RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:23 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

After reading all the comments regarding the Kampa Awning I have finally made the plunge and bought one. My Familia 320 is a 2015 tall rail model which made me concerned that the beading would pull out, Colin mentioned that he had spoken to someone who had a tall Familia and they had no issues which gave me a bit of confidence.

Anyhows, I have not made the modification as per Kampas recommendation, it went up a treat and it has not pulled out of the awning rail. I am very impressed with it, the curtains looked a bit naff but they are very versatile and they have won me over, Lowdhams gave me the rain gutter for free but after falling off my small step several times trying to put it on I gave in and bought the seals direct version which takes seconds to fit. Overall a big thumbs up from me..

IMG_20180906_155641_2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:04 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Congratulations. When it fits it's very good and you are one of the lucky ones.
Did you get the awning carpet. It is excellent.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #197
Congratulations. When it fits it's very good and you are one of the lucky ones.
Did you get the awning carpet. It is excellent.Colin

Hi Colin, yes I got a good deal at Lowdhams, I bought the awning, carpet, rain guard and storm straps all for less than the RRP of the awning

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Good for you Poptop that looks ace . It sounds (and looks) like it fits better on the Familia than it does on our 2016 Troll.

I keep promising to give some feedback on using our 365, as we kept it in store for 12 months cos of health reasons, and so have only used it this season - but it is a complex tale of joy and despair in equal measure and would be the length of a short story.

I think I will get Kath to send me some photos from her iPad of the Poptop in various situations and load them on here so people can take a view based on visual evidence.

Last week we cut off the 8 cms advised by Kampa ready for the next time we try to erect it, possibly in York in a couple of weeks. We shall see MikeT

Poptop320 and Keith and Sue like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 am
by Tom (deleted)

Hi we have a Kampa Pop Air on our 2008 Triton 430 and it's really rather good.
Recently though while at Southport we had quite a bit of rain and the water was coming around the beading in the rail and running down the side of the Eriba.
We always have the gutter strip fitted but we've found rain is coming between the gutter strip and the awning and the bead area become like another gutter.
I've contacted Kampa to no avail so we're considering something like soft rubber pipe insulation between the 2 in hopes it blocks and diverts the water.
Incidentally the awning was inflated to the correct pressure..
We wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Very best regards

Tom

Last edited Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Tom,
you will always suffer problems with some water running down the side of your Eriba, no matter which awning you use.
You can reduce this by doing several things:
- use awning gutter strip as you are, and well done on getting the awful Kampa one to fit.
- soak the awning cord with a Febtex type water proofing spray.
- push a lump of Blu Tack or a rubber ear-plug into the end of the awning track where the awning cord finishes.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

I used to get something similar on my AL porch awning, as Colin says I just proofed the webbing strip that inserts in the rail and it stopped the leak.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:07 pm
by Tom (deleted)

Colin thanks for the prompt reply and advice.
We'll definitely try the measures you've advised.

The water was pouring down the side of the Eriba from various points and when I checked outside there was quite an amount of water sitting along the awning channel.
We've owned a few awnings, both porch and full, over the years on conventional caravans so we're used to awnings but this wasn't the odd trickle at the ends, it was quite an amount.

I'm quite tall so can reach into the channels and what we found was the awning gutter strip was allowing quite a build up of wind blown leaves.
We got the distinct impression that the water was penetrating around the bead and with a capillary action feeding round and then down the side of the Eriba.
It didn't seem to be seeping through the actual material or seams and believe me I've experienced water seeping through 'proofed' material in tents.
The tips you've advised sound sensible but we still may take a few lengths of the soft foam tube to try as an experiment.

I must admit introducing the Kampa bead to and along the awning rail is the easiest we've ever done.
As a matter of interest we fitted the awning gutter strip initially by clamping the flat section in a workmate bench and then gradually and carefully running the taped end of suitable screwdriver along to open it out.
Testing it on the rail until an easier, good fit was obtained then leaving it on the Eriba to try and cancel it's memory retention of the rolled shape it arrived in.
It's now always stored in length and not coiled.

