So many blue dots

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Having run an '01 Troll with cold only water and an '05 with hot, we won't have a cold only van again. According to the Eriba Touring price list adding a Truma Therme boiler is something of a bargain, given that it only costs £250, which includes all the relevant pipework, wiring, switch and hot/cold taps, given that the boiler on it's own is around £120 retail, in Eriba terms that's good value. This is especially so when two Eriba dealerships have told me that retro fitting a boiler is about £800, which you can understand, given the work involved in an existing van. Factory fitting must be much easier.

So it surprises me how few Eribas have the boiler fitted. It also surprises me how hard they are to spot in adverts. Firstly you ever know if the advertiser has just overlooked that a boiler is fitted. Sometimes they say There's a boiler fitted, but they never say that a van is 'cold only', so you're left wondering.

It's at that stage that, in frustration, you start enlarging advert pics of kitchens and washrooms, hoping to get just a glimpse of red on a tap. Sadly, almost all have totally blue dots for cold only. But why, given how much an average new Touring costs, why would you not pay a relatively tiny £250 more for hot water at the turn of a tap?

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all

Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am | Scroll up

RE: So many blue dots

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:09 am
by eribaMotters | 5.282 Posts

Totally agree on having hot water. Have factory ordered on vans 2 and 4, and retro fitted myself on van 3. I believe you could only spec it at one time though with larger on-board tank that some did not like. you now have the option of outside fill as well. It is good value, even when allowing for this extra cost of water supply.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 am
by granddadgrape | 1.553 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #1

So it surprises me how few Eribas have the boiler fitted. It also surprises me how hard they are to spot in adverts. Firstly you ever know if the advertiser has just overlooked that a boiler is fitted. Sometimes they say There's a boiler fitted, but they never say that a van is 'cold only', so you're left wondering.

It's at that stage that, in frustration, you start enlarging advert pics of kitchens and washrooms, hoping to get just a glimpse of red on a tap. Sadly, almost all have totally blue dots for cold only. But why, given how much an average new Touring costs, why would you not pay a relatively tiny £250 more for hot water at the turn of a tap?

Can't answer your question Andy but our 2014 Triton came to us secondhand with hot & cold taps fitted. I assumed that all Eribas came like that aithough I must say that when I bought it (private sale) I also assumed it had a boiler and didn't think to ask.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.735 Posts

We've had our cold water only Triton for seven years now and never once have we felt the need for running hot water.

We only stay at sites with full sanitary facilities and use the communal washing up sinks for the social activity of pot washing.

Each to his own.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france, eribanaut, Poptop320, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Agree with Aaron. Also had all sorts of boiler problems on older vans, too much to go wrong and too much added weight for the small benefit of running hot water, not as if we have a shower is it.
I was attracted to the Eriba range by lightweight and simplicity and I'm loving it :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am
by Randa france | 12.848 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
We've had our cold water only Triton for seven years now and never once have we felt the need for running hot water.
We only stay at sites with full sanitary facilities and use the communal washing up sinks for the social activity of pot washing.
Each to his own.

We've even taken it one step backwards from this. We've gone back to our camping days when all water had to be fetched from a nearby tap.

We came to realise that we didn't use that much cold water in the van anyway. Generally a couple of kettles worth a day so we now only carry a plastic gerry can that we leave outside the door. The bathroom sink is now only used as a facility for transporting a few potted plants that we don't entrust to others when we are away and the metal kitchen sink is great as a cool box for carrying glass jars of pickles, jams etc.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

eribanaut, and like this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
Each to his own.

We've even taken it one step backwards from this. We've gone back to our camping days when all water had to be fetched from a nearby tap.

We came to realise that we didn't use that much cold water in the van anyway. Generally a couple of kettles worth a day so we now only carry a plastic gerry can that we leave outside the door. The bathroom sink is now only used as a facility for transporting a few potted plants that we don't entrust to others when we are away and the metal kitchen sink is great as a cool box for carrying glass jars of pickles, jams etc.

Randa

I'm not going to ask what you keep in the bench toilet.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 am

As said, each to their own.

We found the faff of boiling a kettle just to have some warm water to wash your hands just a bit aggravating and being able to choose whether you wander out in the rain to wash up or stay tucked in the Eriba was liberating.

