Page 3 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

RE: Awning gutter strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm
by hob (deleted)

No that's for opening out tight spots in the awning rail where it may have been squeezed in so the awning beading will fit.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:26 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I was looking at post 27 .

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:19 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #25
Update.
I am leaving the strip on the van for a few days and will then gently open up the outer long edge and squirt some Sikaflex into the gap.
To put this matter into perspective, it used to take me a couple of minutes of cursing to fit the Hymer/eriba strip each time to my last van.
Unless you want to keep the strip on all of the time I would NOT buy the Kampa product. It is C**p.
Colin

So, having just ordered a Kampa POP Pro Air 340 for our 410 Beariba - this thread is more than a little interesting. Doubly so since the original intention was a Movelite Classic but there we go - she likes the Kampa.......

I have - of course - ordered the Kampa strip so have this fun activity to look forward to. It seems like permanent attachment sounds like a good solution, just one question - which Silkaflex product is suggested for this task - Silkaflex 512??? Would that be the entire length of the strip or just the ends?
I'm thinking soaking in a tub of hot water - the strip, not me - would help make it a bit more pliable.

Excited Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Just a quick update. I've just been out to try fitting the rain strip.
It took all of about 5 minutes!
The trick I found was that because it was coiled up from being stored I started at the front and put the remaining coiled strip on the roof. It seemed to hold itself up there ok. Lean the top of the strip towards the roof and feed it onto the awning rail then pull towards you and it seems to pull itself into position. I did a couple of inches at a time. It definitely helped that it kept it's coiled shape when unpacked though.
I didn't use any step or silicone spray as I thought I'd try without first.
I can imagine trying to fit it on a cold wet campsite would be completely different though so I might try leaving it on while travelling. It does seem to be a very secure fit.

Martin

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.257 Posts

512 is the one to go for in the caravan world of stick, seal and fix. I had a tube from the recent fixing of rear bike carrier and tidying up the sealent mess around my awning rail. I must say though that if buying for just this job I would be tempted to buy the EBT from Screwfix, purely on the grounds of cost http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaflex-...ite-300ml/87344

Tips for the job.
- if you cut the gutter strip down in length to about 50mm short of the two drain points in the awning rail you will find at about 3350 mm it easily exceeds the length of you awning in the track [of your Triton]. I also radiused the top corner so it looked better.
- you know about warming the strip, taking it bit by bit and also easing the slot open.
- when it is finally on leave it a day to rest, I planned a few days but one turned out to be OK.
- I planned on masking off prior to applying the Sikaflex, but this was not feasible.
- cut the end of the Sikaflex nozzle so you can use the smallest hole possible.
- ease the bottom edge of the strip up a couple of mm, squirting the Sikaflex in as you go along the full length, pulling it back down as you go along.
- use a wet finger to smooth the joint, pushing the Sikaflex into the gap, every so often wiping the excess off your finger onto a piece of kitchen towel.
- using a lots of pieces of clean white rag moistend with meths repeatedly wipe the joint area clean.
- fold another piece of meths moistened rag and clean out the awning cord track.
- go back a couple of hours later and clean the areas again.

The next day I checked my efforts and the strip seems to be well and truly stuck in place.

Best of luck - Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm
by SteveH (deleted)

I'm going to apply all of these tips over the weekend. Haven't been brave enough to attempt this little challenge yet.

Yorkshire chap showing Essex folk how it should be done sInce 1986.
Phillys the Hilux tugging Winnie the Troll 550.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:40 pm
by kevandnia (deleted)

Finally got our gutter fitted this morning. Took about an hour all told. It's quite obvious that the issue is where the strip has been kinked by being folded into a tight roll. I tried quite a few different tools to open the channel in these areas and the best one by far was a blunt table knife. I'm going to leave it on for the next week and then stick it in place with sikaflex. Just need one more dry day before we go away in a fortnight.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:06 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Probably only needs a dab of adhesive at ends and middle.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:15 pm
by Meoldcocker (deleted)

I'm not sure if the awning gutter strip is the same as the one which came with my AL porch awning but I fitted mine on my Pan Duo today for the first time. I partially straightened the strip out and fitted it a few inches at a time starting from the left.By chance I did it the same way as chezmart ie lean it towards the roof then pull it towards you.When the full length is on it will "lean" slightly towards you but it can easily be pushed back to a vertical state.Some pressure is required but I did it in less than 10 minutes. I did not warm it up but my better half supported the other end of the strip.There appears to be a right and wrong way round - there is a slight kink/bend in the bit that fits over the rail which follows the shape of the rail. Hope that makes sense....

chezmart and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 am
by Deeps (deleted)

The picture that I posted (post 15) clearly shows the shape of the groove.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:48 am
by Meoldcocker (deleted)

Good one Deeps. Your photo shows it exactly. (I had already tried to fit it the wrong way round.... )

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 pm
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

5 mins to fit your strip, you lucky lad, mine was rolled up so tight that I had to open up the slot constantly to progress with it, took me a good 40 mins, where's my glue, this is staying on.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:58 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

Well after reading all the posts on here, it was our turn this afternoon, The first 15cms went on , then we couldn't get anymore, tried warming it with the hairdryer, nope it wasn't having it. On further inspection the groove wasn't the same gap all the way along, as our strip came rolled and tightly fastened with tie wraps, it had been squashed.
Went on to try all sorts, knitting needles, screwdriver all sorts, etc etc. Eventually used a small pair of closed artery forceps to push and slightly twist along to open the groove, worrying that I might open it too far.
Woopy do, strip is on, and we are going to fasten it on, as we think, if we rolled it up again, we would incur the same problem.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:30 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Has anyone thought to inform the supplier and suggest that they refrain from delivering the strip in this manner?

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:22 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

I plan on giving my supplier feedback, on Monday,

Scroll up

Page 3 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105334 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0