Battening down the hatches

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:19 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

For anyone who hasn't heard the latest weather forecast, there is a major storm currently brewing in the Atlantic that is expected to hit Wales and southern England sometime this weekend bringing torrential rain and gusts of around 80mph. Flooding and structural damage to property are expected.

If you have a cover on your caravan it might be wise to check that it is fastened down securely and that any sharp edges (such as the gas fire chimney) are well padded with bubble wrap or something similar. Additional guy ropes might also be a good idea.

My cover was cut through during one storm when the tennis ball I'd jammed into the top of the flue came loose.

Scroll up

RE: Battening down the hatches

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 pm
by Stew (deleted)

Makes a change for Scotland not to be included! Our turn will come - several times over.

Good advice and good luck.

Stewart

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 am
by ellen (deleted)

We had a bad hail storm here on Friday, hopefully Doo-Dah may have missed it as he is stored 20 minutes from home. It will be a couple of weeks before we can get over so it's fingers x that he is ok. Keep safe in the storm to come everyone. Ellen.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 am
by Frantone (deleted)

We are in Norfolk at the moment and have been debating whether to return home today before the big blast. Because it is supposed to be worse in the SW we have decided to stay. If the awning dries out this morning we will take it down later today and then shut ourselves in for a cosy noisy night. Then return home on Tuesday.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:54 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

We're really worried about you both Mate. You take care yes?
R

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am
by Frantone (deleted)

The domestic authority reckons that our 'Unico Dogs Bolognas' would stand up to the forecasted blast.
Actually I am tempted to give it a go but there is the possibility that the van itself could be damaged by the awning if things go mammaries upwards! 😱

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Tend to agree with you - when we clung on through several bouts of mistral this year the awning stood anchored down, but the Eriba was jumping up and down like a bucking bronco!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Reminds me of The Great West Pembrokeshire Storm of 2010. We were pitched at Leithyr Meadow CC site nr St Davids. The winds were biblical and Poppy rocked about all night, even with the roof down and no awning erected.

The neighbouring motorhome had its porch awning poles twisted like plasticine. Three motorhomes opposite started the gale parked normally on their hardstandings, but the next morning they'd all moved to be diagonal across their pitches to face their cabs into the wind. I presume they hadn't blown that way, but for all the world they looked as if they were at anchor and moving around with the tide!

Oddly it seems it was only the far western edge of the Pembrokeshire peninsula that got hit as there was no mention of such a bad storm on the news or in the papers.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:07 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

I fitted some guy ropes to our caravan cover this morning when the wind was gusting quite strongly here on the south coast and promising to get much worse.

Just now it seems to have calmed down a bit - but is that just the infamous 'calm before the storm'? Fingers crossed.

What's happening where you are?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:26 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Before the blast it is still very gusty here in Norfolk but we are in for the duration.
The site owner has just called in to offer any help for later if required which was nice of him.
What's it like wherever you are?

Looks like the forum has another storm to worry about.

Last edited Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

It's been a bit gusty this afternoon with showers and the occasional sunny spell. I was even able to spend a pleasant hour hacking (pruning) the ivy on our neighbour's garage wall.

As dusk falls it's calmed a bit.

I've just looked at our local BBC weather and it says windspeed this afternoon was '18' and that the highest it will be tomorrow is '16', so in theory it seems we shouldn't get a big hammering. However it does say 'heavy rain from 10 tonight to 10 tomorrow morning.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 pm
by Crow (deleted)

I have just arrived back from Monmouth, and the old Severn Bridge is closed to high sided vehicles.
I think the van parked by the cones on the Welsh side were ready to close the bridge completely.
I put an awning strap around the back porch roof to stop the panels flying away and causing any
damage.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:37 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We had some gusts and heavy rain last night and neighbour had large branch on a conifer keel over in their front garden which finished up over the footpath and into the road.
Cut it down in case of any accidents.

Today we have had a few squally showers and gusts. Cleaned out all the gutters yesterday as we have lots of trees around us which are putting leaves everywhere.

SW rail are advising people not to travel .

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am
by Crow (deleted)

Lots of trees down, the ground is so wet, their roots are in soup,
many are still in leaf so the wind just pushes 'em over.
Worse some trees are being loosened and just standing there,
we watched a large tree in a field (near the road home), and it suddenly
still vertical, slid, and stood like a tooth out of a socket next to its former home

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 am

The wind's quite quiet up (or down) here, but it's been raining for hours, although not overly hard.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4