Bara Brith

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 pm
by ellen (deleted)

A question for my Welsh friends, last summer while in Anglesey we treated ourselves to a Bara Brith cake. It was delicious, weighed a ton as it was soooo full of fruit. My son in law brought us one back from Wales last week, the label said it was Bara Brith but it was very different from the one we had previous. This one was more like a fruit loaf rather than a cake. So the question is, are there different names for these two very different Bara Briths?

Scroll up

RE: Bara Brith

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm
by Crystal | 244 Posts

Think Bara Brith means 'speckled bread' and there are lots of different recipes. The one I remember making used lots of dried fruit soaked in tea, and I can remember it being heavy and delicious. Sometimes they use yeast, so I suppose that version would be lighter. Not having been born in Wales, I can't reveal my nanna's ancient recipe, but would definitely use the soaked fruit version.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:15 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Isn't it similar to the Scottish 'Black Bun'?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 am
by Crow (deleted)

They are all copies of the famous Yorkshire Barmbrack

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 am

I was being too modest to say that Rod.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:19 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 am
by ellen (deleted)

We will try the Barmbrack next time in Yorkshire, we love a lemon curd type tart that we tried at Grassington, it had raisins in and was delightful. We tend to have our favourite eats wherever we go ie; Salmon at Oban. Chippy fish and. Chps at Northumberland. Welsh cakes and Bara Brith in Wales, scones and pies from the bakery, Grange over Sands. The list goes on and on, Ellen

Last edited Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:10 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:23 am

That'll be Yorkshire Curd Tart Ellen, v nice. I bake a v good Fat Rascal I'm told and anything from Betty's is good, v expensive but superb quality and service.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 am
by Crow (deleted)

I adore Curd Tart and 1" thick Treacle Tart
Rhubarb and Anchovy Tart is still a no no

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 am
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Quote: Crow wrote in post #8
I adore Curd Tart and 1" thick Treacle Tart
Rhubarb and Anchovy Tart is still a no no

Little wonder Sue was forcing you to do what you were doing when we spoke the other day

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:49 am
by Crystal | 244 Posts

Don't forget to have cockles and lava bread if you come to South Wales, Ellen
Roger makes gorgeous lava bread 'burgers' with oats too makes me hungry!

Last edited Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 am
by ellen (deleted)

Suggestion for a future meet, why don't we all take something local to our area for the evening get together? I can't bake to save my life but we could take some Bury black puddings. Next year we hope to try different parts of the country and thanks to Rogers report on the dark skies of the Brecon Becons we hope to visit that area and areas by the coast nearby. So will definately try the lava bread. As hubby has been told he has 4 days holidays that he can carry over to next year we hope to get to Dumfries and Galloway as well as our annual trip to Anglesey with our grandkids. Ps just.noticed, my signature has appeared, did I do that? If not thank you to whoever did it for me

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310

Last edited Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:02 am

I'd never heard of Staffordshire Oatcakes 'til we moved here four years ago.

They're oat based pancakes traditionally cooked and sold from tiny shops (often converted front rooms and sold from the front window).

There's all sorts of ways to eat them, with fried egg and bacon, grilled cheese, jam, marmalade etc. There's even a stall in Stoke City Centre (Hanley) that sells them. Stokey Street Food.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am
by Crow (deleted)

I used to buy oatcakes (6" pancakes) in Castleton,
from the very good butchers if I remember correctly

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2