I'm convinced there should be a Eriba Hair Shirt Table, going from 1 for a Puck with cold only and no TV up to 10 for a Troll with washroom, hot water, Sky TV, fixed bed etc.

A Puck gets 1 point.
Familia 2
Triton 3
Troll 4
Add 1 point for washroom
Another for hot water
Another for TV
Another for Fixed Bed
Another for extra mains sockets
Another for onboard tanks

So our '01 Troll was a 6 and our '05 was a 7.

Motter's 430 would be a 9, I think.

Roger would lose pointes due to basin abuse

Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am
by Randa france | 12.848 Posts

Zitat
Quote SDA:- I'm not going to ask what you keep in the bench toilet.

Well, we need to keep the goldfish somewhere and the lid is handy as it stops any spillage between campsites.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:42 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

We have no hot water or heating in our 2014 Triton (just the gas fire) and we are like Roger, we actually took the cold tanks in kitchen and bathroom out to give more storage, and have never used any water in the van at all. We use sanitising hand gel for night time pee pees, fill metal bottles for drinking and brushing teeth and actually use a watering can for kettle and saucepans for anything that gets boiled .... or for filling Boris' bowl!

We had no choice with the new van, the 535 comes with combi boiler as standard. As it's there, we will use it but I doubt to the extent that it will justify the extra on the price.

2014 Triton 420 GT towed with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE with a 2018 Troll 535 on order.

Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:53 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.553 Posts

Quote: Blueyonder wrote in post #10
We have no hot water or heating in our 2014 Triton (just the gas fire) and we are like Roger, we actually took the cold tanks in kitchen and bathroom out to give more storage, and have never used any water in the van at all. We use sanitising hand gel for night time pee pees, fill metal bottles for drinking and brushing teeth and actually use a watering can for kettle and saucepans for anything that gets boiled .... or for filling Boris' bowl!

We had no choice with the new van, the 535 comes with combi boiler as standard. As it's there, we will use it but I doubt to the extent that it will justify the extra on the price.

Did your Triton , like mine, also come with hot & cold taps and a shower?

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:01 pm

That got me thinking.

Based on list prices, how does a 530 plus Therme compare to 535 incl. Combi 4?

530 £18,150 plus Therme mains electric boiler £250 Total £18,400 MIRO 968kg
535 £19,890 with Combi 4 gas only boiler included. MIRO 1020kg

OK, I know you get a bigger 12V only fridge and different furniture, plus 5 extra litres of hot water, but that doesn't seem a lot for an extra £1,590 and 52kg less payload. Though it's good that folk are happy to buy and thereby encourage development and new ideas.

Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:12 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Quote: granddadgrape wrote in post #11
Quote: Blueyonder wrote in post #10

Did your Triton , like mine, also come with hot & cold taps and a shower?

Alan

Yes, we have a shower/tap in the bathroom and I think the taps have capacity for both but hot is blanked off.

2014 Triton 420 GT towed with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE with a 2018 Troll 535 on order.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Well that would save £120 or so in new taps if a boiler was retro fitted.

Down from £800 to nearer £650.

Still a lot of money when it's £250 factory fitted

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
That got me thinking.

Based on list prices, how does a 530 plus Therme compare to 535 incl. Combi 4?

530 £18,150 plus Therme mains electric boiler £250 Total £18,400 MIRO 968kg
535 £19,890 with Combi 4 gas only boiler included. MIRO 1020kg

OK, I know you get a bigger 12V only fridge and different furniture, plus 5 extra litres of hot water, but that doesn't seem a lot for an extra £1,590 and 52kg less payload. Though it's good that folk are happy to buy and thereby encourage development and new ideas.

The 535 layout suits us much better so, for us, it was worth the extra expense, and the heating and hot water will allow us to do more in the UK and northern Europe, instead of always just heading south to find the sun. As with our Triton, we will spend 4/5 months a year in the new van, so I think we will get our moneys worth. If we only took weekends and a 2/3 week main summer holiday in it, we would never in a million years be changing our Triton. It is all down to what each person/family needs and wants from a van, and everyone's needs are different.

Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12497 topics and 105483 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3