Campervan differences

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

No separate caravan insurance necessary as it's covered by the mandatory vehicle insurance policy.
No noseweight gauge
No mover gear
No hitchlock
No wheel lock
No need for electric drill and battery
No Aquaroll
No Wastemaster
No steadies
No hitching

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

RE: Campervan differences

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.737 Posts

No transport for visiting the surrounding area without major inconvenience unless you are prepared to tow a car on an A frame thereby negating the advantages inherent in not having to tow a caravan in the first place.

MOT

Road tax

Another car for everyday domestic use (Insurance, tax, MOT)

By the way, we don't carry electric drill and battery, Aquaroll, or Wastemaster (or table top freezer, television or satellite dish for that matter.)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

eribanaut, Eribanut, and shrublands like this post!
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 am

As it will be my daily driver, when Mrs SDA is using the Yeti, there'll actually be one less road vehicle on the drive, no extra road tax and all the other things you mention.

And white van man in his Transit seems to get everywhere, almost, that a car can? Don't forget it's only 5.2m long, just a foot longer than a Mondeo Estate, 8ins longer than a Discovery. The nearly 9ft height is a problem for multi storeys and height barriers but experience says there's always an alternative nearby and I v v rarely use multi storey car parks anyway.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 11:15 am
by gattim (deleted)

I can’t understand your posts any more SDA, you now seem to be extolling the virtues of a campervan having been spending many hours and posts bemoaning not being able to sell your Bailey so you could buy your ‘ideal’ 540. I have recently bought a folding camper but wouldn’t come on here to extol its virtues as this is an Eriba forum, but as I haven’t yet sold my Eriba I feel I can still learn and contribute. Once the Eriba has gone I think it would be wrong to come on here and point out the positive differences between a folding camper and an Eriba as I see them. Brian has pointed out why most people posting here favour their Eriba over a campervan and just posting what you see as the advantages might just antagonise people somewhat.......better to contribute to a campervan forum?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm certainly not trying to antagonise anyone, my original post was just pointing out the differences that I'd 'discovered as I thought about things, they would be similar if I'd been able to find an Eriba Style or Car. As I explained there was a sound reason for changing my focus and quite probably I'd have purchased a 540, if a suitable one had appeared and/or if the family priorities hadn't altered.

I'm still an ex_owner of two 540's with five years experience plus eight years as a moderator on Caravan Talk, so I hope it's considered that I have some valid assistance to provide.

Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 1:01 pm
by gattim (deleted)

I don’t doubt you have sound reasoning to change tack, and offering advice is something this forum is all about. However, starting a thread to outline the key beneficial differences to you of a campervan over an Eriba just seems unnecessary

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:13 pm
by Jez (deleted)

Don't underestimate the faffing about putting everything away, unhooking, making sure all your cupboards are closed properly and I guarantee you'll still have to stop 100 yds down the road because something has gone clattering down behind you. TBH most of my Motorhome friends and us included really didn't want the hassle of moving once set up and resorted to Public transport or bikes, ( no good if you have a Labrador!)
It isn't that easy parking up, the width of a van is the problem, normal parking spots are a squeeze and you are likely to pick up dinks from other vehicle doors over time.
We have just changed from an Autosleeper Warwick Duo (lwb panel van) to a Triton and thus far we are well pleased with our decision, it seems so much easier and less complicated all round. It's each to their own of course and what suits one doesn't suit another.

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi

and like this post!
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 5:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:21 pm

We ran an Innovation1 back in 2006 to 2008, a SEB Transit PVC at a smidge under 16ft long, followed by an Adria Coral Compact of 20ft for two years before we up to Eribas. We went through the things you describe and the fridge door opening as we went round a bend and a large door flapping about under braking. Hopefully it will suit our current needs and we'll see how things go.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm
by Randa france | 12.853 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #1
No separate caravan insurance necessary as it's covered by the mandatory vehicle insurance policy.
No noseweight gauge
No mover gear
No hitchlock
No wheel lock
No need for electric drill and battery
No Aquaroll
No Wastemaster
No steadies
No hitching

NO COMMENT

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm
by Jez (deleted)

Good luck with it, I have to say we loved the Campervan on the continent, they come into their own when you are place hopping and France and Germany are set up for it with Aires and Stellaplaz's.
It's nothing you can't do with an Eriba though, just more dependant on Campsites!

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi

Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 6:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:45 pm
by Randa france | 12.853 Posts

Seriously though. each to their own. After all it is only a campervan and not a chumpervan. But please remember your camping days and respect others:-

Do not grab the best view, blocking it off from others, only to shut the blinds and watch Sat TV all day.
Do not park tight up to tenters and caravanners and block their daylight.
Do not treat campsites as a car parks and disrespect everyone else's space.
Do not slide those bloody doors open and shut 100 times a day and night,
Do not decide to dump your waste in the evening when eveyone else is trying to relax.
Do not shift from emplacement to emplacement in an attempt to get a better sat signal.
Do not think you are OK to reverse without first getting your companion to see that all is clear behind you
Do not arrive at campsites late in the evening and depart before dawn the following day.
Do not park outside campsites for free and use their facilities.
Do not take up four spaces in holiday resort carparks and only pay for one.
Do not park sideways on in the middle of a small layby with a good view.
Do not, when boasting about the size of yours, think that 6 metres is bigger than 20 feet.
Do not carve up the grass when extracating yourself. Others have to camp there afterwards.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Doonhamer, and like this post!
Last edited Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:54 pm

We never take a TV away, there's always much too much to do, dogs to groom, meals to cook, wine to drink, books to read, even wives to talk to.

And ours is only 5.2m long, about 17ft in English money.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 5:57 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Enough already..........................

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
We never take a TV away, there's always much too much to do, dogs to groom, meals to cook, wine to drink, books to read, even wives to talk to.

And ours is only 5.2m long, about 17ft in English money.

Just in case that you ever pinned for that Eriba while your away you could always, " Tug a van " . 79109_1_230c.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

>Do not slide those bloody doors open and shut 100 times a day and night,

We had one of those by us at Marina site in Bath earlier this year. Got very close to instructing them where to stick their door

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12499 topics and 105498 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3