Diesel or Petrol / PCP or Cash?

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

Hello, and let me apologise straight away - twice! Once for posting in the wrong category - for some reason it won't offer the "create new thread" in a lot of categories and I can't work out why!

Secondly, I'm sure this topic has been done to death in the past, though I have searched, and not found much recently:

Petrol v diesel - we're changing our car, and with all the negative general press about diesels - and the looming budget - we're nervous about getting another diesel, despite what appears to be continuing preference in the caravanning press. We want to do the environmentally "right" thing, but with the Euro 5/6 diesels it seems that they are now so much cleaner than older ones (like we have at the moment).

On the other hand, the new turbo petrol engines with bigger torque seem to offer a better towing experience than older petrols...

What do peeps currently think?

Also, any views on PCP contracts for buying new / almost new? Or is cash still king?

Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Diesel or Petrol / PCP or Cash?

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

I share your concern on the petrol/diesel debate. The only good bit of news for [most] Eriba owners is that a modern petrol will cope with towing our vans.

T`he 1.5tsi VAG engine produces 250N/m torque [same as my 2.0L diesel Yeti], sufficient to pull a Triton and just about a Troll. It also has 150bhp so fun when not towing. The torque is also available across a wider rev range through the gears than in the diesel. This is available in the Skoda Karoq and Octavia.and should be on your radar. The Octavia estate has an excellent reputation and the Karoq seems to promise the same. As an aside, if you go onto the fleet site below you will see the predicted 3yr value is high.
ttps://www.fleetnews.co.uk/car-running-c...FuelType=petrol

PCP has taken a bit of a hit with PCH now readily available for private buyers. If you have the cash and want to "own" your car the trick is to go onto the broker sites eg: http://www.carfile.net/results.php?make=...KAROQ&bodytype=
Or once the Karoz is more readily available https://www.drivethedeal.com/
These cars are sourced from dealers and have the full benefit of manufacturer/dealer contributions and lowish APR rates, possibly along with a free or reduced price service plan. You sign on the dotted line and then a month later pay of the debt.

Other manufactures do similar, and if you wanted more oomph then a Mercedes Benz C class 2.0L petrol estate can be had withr around £10K discount by following the same method. https://www.uknewcars.com/buy-new/merced...ass_estate.html

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Quote: Rfjamieson1 wrote in post #1
Hello, and let me apologise straight away - twice! Once for posting in the wrong category - for some reason it won't offer the "create new thread" in a lot of categories and I can't work out why!
That's because we have made some threads, the detailed 'How to..................' section for example, read-only so as to keep the information more readily accessible to members.

Where were you trying to post your new thread?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

Thanks, Colin. Not come across PCH yet. As for PCP, I think there are just too many unknowns - residual value, and mileage specifically.

I'll certainly check out the VW engines, but I have been particularly drawn to the Merc - though the petrol ones are few and far between.

I'm not clear on your advice re signing on the dotted line and then paying the cash - do you mean entering a PCP deal, then paying it off shortly after? .

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:05 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

Hi Aaron, I was trying to post in "Towing tips, tricks and tow-cars" - I just had another look, and there's still no provision to post.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Rfjamieson1 wrote in post #5
I was trying to post in "Towing tips, tricks and tow-cars" - I just had another look, and there's still no provision to post.
I'm not sure how to help - this thread is showing in the Towing tips section.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

If you check out the PCP deals then in the small print you will probably find nothing to say you cannot pay them off whenever you want. I did this on my Yeti about 6 months early and saved some interest charges.
So you take out the PCP and have the benefit of the manufacturers/dealers contribution, and then if you have the cash pay off the amount on credit asap. You may have a termination fee for early completion but it will probably be minimal.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3