Thoughts on trackers

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm
by Martyn T (deleted)

Hello Everybody
My debut on the forum though I confess I read masses of posts before we bought our 420 recently. It was extremely helpful.
Its a 2017 model and our hope is to keep it for many years and explore the UK and Europe.
I'm toying with paying a lifetime fee for a tracker.
I know views are mixed and I'm not especially worried about security but it'll be virtually cost neutral given the reduced insurance premiums.
So I was hoping for thoughts on:
1. How attractive are Eribas to thieves? Does the lack of mod cons make them less attractive?
2. Has anyone experience (positive/negative) of trackers? I'm looking at the monitored service.
All contributions appreciated.
Martyn

Last edited Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:20 pm | Scroll up

RE: Thoughts on trackers

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:10 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Thefts of Eribas are rare as they are quite conspicuous by their style and relative rarity. Thieves tend to target the larger white-box caravans which are easier to sell on or used as statics by the traveling community.

I've installed a few monitored trackers for customers who keep their vans away from home on storage sites, but they do impose quite a current drain on the leisure battery, and unless a solar panel is fitted will drain the battery in a couple of weeks.

Obviously not a problem if the van's kept at home with electric hook-up available.

Last edited Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 pm
by Martyn T (deleted)

John - A very helpful response - many thanks.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:12 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

And to the forum Martyn
Tom & Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:35 pm
by Edna III (deleted)

I have a cantrack for mine…..no drain on battery

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:12 am
by swa49 (deleted)

To JohnE's point, Eribas are very rare in the UK. On our recent trip to Norfolk at Easter, we played count the caravans on our 125 mile journey. We lost count of the number of caravans, as there were lots out for their first trip of the year. We didn't see a single Eriba (other than ours). In fact, I have only seen one other Eriba this year, and that was parked in someone's front garden in a North Norfolk village. The owner will probably be reading this post at some point.

Although most sane people wouldn't be interested in something as small as an Eriba, they may know it's [relatively high] value, and that's what worries me a little.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:15 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

In the same vein, because they're rare, they're easier to spot. It would have to be sold abroad which adds to the expense and complications for the theif..... hopefully.....

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:15 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

And generally caravan thieving seems to involve large twin axle jobs, rather than smaller vans. Though there'll always be a thief who isn't logical, or very bright who might chance their arm.

A lot of WWB owners on CT say they wouldn't want a van back after theft and also why they have insurance to cover any potential theft.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 pm
by Martyn T (deleted)

Many thanks for everyone's responses. I think I'm edging to the 'don't bother' end of the scale.
Just returned from our debut run in often torrential rain and I can see why people love them.
Roll on the summer.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm
by Rickys Rav | 73 Posts

That might have been our 540GT - Ringstead near Hunstanton??

Troll 540GT pulled by Ricky's Rav
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

There is a company called Van Bitz (located just outside Taunton, Somerset) who are well known for their Strikeback alarm systems on motorhomes. I spoke to them a couple of years ago about monitored alarm systems on caravans. They indicated they could make a bespoke system with door and tilt alarms and a tracking system providing lat/long information to a mobile phone for around £500 . Now while this is not an insurance recognised system at least you would get immediate notification that the van was being broken into and lat/lon information that could be relayed to the police. My only concern is were would they hide the 'magic box'. In my motorhome they took the dash out and hid it and wailing horns behind it. I'm planning to go and have a few days on their adjacent campsite to discus the above. I'll report back - unless someone does it before me!
Robin

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105673 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2