Page 6 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

RE: Awning gutter strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 am
by Keef (deleted)

Sorry but I had to repeat here an issue that has been mentioned on this site but may have been missed
If we look at the keder ends prior to any cutting, there are two short lines of stitching that go across very near the keder ends. This stitching ensures the keder material and plastic beading retain their integrity. The material will not fray and the beading will not creep out of its material tube or retreat into the tube.
Keder ends are subject to pressure and manhandling.
The Kampa fix makes no mention of the need for stitching on the newly formed ends. Is it not necessary, have they
missed it, or does it move the "cut the keder fix" into another dimension?
I would be interested to see one of the modified keder at the end of the season.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Keef wrote in post #75
The fact that the Eriba market alone cannot support the costs of the new pop awnings is academic to us the customers and deserves no understanding or sympathy.
Quote from Kampa website
"There are four sizes specifically designed to fit the different sized Eriba Touring Caravans.
Are they still selling the awning having full knowledge that the product does not fit?

For what it's worth, I reckon Keef is spot on here.

Kampa claim to make awnings 'specifically designed to fit the different sized Eriba Touring Caravans', yet the results of an increasing number of field trials by customers would appear to contradict this.

It's up to Kampa to make the modifications necessary to ensure that the awnings do what's advertised, not the customer.

I think it's unacceptable for Kampa to suggest hacking bits off here and there, even if they say that the warranty would be unaffected. This puts the onus on the customers, and that isn't right. It isn't for me to say that Kampa are dodging their responsibilities to provide a product which both meets their own claims and is fit for purpose, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

And what happens if someone misinterprets Kampas DIY modifications and cuts a bit too much off by accident? How does the warranty stack up then?

I may be wrong, but I don't see how their research could have been as exhaustive as it clearly needed to be, and I think they ought to offer anyone demonstrably affected a suitably modified (and successfully field-tested) replacement at no cost.

As Keef says, Kampa's decision to invest time and money in supporting what is an admittedly small market is their problem, not ours.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am
by eribaMotters | 5.287 Posts

A suggestion, as an owner awaiting chance to test awning.

Over the summer all owners take photographs and write a bullet point list of comments, positive and negative, on the awning, stating eriba model and year it is attached to.
At the end of the season on a date that forum members decide this feedback is sent to Kampa, at an e-mail address of there choosing, for feedback to be collated.

This way a true picture should emerge.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #78
A suggestion, as an owner awaiting chance to test awning.

Over the summer all owners take photographs and write a bullet point list of comments, positive and negative, on the awning, stating eriba model and year it is attached to.
At the end of the season on a date that forum members decide this feedback is sent to Kampa, at an e-mail address of there choosing, for feedback to be collated.

This way a true picture should emerge.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with customer feedback per se, I can't help thinking that in this case the difference between customer feedback and doing Kampa's research for them is getting just a little bit blurred.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:58 am
by Keef (deleted)

Absolutely right Pepe.
Yes I am sure Kampa would like a seasons feedback hundreds of trips across all models. Where would be the customer's plus? Fantastic for Kampa and also for our Eriba buddies that buy version 2.
Also it is distressing going caravanning and waiting for keder ends to be pulled or looking and the ends that have pulled. In my case checking the keder to rail stitching which is under unsustainable pressure. I think it's mean of Kampa they know what's going on, Where's the respect?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Well, given that AL are wall to wall with Kampa boxes to go out the fit may meet the shan some time soon.
Here's the horses mouth document

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 kampa-keder-cut.jpg 

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:53 am

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #81
Well, given that AL are wall to wall with Kampa boxes to go out the fit may meet the shan some time soon.
Here's the horses mouth document
If you've got a post-2010 van and cut the beading, it isn't a universal fit any more.

It's not inconceivable that were you to try and sell it later on, it might be of less interest to someone with a pre-2010 van. Would you buy one which someone has cut lumps off, or one which is right for your van?

