Which mirrors?

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am
by Journeyers55 (deleted)

Hi guys can any of you clever folks help sorting out towing with T4 VW the issue of mirrors to use for a 420 the van is basically the same width and vision is good with van mirrors do we need the fiddle with towing mirrors or not as they are a bit of a pain to fit
Caz

2017 eriba Triton 420 & 2017 Suzuki SX4 S-Cross sz5 Allgrip
Scroll up

RE: Which mirrors?

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Caz,
you have to meet certain legal requirements when towing, that you may already do with the T4 mirrors.
What is a definite though is using the mirrors will improve your view and in the event of an accident or being pulled over you would not be attempting to argue the toss that you are legally in the right.
The faff of fitting mirrors pales into insignificance when you have that greater vision and peace of mind.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:58 am
by Bryn | 991 Posts

The aero mirrors are quick and easy to fit and work well, in France the gendarmes " prefer mirrors " when towing!!!!!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:41 pm
by Journeyers55 (deleted)

Thanks for the replies mirrors it is then still doing the uk at the moment and sir has three sets to choose from as always carry a spare pair in the car.

2017 eriba Triton 420 & 2017 Suzuki SX4 S-Cross sz5 Allgrip
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

The van is same width as the car and we don't use extras although having them in the boot. Travelled lots of continent and never had a prob. Grey area though.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

For many years, I towed an Esterel folding caravan and the mirrors on the car were perfectly adequate. When I got the Eriba, I carried on in the same vein. It was only when a pal who had replaced his tow car gave me a set of Milenco Aeros as they no longer ftted his car that I started using towing mirrors. I really was quite taken aback as to the difference they made. I find them particularly useful when abroad and don't think I'd travel without them now...

Bryn and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:53 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I don't think I've ever seen a car towing an eribas here WITH mirrors.
Largeur de la voiture et de la caravane à prendre en compte

Du coup, c’est en fonction de la largeur du véhicule tracteur, de la surface de ses rétroviseurs d’origine, et de la largeur de la carrosserie de la caravane que se détermine l’obligation ou pas d’avoir des rétroviseurs additionnels. Avec une caravane pliante ou de caisse étroite, aucun problème. Si l’on tracte avec une berline moyenne une caravane de caisse de plus de 2 m de large, il faut se poser la question.

For you Brits with RHD I imagine it's difficult to see well without extra mirrors.

Last edited Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:54 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am
by Bryn | 991 Posts

I have a r/h drive car ( fully french registered) and although it appears the vision without extra mirrors is good the difference having towing ( aero) mirrors is much better, and safer

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Islay Corbel wrote in post #7
I don't think I've ever seen a car towing an eribas here WITH mirrors.
Si l’on tracte avec une berline moyenne une caravane de caisse de plus de 2 m de large, il faut se poser la question.

That last line leaves a lot open to interpretation, not translation. How exactly does one define a 'medium sized sedan' or a caravan of 'more than 2m' for example? Does the more begin at the 2m mark or 2.1m plus for example?

I personally agree with other posters, including those way back when this subject was previously aired, that having extension mirrors attached is certainly the way to go. I myself drive a pretty large SUV with a very good rear view down the side and which would most probably meet any legal requirements connected with this issue. That said, extension mirrors provide me with that 'little bit extra' which, when towing, provides me with more all-round vision which I personally believe is of great benefit. Many years of driving all manner of vehicles, including HGV's of several varieties have taught me that one can never have enough rear and down the side vision and for the cost involved is really a no brainer.

Having said all that, I'm not a great lover of Milenco mirrors or any other type that rely either on rubber bands or brackets screwed to the outside rims of the cars mirrors. I've always been left with that feeling upon tightening the screws of 'when is the plastic rim going to crack' and several times during convenience stops have needed to add an extra turn or two to the screws which, in doing so, alters the angle set for the mirrors. For the past two seasons I've used EMUK Special Mirrors which are designed especially for my type of vehicle and given the choice would never revert to using any other make in the future. They are certainly not cheap but look good, attach with far less effort that with other mirrors that I have used in the past and a rock solid stable.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Also, wingies have evolved a lot in recent years. I would consider my husband seriously cautious when it comes to safety and he would add extensions if he considered there to be a danger.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

If anyone requires a spare mirror you will find one of my Milenco Aero 2 mirrors on the southbound side of Nantes Peripherique on the hard shoulder if still there

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 am

Oooo. Not too far from us. I'll look out for it lol

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 pm
by Rustybaby (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Journeyers55 wrote in post #1
Hi guys can any of you clever folks help sorting out towing with T4 VW the issue of mirrors to use for a 420 the van is basically the same width and vision is good with van mirrors do we need the fiddle with towing mirrors or not as they are a bit of a pain to fit
Caz

I have always used ‘Suck and See’ mirrors, from Towsure. You can get them on eBay.
They take seconds to put on, and are totally adjustable with your cars electric mirrors.
I’ve never had one come off, but they do have a discreet cord in case they do.
They were developed and tested at speeds of 120mph, there used to be a video of this on YouTube.
Russ

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

I use the suck and see as well..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 pm
by Rustybaby (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #14
I use the suck and see as well..

I let my last ones go when I sold my folding camper last year, so have just bought these ones from eBay within the last hour.
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suck-It-amp-Se...cvip=true&rt=nc

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105549 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2