RE: Battening down the hatches

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 am
by ellen (deleted)

Just rain up to now here in Bury, Lancs. Our thoughts are with the people in the south as this morning looks to be a bad one, keep safe folks. Ellen.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:04 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

It was a bit scary in the early hours. The gusting wind woke me at 05:00 (we sleep in a loft conversion with Velux windows so it tends to be a bit noisy) and as soon as it was light enough to see outside I found that two fence panels had popped out of their concrete post and water had penetrated past the poorly sealed edge of one window. If that's all then we got away lightly.

Local radio is talking about numerous road closures due to fallen trees and flooding throughout the area and no trains are currently running. 99mph gusts were reported at The Needles just across The Solent from us but that is a very exposed spot.

The wind has now died down here as the storm moves off towards Holland, Denmark and Germany.

A lot of people around here are saying, "Storm. What storm?" It's all a bit of an anticlimax.

Just checked the Triton and found a rip in the cover where I'd guyed it down. Perhaps if I'd left it alone? Anyway, it's an easy repair.

P1000868.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Our thoughts are with the people in the south
Knowing how much you like the rain Ellen, I hope those thoughts are not of envy?
Seriously though, we've been very lucky here too. It's not normally that way and that big blue arrow on last night's weather forecasts on TV were right above us.
The two people furthest south are Graculus and Eribanut who are both hopefully OK.
Also thoughts for Tee Pee who we believe is riding it out in his Eriba somewhere on the east coast.
R

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Well we had some gusting, but nothing really extreme, and very heavy rain. I think the Unico would have coped.
I hope everybody in the south and west is OK!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am
by Crow (deleted)

Storm what storm?
I'd rather they played it safe.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

we have heavy rain and wind but nothing above normal as yet
the last 110 mph wind we had about 7years ago moved a great shed 3 feet it was in a sheltered part of garden!!
I don't remember any warnings about that particular event, I am guessing it was the micheal fish incident, thats caused all the weather news
very sad to hear of the lost boy in the rough sea
hoping everyone stays safe warm and dry

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:22 pm
by Eribanut | 2.024 Posts

We are OK today we were expecting the worst of the weather but thankfully think the brunt of it must have moved up the channel as see the the south coast was affected and then it moved inland over the south-east (which is what happened in 1987 storm.
We lived in East Sussex at the time.
Hope Tee Pee is ok as believe it went over Norfolk east coast area.

Mike

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105329 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3