I still think Kampa ought to be sorting this themselves, even if it meant selling two versions of the same sized awning.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am

If we give feedback to Kampa then they are in a situation to know what they need to do for the awning to fit correctly and please future owners.
As regards those who have already purchased the awnings I do not know.
If we do not give the feedback I cannot see the point in moaning about this issue as nothing will happen.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #83
If we give feedback to Kampa then they are in a situation to know what they need to do for the awning to fit correctly and please future owners.
As regards those who have already purchased the awnings I do not know.
If we do not give the feedback I cannot see the point in moaning about this issue as nothing will happen.
Kampa come on here. This entire thread is feedback.

And there's a big difference between moaning and voicing legitimate concerns.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am
by Keef (deleted)

Thanks again Pepe. That's why this forum is so useful, similar minded people applying their brains to the issues.
Absolutely right, of all the aspects I had considered aided by you people, I had not considered re-sale. If an individual were to sell one of these awnings or a van and awning, the awning is unsaleable. It may or may not fit the buyers caravan. If it does we will have to explain the cut keder and the frayed keder ends. Then a messy expaination of the history. I would suggest don't sell it because you will then have the buyer on the phone after their first trip.
In summary these awnings will be unsaleable. Otherwise we become the bad person and Kampa by default .
Can you imagine the conversation between the seller and customer. I say unsaleable maybe not, but to rest easy the price would have to be ridiculously low to a very restricted market.
If I were a potential buyer I'd walk away. Finally the Eriba community being well informed, first question most buyers would ask is " it's not one of those 2016 modified models, is it?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:59 am

My apologies for not wording things correctly.

If I have a gripe about a product I go directly to the distributor or manufacturer to address the issue. This is how I believe you should go about voicing legitimate concerns.
Unfortunately some owners may not do so, preferring to what I call moan about the situation [even though the situation may not be acceptable], which is of no benefit to them, the manufacture of the faulty product, or future owners.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Just purchased a Kampa 290 for my 20001 Puck L - Generally very pleased with the awning- however on the Puck L there is a secondary awning rail above the gutter - this awning channel is NOT Curved at end, completely straight open ended, BUT still the kader ends pull out ! Not really a problem, but it worried me that it would jam the strip in the channel and make it very difficult to remove the awning from the van for departure ! As it transpired it was not a problem :) I have now closed the ends of the rail slot to make a tighter fit. I don't think the problem is the curve of the other rails, rather that the inflated cross tube which runs parallel to the awning rail is too fat and exerts considerable force against the awning rail, pulling out the ends, where it is susceptible due to the slight opening of the rail due to previous use ! Also of note is that with this secondary rail it is impossible to fit the weather strip as it seems to be a different profile to the standard rail ! It goes on but is so loose that it cannot stay on more than a few seconds ! I must investigate the latter in case I've not tried fitting it correctly yet !

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #86
Unfortunately some owners may not do so, preferring to what I call moan about the situation [even though the situation may not be acceptable], which is of no benefit to them, the manufacture of the faulty product, or future owners.
Unfortunate for whom?

And how is it of no benefit to them, the manufacturer of the product or future owners?

As a place for pooling resources and opinion - subjective or otherwise - forums like this have no peer. They are a mine of information of all shades for anyone who chooses to read them, which is presumably why you use them yourself.

If you're suggesting that the contributors to this thread are moaners because they choose to voice their opinions here rather than do it the way you think is best, I think you're being unkind.

yy-R56kh

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:59 pm
by Keef (deleted)

Hi, in paricular.Eribamotters.
I have done my research, in addition to moaning. I phoned Kampa on Monday 10/04/17 and asked to speak with Mark Lawless the MD. Laura answered the phone and said he was not available at that moment and did he know me, to which I replied no. Laura said he would not return a call to someone he did not know. I explained briefly the reason for my call, she spoke with one of her colleagues who said I need to speak with Max Lawless who returns from leave Tuesday 18/04/17.
Due to level of activity on this forum, I tried once again this morning to speak with Mark Lawless. Mark is on leave until 18/04/17.
It is my intention to speak with Max as advised.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Now that is what I call doing something. I would be interested in the response you get.

Colin

Scroll up

Page 6 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

Visitors
6 Members and 64 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105509 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6