Data Plug

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

We were given one free yesterday by VW.

Plug it into the dashboard and it reads and sends vehicle data to your smartphone via Bluetooth. Easy connection to the OBD2 port underneath the steering wheel.( I read that on the box )

Can someone enlighten me ( and Derek)?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Data Plug

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
Can someone enlighten me

Absolutely!

RTFM... .....

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Yes, but before I do, is it worth bothering with? Has anyone else got one and if so, do they use them?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #3
Yes, but before I do, is it worth bothering with? Has anyone else got one and if so, do they use them?

Randa
RTFM first, and then decide whether it's worth bothering with.

Sheesh... .........

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

I have a free app on my phone called 'Torque Lite' that connects via Bluetooth to an Onboard Diagnostic (OBD2) reader that plugs into the OBD port on the car allowing diagnosis of logged fault codes in the engine management computer.

There is also a full, paid version for techy types.

The device is very useful for checking for faults when the engine management warning light comes on.

Highly recommended.

This clip shows how to obtain the fault codes and diagnose the cause of the problem.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Pepé Le Pew and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:21 pm

I've got something similar, Mr C; it's called Carista. I managed to blag myself onto their beta testing gang so I get the full version for nothing.

It's very useful for diagnosis, as you say, and has saved me a ton of dosh over the past couple of years. An Audi dealership will charge sixty notes for plugging their combobulator into my OBD port no matter whether it's to check for a dud bulb or something much more complicated.

As cars get more and more dependent on electronics, a decent OBD dongle and app will also allow you to do stuff like resetting the service interval indicator after an oil change and rewind the pads on an electronic handbrake so you can change them, something you simply can't do without one.

I used mine to set the nearside door mirror to dip when reversing so that you can see the kerb and not mangle your alloys and get the instrument panel to display the oil temperature, something it doesn't do as standard any more.

Top gadgets.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105329 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4