Max from Kampa has replied to me and he has just asked to join us

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:21 pm | Scroll up

RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:31 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

Update on my problem with the new Kampa 365 Pop-Air awning. Lee at Magnum motor homes asked me to have another fo at putting it up. So I did just now. Here's the text of the email I've just sent him:

Hi Lee

I'm just putting the kettle on after taking down and putting up the awning. I managed it, and both ends of the beading are in the channel. Getting the last half inch of the beading to stay in the channel was a struggle though. I forced it in with the end of a tent peg because it kept curving outwards. I'm more convinced than ever that the beading needs a lead-in of 6" at each end - I guess this would make it a lot easier to feed it in, and keep it in. My Movera frame awning has these, and it helps.

These things helped:
-An Isabella Awning Safety Device at each end (Thanks Deeps)
-Taking out the front of the awning before starting, to make it lighter, and
-pulling apart the velcro that sticks the inner ends of the outer roof-airpoles to the fabric, which reduces outward tension on the ends of the beading during pulling it through.

What I couldn't manage on my own was to attach the weathershield. The strong plastic kept springing off.

All in all I've found the struggle with the pulling in process takes off some of the shine of not having to faff around with the poles on my other awning.

Regards

Ian"

Ian Guy
Troll 540 GT + Skoda Superb

Ian
Troll 540 GT & Skoda Superb
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

I was also able to share Facebook messages with Max Lawless of Kampa who is now fully aware of the problem.

He pointed out that Kampa use a 7mm awning bead, a size they have used in the past.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:21 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.257 Posts

I wonder if they will be making available something like the isabella widgets to help alleviate the popping out at the ends as a short term measure.
As this is an eriba specific awning it is embarrassing if it does not fit correctly the eriba awning rail.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 am
by Ian Guy (deleted)

Just had a reply from the retailer that supplied me with the Kampa Pop Air 365:

"Having spoken with Kampa a few times about this it does not sound like they are looking at making changes to the awning, they have told me “they are difficult o fit”

“an issue with the Eriba caravans themselves. I’ve put both poled and inflatable, Kampa and non-Kampa, awnings onto Eriba caravans in the past and can confirm they are difficult to attach”

Which although honest on their part is not really a solution for us or yourself

So what to do is the next question really? If we were to offer you a £180 refund do you think you could live with the imperfections in its design

Obviously the best solution would be to have an awning as advertised but it does not sound like it is going to be possible"

I'm not sure how to reply yet. Do I accept the offer or ask for a refund and return the awning? Hmm.....

Ian
Troll 540 GT & Skoda Superb

Last edited Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Ian Guy wrote in post #32

These things helped:
-An Isabella Awning Safety Device at each end (Thanks Deeps)
-Taking out the front of the awning before starting, to make it lighter, and
-pulling apart the velcro that sticks the inner ends of the outer roof-airpoles to the fabric, which reduces outward tension on the ends of the beading during pulling it through.

All in all I've found the struggle with the pulling in process takes off some of the shine of not having to faff around with the poles on my other awning.

At first we had a real struggle pulling our Walker awning through the caravan rail but following a good clean of the rail using a small brush and petroleum spirit followed by a quick spray of the inside face of the rail with some Isabella Aqua Tex Reproofing Spray (not cheap but lasts years and is effective) just prior to putting the awning in it now slides through the rail effortlessly.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.598 Posts

I noticed on the video that the curtain fits in a pocket below the window, I think it would be advisable to wipe the nylon curtain before storing it otherwise it will be a source of constant dampness from the condensation. Especially when the awning is packed away and the pocket is wet...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:55 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

The Kampa catalogue states "The inflatable awning solution for your Eriba caravan. Now you can have a Kampa inflatable awning that is easy to set up and gives you valuable extra living space"

How does this square with their statement that they are "difficult to fit"? Looking at the photos it seems that the van side arch is always going to pull the awning out of the rail as it is providing a vertical pull against the curved rail so it naturally tries to pull the beading straight. Maybe lower air pressure or isolate the arch to keep the pressure a bit lower?

I'm picking up my 340 awning this morning so am naturally a bit worried that this may be a very expensive mistake - and I'll make sure the pump works while I'm there!

Excited Kia Sportage waiting for a push
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:37 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I thought holidays were supposed to be relaxing and zen. I'd send it back. If it's difficult to fit, it's because it doesn't fit!

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:38 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:29 am
by Argie (deleted)

The two previous posts are absolutely correct...... The design of the awning where the van curves is just wrong!!
It should have been designed with a curve of material built in to follow the profile of the van and relieve pressure at that point.....

