Tow Car

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm
by Trroll (deleted)

I am considering changing my tow car as my Peugeot Partner Tepee 1600 does not appear up to pulling our Troll 540
I have been told I really need to consider a 2 litre engine.
Should I go for Deisel or Petrol
Manual or Automatic
I am considering the following
Skoda Yeti
Citroen Grand C4
Ford Galaxy
Volkswagen Touran
I need a tall boot for my garden tools as I am a professional gardener. So need height at the back. 5 doors is essential but not sliding doors as passengers often can't open them so any advice and what other Troll 540's are happy to push!

Scroll up

RE: Tow Car

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

I owned a Touran for 10 years and have had a Yeti now for three. The Touran was huge inside as you could remove the seats, as you can in the Yeti. The Touran was a good drive, but the Yeti is better. The Yeti is not however that big inside. Choice of box is down to personal choice, but dmf flywheels on manual versions of both in diesel form can be expensive. Ideally a 140 bhp dsg diesel would be a good choice.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
The Touran was huge inside as you could remove the seats

Colin

Sadly with the newer version the seats are lighter but fixed in place.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:37 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Ford Galaxy. Huge flat space for your garden tools but no spare wheel.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

Sadly with the newer version the seats are lighter but fixed in place.
[/quote]

I think that is what you would call a retrograde step. Another is the move to 7 seats. Initially on launch 5/7 was an option. Mine had 7 and after a couple of years the back two came out [20 minutes to remove/re-fit] and the bot was even bigger. I also carried a spare wheel sourced from a VW Golf and carried it in a see through zip IKEA bag.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5

I think that is what you would call a retrograde step.

Agreed, Colin, but I guess this was driven by the requirement placed on manufacturers to make their vehicles more fuel efficient and the losing of weight then became high on the agenda.

Mine too was a 7-seater and right from the get-go the rear two seats were always laid flat with the cushion covers never seeing the light of day LOL. Had it not been for this retrograde step - in my opinion of course - I might have considered another Touran; the 2 litre version, but I'm well happy with the Mazda CX 5 at this moment in time.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 am
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

A Touran or Galaxy/Sharon/Alhambra for me too. As others have said, unfortunately all choices now have fixed seats which fold down.

Our 2010 Touran does have removable seats and has served us well since new as did our early model Galaxy. The beauty of the above models is the squareness of the back and the headroom it gives. Also a large tailgate.

If I were looking for a car now I'd probably first look at the VW Caddy Maxi Life which has a long wheel base and the option to remove the seats.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7
If I were looking for a car now I'd probably first look at the VW Caddy Maxi Life which has a long wheel base and the option to remove the seats.
Really? Are you thinking of opening a funeral parlour?

RF18-668/2
mr_underhill and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #8
[Really? Are you thinking of opening a funeral parlour? .

Hmmm Hadn't thought of that.

Could I employ you as the Mute? I promise I won't run you over.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Eribanut and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105515 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2