Kampa weather strip

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm
by Strathspey (deleted)

Help! Have tried, and failed!, to fit this weather strip. How have other eribafolk managed? always nervous of resorting to brute force... but keen to resolve things before our 1st trip away.

If it's so difficult to fit, is it secure enough to stay on "in transit", and for the summer season?

Many thanks

Scroll up

RE: Kampa weather strip

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

I'm assuming that you are referring to that long length of white plastic that clips on top of the rain channel and which also comes as an option with Walker awnings like ours.

Placing the strip onto the rail is a case of practice makes perfect and the exercising of a bit of patience I'm afraid. The entire process is made easier of course if two people are available so that one is not having to attach one end of the strip to the rail whilst at the same time supporting the weight of the entire length.

We carry additional caravan entry steps choosing not to use the integrated item fitted to the van itself. This affords us the option of having a portable step which we use to gain easy access to the rain gutter to give it a clean out from time to time when parked under trees etc. So, taking this portable step to the rear corner of the van I then offer the lower edge of the strip onto the rail whilst at the same time my wife is supporting the weight of the remaining strip. This is tiring on the arms so the wife appreciates it when I get a move on lol. Once a half metre or so of the strip is located on the rail the remaining length will support itself and one only has to make sure to keep the left hand pressing down on the strip that is already mounted so that it doesn't spring off whilst feeding the rest of the length - short bits at a time - onto the rest of the rail.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

Try soaking it in a bucket of hot water. I can't speak from experience as I haven't fitted mine yeg

Troll 530, Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI

He points to the sky saying "the Sun's not yellow, it's chicken"
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:54 pm
by Strathspey (deleted)

Many thanks for these helpful comments... and, apologies for slow response; I thought that I had!

And... Is the weather strip secure enough to be left on in transit/for the summer?

I do hope that is possible, otherwise mega stress every time we want to put up an awning!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:01 pm
by hob (deleted)

More about it here

Awning gutter strip

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

I fitted it last weekend and left it on to travel down to Poole. It was still on when we arrived after 150+ mile journey. It did seem a really secure fit and no adhesive was used.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:05 pm
by Strathspey (deleted)

Gosh, and it's reassuring to find that "I am not alone", or being inept etc, and that others find fitting this plastic strip difficult.

I shall try again to fit it, at home in peace/privacy... to minimise stress when we do it for real on site.

If it is a really tight/secure fit then I am tempted to leave it in situ... watch this space!

Yrs Aye

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 pm
by Kadders (deleted)

Just fitted ours this afternoon. A very tricky job that needs two people. Leaving it on as don't want to have to do that again.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

When I eventually managed to fit my Kampa trim a couple of years ago I decided it was not going to come off, so I ran a bead of Sikaflex underneath its bottom edge. Two years later it had worked loose. Be warned, if you are going to leave it on then make sure you glue it on and check it before each journey.
I now use the sealsdirect version, it is so much easier to fit. The ideal solution is the genuine Hymer/Eriba strip, but this is difficult to get hold of.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12517 topics and 105604 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3