I put up my new Kampa awning yesterday on site....
As others have said it is very heavy. We tried to remove the front section as previously advised but were unable to do so..
There are four zips on the front section and I still haven't figured cut how to actually remove it. The zips seem to be facing in the wrong direction to actualy release the front panel - however that might just be me (any advice?)

But the zips I could live with...

The beading coming out of the rail is a different matter...
We managed to thread the beading through the rail all ok...
Within one hour both ends of the beading had curved outward away from the curved profile of the van.... Overnight they have not got any worse with still approx a forefinger length of beading having pulled out at both ends.....

At the moment the air is still.....if the wind increases to a strong breeze or blustery I am not sure that even more will just pull out....

Not happy at all !

I do wonder if the person who has designed this awning has actually ever seen an Eriba and didn't just work from a set of measurements...!!

"Tugging a Troll called Eva" with my Honda CRV 2.2L i-DTEC
, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:49 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Clearly the awning is designed to encompass the door at one end and the side window at t'other.

These limits are far more flexible on a Puck or Fam and looking at the 260 and 290 awnings you can see they fit happily to the flat part of the rail.

By the look of it the rail on the 540 starts to curve at the window end but looks OK at the door end. What does strike me is that the arch for the Puck and Pan is relatively low compared with the Troll and I think it is the height of that arch, and the obvious desire of the air strut to do its own thing, that is staining the beading on the larger awning.

I won't know for sure about the 410 for a week as it ain't here yet, but it may get interesting.

I did double check this morning and was confirmed that air pressure should be 6 or 7 psi max

Excited Kia Sportage waiting for a push

Last edited Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:11 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:07 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

I've been looking with interest at the Kampa awning, to use with our current Troll 555, and our new Troll 540 which should be delivered around September '17. I like it because it should fit the two different heights of awning rails.

We currently have a Soplair awning, which for two people I find embarrassingly large at 3.65 x 2.40, so I have been wondering whether to get the Kampa 340 awning. It will probably conflict with the rear window and access hatch, but I can live with that. On the plus side it should be lighter and easier to install, and will hopefully avoid the problem with the rear curve mentioned above.

I was going to order one this week, but think I'll wait and see if any design tweeks are forthcoming from Kampa in the near future.

Cheers Mark

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:53 pm
by Argie (deleted)

Re:-
" I did double check this morning and was confirmed that air pressure should be 6 or 7 psi ma

Well that is different to what it states in the instruction manual which reads :-

"An ideal inflation pressure will be between 9-11 psi (0.62 - 0.76 BAR), but do not worry about the pressure when using the pump supplied as it cannot over-inflate the awning. Pump as much air as you can. Once the awning has a good amount of air in it, pull or push the front of the awning outwards so that the air poles can assume their correct shape.

Once all the air poles have sprung outwards, give the awning a few more pumps until the poles feel hard to the touch".

Needless to say I followed these instructions to the letter......

By the way I had no problem at all in fitting the weatherstrip even though it had been wound up pretty tightly.... Took about 5 or 6 minutes.....

"Tugging a Troll called Eva" with my Honda CRV 2.2L i-DTEC
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 pm
by Keef (deleted)

We are getting there now. Great post from Argie, in essence the design has made no allowance for the curved awning rail as fitted to an Eriba. All the speculation ref Keder size, well intended, is not the issue its the straight profile of the awning compared to the radius ends of the Eriba.
I have bought one of these awnings for my Older Familia. The problem is not so pronounced as on other models, the mismatch is not so severe ie the awning does not go as far round the curve. However the pressure on the stitching connecting the keder to the awning roof is beyond belief and I know in the very near future it will fail/tear. Something's gotta give the keder will either pull out of the rail or the stitching will fail/material rip.
This forum and this thread in particular has been most informative. Yes you could buy a smaller one, and make any number of compromises but the fact remains the awning rail curves away at each end and the Pop Awning profile is straight

, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:56 am
by Keef (deleted)

To close my personal experience of the new pop awnings. I desperately want my new awning "to work". It's a good idea, no poles etc and all the other potential advantages. However such is my level of faith I have tidily packed and bagged my Vanderhorn awning and travel with both. How mad is that I travel with a spare.
I like many others knew the pop awning was on its way and I couldn't wait to get one but to be candid it has all gone a little sour. I have used the awning on 3 occasions and I can't help checking the stitching as I walk past. Time will tell.

and like this post!
Scroll up

Page 3 of 14 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 next Page »

Visitors
4 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4