VW emission debacle

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 pm
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

I have a 1.6 TDI VW Polo which I use to tow my Eriba Pan Duo T. My car has run perfectly for 6 years but had the "fix" done in March this year.After this it sounded like a tin of spanners rattling with a lumpy tickover and power surges.By June the EGR valve light was on permanately plus the heater plug light.VW agreed to look at the problem sympathetically... The bill came to £800 + and they did the work FOC.The car seems to be OK but time will tell.I have now had a letter from VW saying if EGR valve problems reoccur they will look sympathetically towards charging.Does this mean they think it will fail again? Anyone else had similar problems or feedback from VW?

Scroll up

RE: VW emission debacle

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:21 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Can I ask why you had the software modification done when there was nothing wrong with the car?

The so-called 'cheat' software wasn't activated by the emissions part of our MOT, and the modification wasn't compulsory anyway.

It's not meant to be a rude question - I'm just curious.

RF18-668/2
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 pm
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

I had many letters from VW and my local dealership asking me to get the "fix" done.To be honest I just presumed (always dangerous!) that it was necessary to get it done.Corrspondence went on for more than 12 months.I am not alone in this - thousands of cars have had the "fix".I realise that I should have stuck them out.There is now joint legal action against VW with a court date in October.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

I forgot to say that on the 1.6 diesel it was more than a software update - it also involved some recirculation pipework.Only on the 2.0 litre was it just software.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

Did you get the goody bag as compensation when you had it done !

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:56 pm
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

No.Just a loan car and some sort of offer on servicing.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

A coffee mug and a Skoda umbrella!

FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

BBC Watchdog did an article recently, a lot of people have complained that since the cheat software was updated a lot of VWs have been running very rough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p058nmk1

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

Thanks for the link.Not yet had a look but basically the "fix" is overworking the EGR valve.I was told that the "fix" could not be reversed! I have done 1100 miles since the new EGR valve was fitted including 300 miles towing.Seems OK but is regenerating (burning off the crap) more often.Heyden

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

I have a Skoda Yeti which I bought secondhand last year. I had the fix done in the New Year. Touch wood, nothing major has happened except twice the engine has completely cut out when going at low speed eg approaching a roundabout. I had no idea there had been problems with the fix until recently....a friend who bought a similar Yeti has had major problems with engine cutting out and EGR light coming on. She's made the garage take it back. I had a letter from Skoda last week similar to the one you have had, Finwoody. If I had known the potential problems I wouldn't have had the fix done.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105686 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1