Looking after your tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Several months ago, I put together the following information based on advice and recommendations given by several well known tyre suppliers and Hymer/Eriba recommended tyre pressure charts. (See attachments at the bottom of this post).
I thought it might be useful to others although there's much speculation regarding Eriba tyre pressures and tyre age. I've read that all tyres should be changed after five years, irrespective of their wear. However, some experts are now stating that they can be used for seven years. What do others think?
The reason I ask is because our tyres are dated 2009 and were brand new on the van in August 2010. Therefore we feel that we should be able to get another season out of them

Regarding winter storage, we leave our wheels and tyres on the van but sit them in cradles such as THESE.
The cradles, in turn, are sat on top of a square of 16mm polycarbonate and the wheels are covered with Protec wheel covers.

How do others look after their tyres?

tyre chart a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

tyre chart a2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"

Last edited Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:57 am | Scroll up

RE: Looking after your tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:38 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Some people on CT reckon that the idea of 'flat spots' developing over a winter's storage is an old wives tale. I must admit that I've not taken any precautions about such issues in 5 seasons and I've never noticed a problem.

I'll stick to 5 years before replacement because I always err on the side of safety, although when we picked up Esmerelda she was running on 7 year old tyres and they looked brand new.

I still swapped them and took Sandy's advice and swapped them to the bigger size that's been fitted to Trolls since, I think 2009. He reckoned they were a better, stronger tyre for roughly the same money. They did slightly reduce the clearance to the mover though.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:45 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Um, how very odd. Tyre pressures for our Triton rated at 1200kg are 3.3 bar whereas your chart shows 3.85 bar.

That said, for winter storage although I have the very same cradles as in your post, Roger, I don't actually use them because I find that most people I know place their bikes, cars, caravans and what-have-you on wood when not in use over the winter. Concrete sucks out the Silica from rubber, hence the reason for this trick. The owner of our winter storage place is actually a tyre dealer who also happens to own a caravan. He told me to either jack the van up, although he didn't really think it necessary, or place the wheels on short pieces of wood followed by inflating the tyres to between 6 and 7 bars. Tyres pumped up to that pressure are not going to deform by remaining in one place and the wooden blocks will prevent the Silica being drawn out.

As far as lifespan of tyres goes. Here we have no choice in the matter as trailers of all descriptions are registered as vehicles in their own right and require a bi-annual HU (MOT). At the third test (6 years)if the tyres are older than the 6 years stipulated by the testing station then the van is downrated to the manufacturers standard 850kg.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:03 pm

If I remember correctly it was found that the handbook tyre pressures were incorrect for quite a way back and that tyres should have been at the much higher pressures. Again Sandy knows all about it but you have to be ready for a lengthy phone call if you want to confirm it with him.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Um, how very odd. Tyre pressures for our Triton rated at 1200kg are 3.3 bar whereas your chart shows 3.85 bar.

No, not odd at all Alan. I think Frantone confirmed your figure too when he checked his handbook. That's a difference of 8 psi.

The problem is that wherever you look, Hymer seem to quote different figures. They have published broadsheets where the figures contrast with the handbook and brochure figures. Aaron Calder was Emailed one such broadsheet and that information is also used by the French and German forums.

The figures on the attached chart are taken from a number of Hymer primary sources but I would always go with the figure quoted on the handbook if your van was supplied with one.

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:59 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Hi Randa, I totally agree with your recommendations, I also use the tyre cradles that spread the load over a greater surface area and I use wheel covers to slow down the UV degradation of the rubber. I've had first hand experience of flat spots on an old MG Midget, a tyre went egg shaped after been stood for a prolonged period, it was only noticeable at 35mph where the car would start shake my fillings out

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:06 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I'm soon due (overdue !) to replace my Eriba Puck L tyres for age related reason. What is the general opinion on the need to balance ? The original ones were never balanced and show no signs of vibration or uneven wear .

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:00 am

Well Sandy @ Jandi told me not to bother getting them balanced as they're on a beam axle and don't steer and therefore the liklihood of any vibration is minimal.

There again, on CT you get people who fell very strongly that caravan wheels should be balanced.

I didn't bother specifying balancing when I had our last Troll's tyres replaced by Event mobile, but for all I know they might do it automatically. I never looked to check.

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:25 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:44 am

Ribski and SDA.
I'd never given the issue of balancing a thought but when I come to change the tyres on our Eriba I'm hoping that our regular tyre retailer/fitter will be able to supply them in which case they balance the wheels automatically.
My dilemma is whether to change the tyres before or after next season's travels? They were new on when we bought the van but are dated 2009.
R

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:46 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #8
Well Sandy @ Jandi told me not to bother getting them balanced as they're on a beam axle and don't steer and therefore the liklihood of any vibration is minimal.
That they're on a beam axle and don't steer doesn't have anything to do with whether the wheels are out of balance or not. If they're out of balance you'll get vibration, and the further out they are the worse the effect will be.

The difference is obvious in that you wouldn't be able to feel the vibration if the van wheels were unbalanced, but not being able to feel it doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

You wouldn't not get the rear wheels on your car balanced because they don't steer; you'd do it because you'd feel it and because it's a Good Thing to have them running true wherever possible.

Any vibration will be transmitted to the van, and let's face it, it doesn't take much for bits to come loose and drop off as it is without subjecting them to even more distress, especially when it cost so little to eliminate it altogether.

It's mechanical empathy, that's what it is.

Get 'em balanced. You know it makes sense

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #9
My dilemma is whether to change the tyres before or after next season's travels? They were new on when we bought the van but are dated 2009.
Assuming the tread is evenly worn and that there is no evidence of perishing (surface cracks) anywhere, impact damage or sidewall deformities, I wouldn't be rushing to replace tyres which are no more than five years old at the very most. Whip the wheels off and have a good butchers.

It's in the interest of tyre retailers to get you to put new ones on, after all...

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 am
by Deeps (deleted)

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Two good posts from Pepe thanks,

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:40 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Sound advice ! for the small extra cost involved, must be worth it ! If it's all running smooth and true it must put less strain on all the running gear and associated parts . Thanks for all your replies

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0