Site charges

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:38 am
by KeithF (deleted)

Hi how do people feel about paying £20 plus per night for a pitch with all mod cons? we like good hot showers , walks without using the car to get there and good pubs that serve tasty food and beer. Its nice to find those hidden places that cover all bases cheaper ,but we have all invested time and money buying our vans and its a holiday why not push the boat out .
all feedback welcome

Scroll up

RE: Site charges

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:52 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.083 Posts

It's a difficult question.

Most of our caravanning is done in France out of season using an ACSI card so, at 2013 prices, we knew that the maximum we would be charged per night for van, two people and electricity would be 16 (£13.66). We never book in advance and have always managed to get a pitch without problem and, generally speaking, the weather in France beats the UK hands down.

So far, in three years of caravanning, we have only stayed at three UK caravan sites, two were Caravan Club and one was private. Even in January and March we were expected to make an advance booking (although each could have accommodated us a dozen times over had we simply turned up unannounced).

It has to be said that the UK sanitary accommodation was superior to any we have so far found in France - better showers, heated sanitary blocks, toilet paper provided etc.) but the UK prices are a joke. Have a look at the 'Old Oaks' thread and you'll see what I mean.

We are definitely put off from touring in the UK (although we will do it one day) by the extortionate prices but CLs are really out of the question for us with an Eriba. We want electricity, good showers and decent sanitation so if we were to go down the CL route we'd probably swap the Eriba for a modern British van - and we don't want to do that.

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Old Oaks pitch pricing goes from £16 for a hardstanding pitch in low season with aged discount up to £32.25 for a superpitch in high season. However bear in mind they've just spent the thick end of half a million on their new facilities block and they've not added any extra pitches to earn income to pay off that investment. No wonder Tara looks around for additional sources of income.

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:51 am
by Randa france | 7.177 Posts

Zitat
Hi how do people feel about paying £20 plus per night for a pitch with all mod cons?

Like Graculus, we do much of our camping abroad using ACSI which brings rather expensive sites down to an affordable price. However I do think that ACSI site facilities match the quality of most expensive British camp sites with the exception of Old Oaks and Fforest Fields.
I can well understand where you're coming from though. Because you still spend most of your life working hard trying to keep this country afloat, the little time you get to enjoy camping weekends or annual holidays shouldn't be marred by dodgy camp site facilities.
We have no excuse however as our time is our own and should really explore the cheaper camp sites both in this country and abroad.
Charlie is the expert at finding cheap good quality camp sites during his travels and of course, because the sites he chooses are often empty, if he does happen upon a site where the facilities are not quite perfect then it isn't so important because there are very few campers using them.
Unfortunately I'm not as brave as that stout fellow and worry myself sick if I roll up at a camp site that is severely underpopulated. Safety in numbers and all that. That is why I go for the more popular and more expensive sites, although in France at least, they are just as likely to be empty at the time of year we travel.
Randa

Last edited Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 am | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:35 pm

that stout fellow
Oh how easily we can misjudge someone

http://gifsdomi.files.wordpress.com/2013...gif?w=177&h=133
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:56 pm
by hob (deleted)

Hi how do people feel about paying £20 plus per night for a pitch with all mod cons?

I tend to draw the line at about £150 a week (£21,50 a night)

I was looking at one last night that wanted £214.20 for a week (£30.60 a night) in high season just for 2 people + electric + awning.

I used to rent furnished holiday cottages for not much more than that

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 pm

This is why I urge you to have a look at the prices of camp sites abroad gladly.
I think it was Forseti who commented that the Dutch have got camping down to a fine art.
Thousands of Europeans take advantage of this Dutch organisation http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/
It's pronounced axsi and for about £12 a year membership, we can take advantage of many thousands of camp sites they promote throughout Europe and the charges range from 12 Euros to 16 Euros all in (large pitches, free lecci, free showers etc) as long as you travel outside the high season. In France the high season means Mid July -End of August. It'a a bit more complicated in Germany and other countries but each camp site on this link indicates when their high season is.
Each year, you get two thick manuals listing the camp sites and a map showing their locations. The annual charge pays for itself in 3 days of camping. Even if we can't persuade you to take the plunge, have a trawl through the website anyway. Just click on a country on the map and follow your nose. It's great fun reading the reviews.

Last edited Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 pm | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7
In France the high season means Mid July -End of August.

Well, you learn something new every day!

I thought ACSI rates were not available for the whole of July and August but I've just had a browse and some sites are indeed available in early July and late August.. Well, well.

Here I have to admit to having driven miles out of my way down narrow roads in the Ardèche only to find that the campsite had closed in early September. As the site access was very narrow and in the entrance to a farm I had to unhitch and turn the van around on the mover to get out.

A certain Welsh Admin person did mock me mercilessly in "another place" for this especially after I did exactly the same thing with the next site I tried to get on.

Moral: always read the sites opening and closing dates before going. Doh!

Finding sites in France that are still open in late September and early October can be a bit of a problem.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am
by Frantone | 2.092 Posts

Moral: always read the sites opening and closing dates before going.

Alternatively, don't let anybody else know your mistakes!

ps love the emoticons!

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 am

Zitat
A certain Welsh Admin person did mock me mercilessly in "another place" for this especially after I did exactly the same thing with the next site I tried to get on.

Was that before or after you got shot? And I thought you preferred the other end of a gun

Last edited Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 am | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Zitat
Was that before or after you got shot? ]

That was at the third site I tried that day which luckily was open. I was becoming tired and pretty hacked off by the time we got there.

Anyway, it was a lovely site surrounded by orchards and woods but the following morning was the start of the hunting season and we woke up to something reminiscent of the first day of the Somme offensive.

Being a target shooting enthusiast myself I was standing outside our van trying to spot hunters or their quarry when I was whacked in the middle of the chest by a fortunately spent round.

It still stung but I was relieved that it hadn't hit the Eriba as if it had it would have had enough energy to put a ding in the aluminium skin. Mine heals.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 pm

We loved that story so much that we went out of our way this year to have a nose at your camp site. We were staying at Hauterieves at the time.

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:51 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Once a month we get our peaceful Sunday mornings disturbed by constant pop gun shooting from the other side of the village. They don't even wait for the church service to finish. The shooting ground is down half a mile of unmade track and must be hard by the West Coast Main Line although I've heard no complaints of people shooting at Virgins

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.227 Posts

Quote: Puss in Boots wrote in post #13
They don't even wait for the church service to finish.
What denomination is the congregation?

Seventh-day adventists never get shot at.

Last edited Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Zitat
although I've heard no complaints of people shooting at Virgins

Ah but perhaps it was the 4 10 from Shrews Bury and they are afraid they'll shot back

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: bazzapc
Board Statistics
The forum has 6758 topics and 62609 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4