RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:37 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

I am thinking about getting one of these awnings. Apart from the beading snagging, could one put the awning up on one's own or is it definitely a 2 person job?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.287 Posts

Bogbean,
I'm not sure if this will help you decide:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPbvsdBj94

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:02 pm
by hob (deleted)

And on an Eriba

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:14 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Quote: bogbean wrote in post #16
I am thinking about getting one of these awnings. Apart from the beading snagging, could one put the awning up on one's own or is it definitely a 2 person job?

Yes once the awning has been pulled through the rail it really is dead easy to erect single handed. Just pump it up and peg out.
Just thinking I wonder if it could be pushed through from the back without help pulling from the other end. I've not tried this method and maybe easier with the smaller awnings.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

The thing about the awning bead is interesting.

I've always thought that the standard awning bead was sized up as 6mm dia and as such, when we had cause to purchase some for a couple of home made sun shades, we purchased standard 6mm. It does appear to be the most common size in the UK.

However, last year when in Denmark, we decided to purchase an Isabella Shadow from a retailer about 30 miles away from the campsite. According to the Isabella spec. and a board full of sample bead offcuts displayed at the retailers, it's 8mm bead that fits all the caravans that were on display there.

We took a chance and found that the Isabella with 8mm bead fits our Eriba perfectly.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

chezmart likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Keith and Sue wrote in post #5

We already had a weather protection strip which we bought with our Walker awning. This is a great bit of kit. It clips to the awning rail above the awning and forms a V shaped channel. In heavy rain, the caravan gutter would normally overflow which lets water run down the inside of the awning.

I've been giving this particular point a bit more thought after watching another video (see post #18 above) of the Kampa awning being attached to an Eriba.

As previous owners of a Walker awning (like we are) you will know that the back section of the roof has a small additional strip sewn on which loops over the weather protection strip. The strip itself essentially extends the depth of the rain channel and unless the water build up exceeds the height of the protection strip there is no way it can enter into the actual awning itself unless (a) the stitching of this extra piece where it bonds with the roof is not waterproof (as it was initially with ours) or (b) rain water works it's way along the length of the beading from either end externally from the awning before it reaches the lowest point (usually around the caravans external light) where it then runs down the side of the van.

From what I can see from the video the Kampa does not come with this additional strip of roof section which slots over the protection strip as with the Walker so from what I can determine - only from viewing the video of course - is that whilst the protection strip does indeed extend the depth of the vans rain gutter there is still a deep channel that is formed between the side of the rail and the pushed up back face of the Kampa awning in which rain can accumulate. Am I perhaps missing something here?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

We ordered a Pop Air 365 for our Troll 540 from Magnum Motor Homes at the NEC. It came a week ago and has been attached to the van for 5 days. I was happy with it at first, but discovered this morning that it has pulled out of the awning rail at both ends.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:56 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

We found attaching the Pop Air 365 to our Troll 540 to be hard work for two of us. It's heavy. Despite tha,t we were happy with it at first, but today, after 5 days, I found that it had pulled out of the awning channel at both ends.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:03 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

We've had the Pop Air 365 attached to our Troll 540 for five days now. I was happy with it at first, but this morning I found that it has pulled out of the awning channel at both ends.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

In view of all the above comments, I've tried to get in touch with Max Lawless from Kampa. He's the guy who first approached us for help with demonstrating their new product and I guess is the guy that Martin (Chezmart) met at Stoneleigh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:28 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

I phoned Kampa about 15 mins ago but they told me the appropriate technical person isn't answering his extension. They said he'd phone me back later. I should add - it was quite gusty here last night - was forecasted to be up to 45mph, and the wind was coming from under the caravan into the awning. My frame-type awning copes with such conditions with no bother.
IMG_3330.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3329.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:41 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:32 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Ian Guy wrote in post #26
I phoned Kampa about 15 mins ago but they told me the appropriate technical person isn't answering his extension. They said he'd phone me back later.
In light of all the above comments, the appropriate technical person is probably removing a service revolver from his desk drawer and wiping a bead of sweat from his pallid brow...

yy-R56kh
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Ian - you might want to consider purchasing a pair of Isabella Awning Safety Device. These are designed to prevent the awning sliding along the rail but are also very effective at preventing the ends actually popping out of the rail. I make use of this small but effective device on both our Walker awning and Isabella Shadow.

, marmite and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:52 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:59 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

Good Tip Deeps. Thank you.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:12 pm
by hob (deleted)
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105509 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4