RE: Awning gutter strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I can live with the occasional dribble,???

I would love to comment, but don't want to be drummed out of the regiment

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005

mr_underhill and like this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #16
I would love to comment, but don't want to be drummed out of the regiment
Nobody gets drummed out of this regiment for comments about the occasional dribble.

We're all ears.

It had better be good, mind, now it's had the big build up...

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Methinks you might require the assistance of the 7foot 6inch Dutch guy from Unico Bologna Awnings who can do everything Eriba awning related with no effort at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8MdAcLAWE0

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I've just caught up on this thread. We never remove our strip. It has stayed on the Eriba since the day I broke all my fingernails getting it on! We found two pairs of grippy gardening gloves good for the job but it was still the devil's job to get it on there in the first place! I don't think it would come off in a million years whilst travelling etc. I think maybe that putting it on, taking it off repeatedly, would mean it might possibly become looser and thus easier to put on/take off but I can't believe it would come off.

2014 Triton 420 GT
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Likewise. Our Eriba strip usually lives on the van. If I thought it might work loose over time I would then put a few tiny blobs of Sikaflex in the groove knowing it would stay put but could be removed if necessary.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Re Eribanut's Dutch guy, can it really be that easy to put an awning up 😳

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon or 90 Soft Top
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Can be that easy - if, like him, you put it up in a flat floored,astro turfed, wind free , dry STUDIO ! !

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Oh, aren't all caravan sites like that 😀

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon or 90 Soft Top
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

I have just taken the gutter strip, as supplied by Kampa, out of the bag for a play.
I previously had the eriba strip as supplied by Jandi from Hymer/eriba and I believe the two strips are different, although they perform the same function.
The original which I believe is also supplied for the Unico Verona you have Terry was a bit difficult to fit, but nothing compared to that supplied by Kampa. It is going to be an absolute sod to do.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Update.

I am assuming the forum does not have a swear filter, so I will put the stars in myself.

The kampa strip is NOT designed to be put on and taken off each time the awning goes up. It is a total and utter B*****d to B****y well fit.
I would classify myself as more than competent, having fitted rear cycle carriers, hot water systems and high level awning rails etc, but it was a nightmare to fit this strip.
My van is in a garage attached to the house, so it is not cold. The strip was also at room temperature. It took me about 20 minutes to get the first 2/3 rds fitted and the rest of the hour to do the last 1/3rd.
Feeding it on carefully I got to the stage where I put a crease in the awning rail. At this point I decided that once on it was not coming off. The last part finally went on with a squirt or two of PTFE spray and careful use of a hair drier. I was reluctant to use the latter as I was unsure whether the gap would open up or close. The plastic is a thermo plastic and it has a memory of what shape it was.
The main problem is Kampa roll the strip into a fairly tight circle. This creases and compresses the slot.

I am leaving the strip on the van for a few days and will then gently open up the outer long edge and squirt some Sikaflex into the gap.

To put this matter into perspective, it used to take me a couple of minutes of cursing to fit the Hymer/eriba strip each time to my last van.

Unless you want to keep the strip on all of the time I would NOT buy the Kampa product. It is C**p.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:29 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

That's very interesting. I hadn't realised the two strips were so different.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm
by Keef (deleted)

Hope this helps. To keep the strip package as small as possible the supplier winds it into a tight circle. If you look at the slot you will find it is closed shut in
Places because it has been forced through too tight a bend/circle.
I fitted mine on my own making good progress with the use of masking tape holding the unfitted section nice and high. Then the strip would go no further. No point carrying on, I thought, after making good progress until the complete stop. Take it off and see why.
The slot was completely closed where the bend had been particularly tight. Eased it open with wide blade screwdriver and then on attempt 2 it fitted relatively easily. I was furious it was so obviously wound to tight of course the slot would close its simple science.

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

I will hopefully try and fit our rain strip this weekend as we've only just got ours. I'd rather not leave it on permanently but don't like the idea of struggling when pitching up especially as it's more often than not raining. If it becomes too much of a faff I can see the Walker awning coming back out. At least that doesn't leak when it rains.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am
by hob (deleted)

I don't have one of these but I keep thinking 2 bits of something like 3\8 thick ply about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide bolted together along one edge with enough packing between to fit over the strip would be handy for fitting it?

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:15 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

This any good....awning rail spreader ?

DD45014C-E196-4B07-A264-1C99C35C75A8-3181-0000074D4CF2EDD6.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1