All trailers - presumably inc Caravans - will need to be registered, with assoc fees.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

Our illustrious friend David (MCINND) posted this on the Eribafolk facebook page yesterday.

David used to be in that line of work so I presume his concerns are justified.What do others think?

"Unintended consequences of Brexit:
1) All trailers - presumably inc Caravans - will need to be registered, with assoc fees.

2) And its the end of the road for towing a car on an A-frame even within in the UK appears nigh.

The Government "Haulage Permits and Trailer Registration Bill 2018" has now been published.
It intends that trailers must be registered in the UK (just as they already are in lots of other countries).
This is an extract:

"Trailer Registration.
Policy Background
42 The UK’s proposed ratification of the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (“the 1968 Convention”) will ensure that, after exit day, UK drivers will continue to be able to drive in all EU countries. A consequence of ratification is that unregistered trailers could be turned away at the borders of other countries who have ratified the 1968 Convention. Therefore, for operational reasons, a trailer registration scheme needs to be implemented.

43 The Bill, therefore, also enables the Secretary of State to introduce a trailer registration scheme. The powers under the Bill will enable: the registration of trailers (including issuing documents and administering the scheme – e.g. changing keepers); registration marks (more commonly known as registration numbers) to be assigned and reassigned; fees to be charged for providing these services; and rules to be introduced regarding the carrying of registration documents and the formatting and placement of registration plates. Offences (summary only) may also be created by regulations.

Clause 12: Trailer registration

44 Clause 12 enables the Secretary of State, through regulations, to institute and maintain a register of trailers. These regulations may provide for mandatory or voluntary registration and additional provisions that may be required or relevant to operating the register (under subsection (2)). In particular, regulations may be made in relation to the form and contents of the register, the registration process and the transfer, surrender or destruction of registration documents. Further relevant provisions may also be made. This clause defines a trailer as anything on wheels which is intended or adapted to be pulled by a motor vehicle."

So it seems that a car (already registered as a car of course) won't any longer be able to be towed on UK roads as a trailer because it can't be registered as a "trailer"..........
"

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

RE: All trailers - presumably inc Caravans - will need to be registered, with assoc fees.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

As you might guess this has been discussed on CT, to the tune of four pages of debate.

Overall the document seems to be designed to cover the future for goods haulage trailers once Brexit occurs and there appears to be no reference to caravans, camping trailers etc.

Opinion varies between 'We're all doomed' to 'it won't affect us'. However the Continental trailer registration schemes don't differentiate between caravans and light trailers and their larger commercial brethren, they treat them all the same.

There is irony here, in that 'taking back control' means we have to introduce trailer registration, otherwise our trailers can't traverse Continental roads.

And, of course there are lots of UK caravanners who never take their vans abroad, but if the scheme does happen, they will presumably have to register and pay a fee or annual fees, just like their European wandering brethren. Indeed even though the requirement for an MoT on caravans was narrowly defeated in the EU, fairly recently, such a registration scheme could see the UK Government introducing MoT tests, whilst they continue not to be mandatory in the EU.

Funny old world.

'Well the rain came, I thought you'd leave
'Cos I knew how much you loved the sun.
But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
Through the darkest nights I've ever known'.

Last edited Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 pm | Scroll up

RE: All trailers - presumably inc Caravans - will need to be registered, with assoc fees.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I would have assumed that if it was going to affect caravans, the caravan and motorhome club or the camping and caravan club would have been banging the drum by now, ..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

I link this thread to New Towing Regulations as Tom has been doing some research on the subject.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3