UK Speed Limits

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

I was always lead to believe that a smallish Tranny/T5 van had the same speed restrictions as a family car. Apparently not.

" If you're borrowing or hiring a van, these are the important numbers you need to remember:

Built-up areas: 30mph
Single carriageways: 60mph
Dual carriageways: 70mph
Motorways: 70mph

Yes, that's exactly the same set of speed limits for cars. But this set of restrictions only applies if the van you're driving doesn't exceed two tonnes when it's fully loaded. If it does get heavier than that, then you are bound by the speed limits that apply to goods vehicles that weigh no more than 7.5 tonnes, which are as follows:

Built-up areas: 30mph
Single carriageways: 50mph
Dual carriageways: 60mph
Motorways: 70mph "

How many times are we "hustled" by vans on our roads when in fact they are often not allowed to travel faster than a car and trailer/caravan.

This caused me to look up the speed limits for large Campervans (MHs ).

If the Unladen weight is less than 3050kg then it's the same as for cars. However I read that often Campervan manufacturers do not include a number of the additional fixtures and fittings when plating the van which means that the van should have the same speed restrictions as us (except on motorways).

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm | Scroll up

RE: UK Speed Limits

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Is it the 'actual' weight or the 'plated' gross weight that defines the limits Randa?

I can see a driver starting off his day fully loaded and having to keep to lower limits and part way through the day dropping below the weight as he delivers stuff and therefore able to utilise an extra 10mph.

'I have nothing to do on this hot afternoon but to settle down and write you a line'
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The '3.05 tonnes unladen weight' is just that. So if a van or motorhome weighs below 3.05 tonnes unladen then it has the same speed limits as cars. Most panel van conversions and motorhomes are within that weight limit. Indeed most have Gross Vehicle Weight limit of 3.5 tonnes to allow use by dodderes like me that are over 70.

If they weigh over 3.05 tonnes without anything in them then they attract the 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways, like caravans, though unlike caravans they can still do 70mph on motorways.

'I have nothing to do on this hot afternoon but to settle down and write you a line'
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

When we bought our T5, I remember reading a lengthy debate on the T5 facebook forum on whether the speed was restricted. One member wrote to his local police force and got a very ambiguous reply. To be on the safe side we generally stuck to the lower speeds. We are inclined to pootle a bit anyway when towing so it never really bothered us, and of course the diesel consumption was a lot kinder. I'll see if I can find the letter from the police but it's some time ago now.

Edited to add - as I recall, it was the M1 or N1 class that was the issue. We went through a right parlarva to change our T5 classification to motor caravan on the V5 (for insurance purposes) after we had it converted, but you cant change the class. Ours was N1 (goods vehicle) and the advice from police was that only M1 vans (principally passenger vehicle like a caravelle or califrornia) were classed as cars and could do the higher speeds. Quite a few N1 class T5 drivers have been caught speeding and have successfully challenged it in court, as there are contradictory provisions. Our N1 T5 was bought new as a Kombi, which had rear seats and side windows and this contradictory provision (I can't recall where it was) provided that vans under a certain weight with side windows and rear seats were classed as cars.

The same anomalies apply fir road tax with T5s. We used to pay £140 a year for ours but some people have bought T5s to convert to campers to then find out that the road tax is £450! with varying amounts for other T5s inbetween.

2014 Triton 420 GT towed with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE with a 2018 Troll 535 on order.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6