Hiya Help and Advice needed from the group

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am
by RevRy (deleted)

Hiya so I have a question daft it may seem but as a virgin caravaner I need a little help and advice.
So our very first night in our eriba puk is booked in May 2 nights near Whitby, however a thought crossed my mind, we have got car insurance where both myself and beloved are insured to drive, caravan insurance, and breakdown cover for car and caravan all check. My question is do we need to check if car insurance covers pulling caravan? Also do we need to check caravan insurance and breakdown also covers the other half towing?

Scroll up

RE: Hiya Help and Advice needed from the group

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

No question is daft. I'm not 100% sure, most breakdown cover is either for the car regardless of who is driving it or personal regardless of what vehicle you are in, which do you have? With the caravan insurance I have never been asked who is towing the van so I don't think it matters. The important thing is to make sure your breakdown will recover your caravan if the car breaks down away from site ie. without the van on the back.
Having said all that it doesn't hurt to check with the companies concerned, I used to work for a large insurance company, if they could wriggle out of a claim they would.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:44 am
by RevRy (deleted)

Hiya Julie thanks for this hugs

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

I think you should contact your Car Insurers. Firstly, your car is modified if it has a tow bar fitted. Just inform them of this and the fact that you are sometimes towing a small caravan. We didn't incur any extra charge.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:35 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.071 Posts

Just had a quote from Sage, they state that a tow bar does not count as a modification and no need to declare it. You have to declare to LV though so best to check. No extra charge with LV at point of sale but may charge for change of policy mid term.

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm
by RevRy (deleted)

Hiya Randa/stendeb
we contacted saga the oldie ins and they said fine no probs no extra charge etc. all sorted now on to what to pack for 2-4 nights and plan a journey eek, blessings Ry

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 pm
by Jez (deleted)

My insurers classed my towbar as a modification and I believe that unless the towbar is standard on a new vehicle most insurers want to know and what purpose you are using it for. This doesn't normally attract an extra payment.

2009 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #5
Just had a quote from Sage, they state that a tow bar does not count as a modification and no need to declare it. You have to declare to LV though so best to check. No extra charge with LV at point of sale but may charge for change of policy mid term.

I am with Caravan Guard and they classed my towbar as a modification. Even then it did not incur extra charges. So it pays to check with whomever you are insured with and not to rely on all insurance companies adhering to the same rules.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Hi RevRy
like many others my insurance Aviva wanted to know that I had a tow bar fitted but that was all.

I hope you really enjoy your first trip. We were really nervous with ours and double checked everything and still did some silly little things which we smile about now.Mike T

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm
by RevRy (deleted)

thxs all

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3