system a bit more.

The first letter(s) of the number plate denote the area in which the vehicle (and trailers of all descriptions are counted as vehicles) is registered. I'll use my area as an example - the State of Baden Württemberg - of which Stuttgart is the State Capital. The State is divided up into several *Administrative Areas* and our town is administered by the town of Böbblingen. This is denoted on my number plate by *BB*. Stuttgart, the State Capital, has the designation of *S*.

Generally speaking, the higher status a city has the fewer letters appear on the number plate. So Berlin is designated *B*, München by *M* and Essen by *E*. The next in the pecking order of importance are designated two letters of which I've already given Böbblingen. Others for example could be Ludwigsberg - *LB* and Karlsruhe- *KA* You can hopefully see where this is going? The lowest of the lowest in terms of importance are allocated three letters.

But wait a moment. You'd be forgiven in thinking that *H* would be allocated to Hamburg but it isn't. The letter *H* is in fact allocated to Hannover. So why you ask. Well, like the UK has what it terms 'Cinque Ports', Germany also has historically important towns that dominated trade along the northern coast of Europe. These are referred to as the Hanseatic League or Hanse/Hansa for short. These Hanse towns are allocated the first letter *H* so that Hamburg becomes *HH* and Bremen becomes *HB*. I think there may be five or so of these Hanse towns (can't remember off the top of my head but another would be *HL* for Lübeck.

These first letter(s) designations are fixed and cannot be personalised. The following letters are the bit that can be personalised. So if you've got the name Joe Bloggs for example you can ask the registration office if JB is available and if so, and you lived by us, you'd have the letters *BB JB* followed by either one, two or three numerals depending on what had been issued in this series and which are still available. Nowadays you can even check online and reserve the number for a certain period - 3 months I think. The charges are pretty reasonable, certainly less than thirty pounds and yes, you can transfer it to another vehicle, at cost of course. It's only very recently that you didn't have to re-register your vehicle if you moved State meaning that if you sported the plate *HB* and moved to Stuttgart (S) you'd have been unable to keep it.

Our town used to fall under a different Administrative area altogether in days gone by and had plates starting off with *LEO*. After much grumbling and discussions in the State Parliament it was decided that for number plate purposes people living in the *LEO* area could opt for that at the beginning of their plate as opposed to *BB*. My situation is that I have my car registered as *BB* followed in turn by my initials followed by my D.O.B. whilst the van starts off as *LEO*, the next letters being *HG* for Hansel and Gretal and then 430 for the model number of the van. I wanted to choose *ET* 430 for Eriba Triton but was overruled by her-in-doors . Remember that I said trailers were counted as vehicles being registered separately, taxed and insured separately and of course requiring a biannual HU (MOT).

Hopefully that's all clear as questions will follow later.

Last edited Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Quote: Forseti wrote in post #12
Well, like the UK has what it terms 'Sync Ports' (or should that be Sinc?)

Neither.

It's Cinque Ports

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Oh, right - I stand corrected, thanks. I've been out of the UK now for so long that it's like living in Never, Never land. I'd never pass as a German with a Manchester accent and I'm slowly beginning to lose my own native tongue. The spelling is atrocious I know. :-( I've corrected my earlier post so nobody will know apart from us. Mums the word eh? :-)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Quote: Forseti wrote in post #14
Oh, right - I stand corrected, thanks.
Sorry Mr F.

I didn't mean to sound like a smartarse.

I really don't want to queer this pitch so soon

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105517 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4