Anyway many thanks and we'll definitely try the aforementioned tips

All the best

Tom

Last edited Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:55 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Tom
We experienced something similar when we last used our 365 awning in Kendal C & CC site when we were having our service at ALV in Tebay. (Incidentally this site has just reopened after refurbishment and new facilities are great)

This was a time when our Kampa awning worked well for us (within it's sloping design parameters). It rained on and off most of the time and was windy but everything seemed fine until the heavens opened just as we were having tea. We suddenly got a steady stream of water running almost a right angles from the drain hole in the guttering ending up in a steady stream near the bottom side of the door.

We then noticed that we were getting several tiny steams of water that seemed to be running from where the awning joined the gutter strip. We had never noticed this before in heavy rain.

Being an intrepid camper I moved the carpet away from the drips and continued with our rather tasty bottle of Malbec with some Jarlsberg cheese.

Next morning I tried to see what could have been the problem. Like Tom we seem to have collected rather a lot of leaves and beech nuts in the guttering and I concluded that this might have been part of the problem. However I like the suggested fix of some waterproofing on the fabric in this area and will give that a try.

With the water pouring in near the door of the van I wondered if it was down to a mix of the wind direction and also I may not have had the front steadies exactly level - causing a run off. This one remains a bit more perplexing and I will look out for it next week in York.

I admit to thinking about some bizaare Heath Robinsonesque fixes involving a bit of tubing fastened into the drainage hole directing the water away. Unimpressed would be a mild description of Kath's response to what I intended doing to her beloved van. MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

We were given the tip of fixing a cable tie to the drainage hole with the end pointing away from the van. The water then runs along the cable tie and away from the van.

We tried this in some particularly wet weather in Devon and it worked a treat.

Ralph

Tin Head and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:29 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I’ve just taken the plunge and ordered a Kampa 365 from Norwich Camping. I bought the previous model as I couldn’t resist the discount. I’m not going to bother with the rain strip and will wait to see how it works out without it.

I’m looking forward to having extra space for cooking and storing muddy boots and other kit. My wife hates awnings but I’m hoping she’ll be converted once she’s sitting in it with a glass of wine.

My Troll is a 2006 model so I’m hoping the awning will be a good fit.

Last edited Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm

I'm sure you and your good lady will be very pleased with it, and you did the correct thing going for the older model as you should have no problem with the fit.
Before you go away give your awning track a good clean out, leave to dry and put lots of PTFE spay in it [better than silicon spray as this is wet and can attract dirt]. This makes it easier to pull into place as it is heavy. You may want to take the front out to reduce the weight. You'll find putting it up is not a lot quicker than a conventional awning but the taking down is far quicker. Don't bother with the optional tie down straps. They are poorly made and if you were lucky enough to get them tensioned would find the pull the awning away from the van.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:14 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Thanks for the tips Colin.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:07 am

I thought I would resurrect this thread with a bit more feedback regarding the older version of the pro air Kampa which had concerns of the keeda cord pulling out of the awning rail. I have had mine since 2018 and so far no issues, the last 30 hours was a massive test, we had horrendous winds which on the weather websites were reporting as high as 52 mph
We did contemplate taking it down but it was too late as it was blowing a hoolie, I made sure all the straps were tight and I had the storm straps deployed. We had to drop down the lid in the early hours of the morning for the first time in eight years, the racket from the canvas flapping about was a bit disconcerting, the neighbours steel pole awning collapsed putting dents in his van from the flailing poles. I kept checking all the straps and the pegs during the gale, some needed to be retentioned. The upshot is that the awning was fine and it didn't pull out, I think the flexibility of the airframe really helped to mitigate a lot of the winds force.

Markeriba, SOULBLUESMAN68 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:09 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:35 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

We had a similar experience to Poptop last Autumn and in two days of very heavy winds the Kampa 365 held up when other awnings were flying all over.

Think it is the flexibility of the air poles. We also had to put our poptop down such was the strength of the winds.

it certainly earned its corn over those two nights.

MikeT

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5