Fiamma or Omnistore?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am
by johnf (deleted)

Hi All

Though an avid reader this is my first post. I have found the site to be extremely useful for learning how to do simple jobs and modifications - thank you to all contributors.

I have a 2013 Triton 430 and want to add a pull out canopy before the summer. The choice seems to be between Fiamma and Omnistore. I was just wondering if anyone had a preference between the two makes that may help with my purchasing decision. I am thinking of going for a 3.5m canopy unless any Triton owners think there are good reasons to go for the 4m offering. Cost and weight form part of my rationale.

Lastly, can a anyone recommend a fitter in the Sussex area? AL have recommended someone but they are a 2 and half our drive away in Poole.

Thanks in anticipation.

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Fiamma or Omnistore?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

John,
is sounds like you require the wind out cartridge version. You will not be able to fit a 3.5m. It is too long.
We use a 2.8m bag type Fiamma. The straight awning rail run on your van is just under 3m and decreases as you go up the roof.
I assume you are referring to Rose Awnings as the fitter recommended by AL. They are very good. I think you also need to allow two days for fitting as day one is for bonding the mounts onto you roof and letting them set, whilst day two fitting the awning to the mounts.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 pm
by Rickys Rav | 73 Posts

Hi - We had a Fiamma roll out awning on our VW campervan for 5 years until we sold it last year & had niggling small problems with it during this time - it also tended to move about a lot in windy conditions even if supported with guy ropes.
We purchased an Eriba Troll this year with a Thule Omnistore fitted and it seems to be a far better engineered product.
This is only my view however and other folk may have other opinions.

Regards Steve

Troll 540GT pulled by Ricky's Rav
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We have tried both, had two Caravanstores, which have now and Omnistore Cassette on a previous Triton. Both types were good quality makes but the only criticism of the Omnistore was that it obstructed the awning rail so stopping the use of a conventional awning.
The use of a secondary awning rail mounted higher up would solve the problem.
As stated 3.5 or 4.0m is too large for a Troll let alone a Triton.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:17 pm
by johnf (deleted)

Thank you very much for the info Colin Steve and Eribanut. My Triton is in store so I have not had exact measurements to work with. Any other thoughts/recommendations will be appreciated.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

John,
I'm not sure of your camping/caravanning experience, but my advice would be assess how you will camp. Short stays or longer. Will you be away out of the warm summer season How any of you are there. If the answers add up to a wind out being the best option then call Rose Awnings for a price, and try and arrange a few day break in the area. The forum have had a spring meet the last two years at https://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/ and it is very nice.
You may find that you want to take a different direction for the awning. Many members use a sunshade for shorter or very sunny stays, Fiamma Caravanstore or Isabella Shadow, along with an awing for longer stays or when the weather is not as good. The later also allows the option for putting up guests if needed.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 pm
by johnf (deleted)

In terms of experience, I have camped for about 20 years with the family in folding campers. The children are now moved out so it is just myself and my wife. We are hopefully going to be doing ;lots of short trips and touring. There may be the occasional 1-2 weeks on the same site. We see the cassette canopy as quick and easy to use. We have friends with a beautiful (poled" awning that uses the awning rail. However, it seemed to take them about an hour of fairly hard work to put it up. We want to just arrive and be set up, beer/wine in hand, as quickly as possible.

I will continue to ponder over Omnistor and Fiamma - it seems they are both very reputable with people loyal to both. I will get some quotes in and take it from there. It would be good to go to a meet. Our last weekend away drew much interest from standard caravanners and another Eriba owner came straight over to shake hands and say hello.

I tell people that don't get "Eriba" that if it were a motorbike it would be a Harley Davidson! Hope to get away the weekend after next for the first time this year.

Shady Pines likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Fiamma Caravanstore .....brilliant piece of kit. Simple to use. Quick to put out but, more important, even quicker to put away, for example if the wind gets up during the night.
Can also be carried on the other side of the van when touring and using a full awning. Combined with a decent windbreaker gives great shelter and privacy.
Older versions of cassette roll outs such as the Omnistore block the awning channel prohibiting its use for full awning erection. The new version requires permanent fixing to the Eriba roof.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:34 am
by johnf (deleted)

I have had a look at the Fiamma Caravanstore and am quite taken with it. It is about half the price of a cassette (including fitting charge) and about half the weight. My only concern would be that my awning rail is set just above the door and I think that this would be an issue with he bag hanging below it. Perhaps there is a solution to this out there?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:34 pm

With the Fiamma the bag catching on the door is an issue. Some people live with it, some attach some velcro in the bag. On My pre 2010 vans I attached a higher awning rail 100mm above the awning rail gutter. This to me was a perfect solution as the bag did not catch the door top and I could fit my traditional awning without having to remove Fiamma. When away for longer periods I would take the Fiamma out and put it on the other side of the van as a shade for the bikes, clothes driers etc. The attached show this set-up on a previous van where I set the rail at 120mm, a little to high.
Unfortunately this mod is not really feasable with post 2010 vans due to the change in roof profile.

IMG_2058-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)2008-4.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)2008-7-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)eribaMotters_4.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)2008-5.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Quote: johnf wrote in post #9
I have had a look at the Fiamma Caravanstore and am quite taken with it. It is about half the price of a cassette (including fitting charge) and about half the weight. My only concern would be that my awning rail is set just above the door and I think that this would be an issue with he bag hanging below it. Perhaps there is a solution to this out there?

You could fabricate a bracket to hold it up when mounted on door side but still in bag. When it is out we use Velcro inside to keep bag clear of door.
To hold bag above door we use a spoon!
spoon.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:31 pm
by johnf (deleted)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post pictures - very interesting! Adding the extra awning rail would be worth the effort but it seems that would not work on my 2013 Triton. I will go and look at it in storage and p[ost a picture showing location of existing rail.

Eribanut, I love the ingenuity of using a spoon to hold the bag above the door! On what model is the picture withe spoon?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Quote: johnf wrote in post #12
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post pictures - very interesting! Adding the extra awning rail would be worth the effort but it seems that would not work on my 2013 Triton. I will go and look at it in storage and p[ost a picture showing location of existing rail.

Eribanut, I love the ingenuity of using a spoon to hold the bag above the door! On what model is the picture withe spoon?

John

I keep meaning to fashion a bracket but heyho the spoon works and also doubles as a cooking/eating utensil

Ours is a 2007 Troll 540 !

Mike

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 am
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

It would be unfair of me to make a preferential comment as I have no experience of either.
However, sitting under our Isabella Shadow in all weather watching the ceremonial winding in and winding out or having a bag to fiddle with, we're very happy to stick with the Isabella. The only thing we do is to drop the additional centre pole in windy conditions or at night.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 am
by johnf (deleted)

What a day! Eldest son getting married and I am trying to work out how to add a photo to a post! Fortunately, Mrs JohnF is supremely organised. Hopefully picture below shows very small gap between door and awning rail. If a Caravanstore can be made to work with this (I have spoons!) I am very tempted.

IMG_0337.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105516 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1