RE: Rough Ride

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

Hi, I have lurked for a long time so this is my first post! We have an eriba triton 420 1999. We currently have a Renault scenic 1.6 petrol 2005, this tows fine on the flat but really struggles on hills, we are thinking of buying a Renault scenic 1.5 dci 110 , would you recommend this model as a replacement for us? Do you think it would perform better than our current car, all help gratefully received

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:09 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The two engines have roughly the same power but the diesel has more grunt (torque).

Both have a towing limit of 1300kg but I'd be careful with Renault (and Citroen and Vauxhall) towing limits.

Sometimes when you add up the car's GVW and Towing Limit the figures are above the car's GTW. In effect it means that if you tow at, or near the towing limit, you can't load the car to its Gross Vehicle Weight and conversely if you load the car to it's GVW you have to reduce the amount you can tow.

We had a guy on CT who ran a Grand Picasso and the van he pulled weighed just on the car's towing limit. When he worked it out, unless he reduced the weight in his van he couldn't legally allow his wife to sit next to him in the car. All he had left was 50kg of load available for inside the car. So before changing take a close look at the statutory weight plate on any potential new car.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

Renault scenic as tow-car 1.5 deck 2015

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:15 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

We currently tow our triton 420 (1999) with Renault scenic 1.6 petrol 2005, this tows really well on the flat but struggles on hills, we are thinking of buying replacement Renault scenic 1.5 dci 2015, Does anyone have experience using this model? I think it makes a difference what registration year as the very latest models seem to have more towing capacity, all help appreciated - Eribee

Scroll up

RE: Renault scenic as tow-car 1.5 deck 2015

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:53 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Try this site for compatibility, its usually pretty good.
https://towcar.info/GB/
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:16 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Hi, I tow a troll with a Scenic 1.6 dci 130bhp engine, I'm aware of the max towing weight and although I've never used a weigt bridge I know we should be careful. The engine is fine though and tows well even in 6th gear. We previously had a Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6dci 110bhp. The 130bhp engine is much stronger though.

C

Troll 542 (with Forever Young history)
Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Eribee wrote in post #3
We currently tow our triton 420 (1999) with Renault scenic 1.6 petrol 2005, this tows really well on the flat but struggles on hills, we are thinking of buying replacement Renault scenic 1.5 dci 2015, Does anyone have experience using this model? I think it makes a difference what registration year as the very latest models seem to have more towing capacity, all help appreciated - Eribee

Hi Eribee I tow my Triton 430 GT with a Renault Megane 1.5 dci and she pulls the Eriba easily. I would go as far as to say that she is the best towcar that I have ever had. I have been out of the towing market for about twenty years as I had Motorhomes but in the past I have towed with a 6 cyl 2.5 Ford Granada. and with a 6 cyl Princess and the Renault leaves them all standing and still returns about 40 miles to the gallon or more whilst towing .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm
by BerylFfrangcon (deleted)

Good evening Eribee
Beryl, my other half has seen your blog. Yes go for it. I am an ex Renault man over 40 years and my present Scenic 106 Dynamique is a superb towing car. Previously we had a Hymer 390 Nova and it pulled it all over France. With the Eriba my fuel consumption on the computer read out is around 43 plus mpg. Do not buy the lower spec cars and if possible a Privilege is the one to get. The grand Scenic is only worth a few hundred more. We are both oldies but do the trip to North Wales from the SW of France in two days and 992 miles
each way without any back pain. Dafydd and Beryl

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

Question for Dafydd and Tomored, Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what year your car is? (This forum is so brilliant),

Last edited Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:49 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Yes Eribee my car is a 2013 Renault Megane 1.5 dci Dynamique Tom Tom Sports Tourer ,and like I said she tows beautifully.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:30 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We have a Triton 430 and a Megane 1.2 and according to the webpage above, it's a perfect match and DH says he doesn't notice the caravan behind.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

It is nice to hear that the Scenic has improved as a car. We bought a new 110bhp 1.9dci back in 2002. It was our first car with air-con and this exploded driving around the Paris ring road with a Pennine Pulman trailer tent on the back when only a few months old. We ended up with a Renault Twingo whilst it was in a French garage for an attempted repair. This did not work and Renault had the car for nearly two months back in the UK to strip the full air-con system out and replace. The following summer with our first eriba we ventured down into Italy, just outside Florence. It was 45c and the air-con could not cope. We headed north to the lakes for a cooler time and enjoyed the rest of our holiday, apart from the illuminated dashboard of warning lights. The car did not like the mountains and the dash lit up like an X-mas tree.
Soon after our return at 18 months old I traded the car in. I have never kept a car for such a short time and vowed not to return to Renault ownership. This was my third, having started car ownership with a 6 and then a 16.
I moved onto a VW Touran. This had less hp, but more weight and torque. I kept this for 10 years and it was an excellent tow-car.

Return from Italy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:45 am
by Poptop320 | 2.605 Posts

Slightly of topic with the Renault scenic, however my previous Dacia Duster had the Renault 1.5 dci 110 block under its bonnet (Dacia is owned by Renault), it pulled my Famila 320 1050kg with ease. It was a superb engine, plenty of torque and very reliable.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

Zitat
Quote EribaMotters:- The following summer with our first eriba we ventured down into Italy, just outside Florence. It was 45c and the air-con could not cope.

Wow, the summer of 2003. It was a scorcher and many people died in Europe because of the heat. We were in Provence and it was almost unbearable.

Talking of Renaults. we had a Renault Scenic RX4 1.9TDi. I loved it but the missus hated it.

SS850292.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:12 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

Thanks to everyone for all the help, the deed has been done and we have traded in for a Scenic 1.6 dci. 130 2015 Other half had the previous one for 12 years and loved it, we had a raclet quick stop trailer tent, and bikes and the petrol scenic didn't feel it at all, I wasn't so keen on driving position but he is tall and I am short! He has a bad back and had previously bought a car he was subsequently unable to drive so scenic again now was his preferred option. Brought the new one back last night, it seems to pack plenty of power, once we have used it to pull the triton I will update this thread with a report.

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

A quick note to say we are just back from a mega hot week in sunny littlehampton, the weather was scorchio!!!!
First time using the Renault scenic 1.6 diesel towing the triton. Absolutely ideal combination, very well matched, couldn't be more pleased with the cars performance

Tomored, and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105515 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7