Pre-departure Checklist

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:37 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

When I first started caravanning only three years ago I was constantly forgetting to do things in my haste to pack up and leave a site. You know the sort of thing, forgetting to raise the jockey wheel, leaving the mover wound onto the wheels and not attaching the breakaway cable. I'm sure we've all been guilty of such silly errors.

So, to help prevent me making a total dick of myself (vain hope), I put together an aide-memoire, a copy of which I keep in the Eriba door pocket and refer to every time I'm moving on.

The first item regarding medication might not apply to you and feel free to delete, modify or ignore anything I've included. As I said, it was intended to help me but if it's any use to anyone else on here then here it is with my compliments. Feel free to distribute it to friends as you see fit.

(Checklist updated 10/07/2015)

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Pre departure checklist.docx Pre departure checklist.docx

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 am | Scroll up

RE: Pre-departure Checklist

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am
by Crystal | 244 Posts

Sounds good! We don't do a checklist for that, but I do have one for checking we've got everything stowed away before a trip. This is because some things are left in the van, some indoors, some in the garage. I do it on a spreadsheet and have arranged it so I have different boxed areas for where it should be in the van or else in the car. (Very anorak, but I love visual logic!) After that we just watch each other hitching up when leaving a site and have a look on the pitch to check there is nothing left behind. We don't need the checklist then, if the pitch is empty!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Graculus wrote in post #1

The first item regarding medication might not apply to you and feel free to delete..........

Oh yes it does. Thanks for the list - I'm going to feel a bit like a Jumbo pilot from now on executing flight pre-checks.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Just thought I'd regenerate this list seeing as Mr Calder and Mr Deeps are probably busy planning their forthcoming trips.
As for us, we're getting ready for our last trip of the year but why is it that we find it more difficult thinking of what we should pack when planning a two week trip in the UK than a 12 week trip abroad?
At the moment it is cold and persisting down with rain so our clothes pile has to reflect that as well as the fact that the shorts and tee shirt weather might well return. Therefore we are taking just as many clothes as we would when travelling abroad.
Food wise, when we travel to France, we are assured that there will be a large supermarket within minutes of our camp site wherever we are, whereas in some of the "out of the way" places in Britain there won't be a supermarket within 20 miles (we can't afford local food shop prices ),
We would love to go on more "outings" in the UK with our Eriba but this packing business is SO stressful.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Fully agree Roger, where are you aiming for?

Did I tell you I forgot some of the bedding last trip?

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 am
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

[quote="hampshireman"|p11654]Fully agree Roger, where are you aiming for? /quote]
Up to Welsh Wales for a week (Machynlleth), Then across to Oswestry.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:50 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
[quote="hampshireman"|p11654]Fully agree Roger, where are you aiming for? /quote]
(Machynlleth), Then across to Oswestry.
Randa

Shorts for me til November! + an extra sock! For warmth! Bring it on you know you want to

That area is lovely as I'm sure you know we hav'nt done Welsh wales for a very long time but I do remember staying in a static not far from an RSPB site, it has stunning scenery and views. Now where's my passport

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish

Last edited Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 am
by ellen (deleted)

We may see you on your travels (Hope so). It's Anglesey September 5th then Llanwrst the week after. God knows how we will get on as it's our first 2 weeker and just the amount of stuff for the dogs beggars belief. Clothes wise for us, I think i will just use the launderette after the first week, we don't have 2 weeks worth of. Clothes I'm sure Ellen

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:39 am
by SeptimusFry (deleted)

Just got back from a 3-week tour from Brittany to the Med, via Golf de Morbihan !! I printed the checklist before we went and was glad to have it.
But one or two items threw me.

Heater and Fridge Fans turned off ??
Flue extension removed and stowed??
Stabilizer adjusted and locked??

Can someone explain.

I am preparing a posting to describe the nightmare I have had with French bureaucracy !!

All posts by me are benign and never require angry replies.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:07 am
by Agger (deleted)

[quote="SeptimusFry"|p11712

Can someone explain.

I am preparing a posting to describe the nightmare I have had with French bureaucracy !![/quote]

The heater (Truma) can run off of 12v.
The fridge fans are additional fans Brian and others have retro fitted for hot countries.
The Flue e tension is about a foot long and is supposed to take gas exaust fumes away from your pop top.
The stabiliser adjustment is sometimes a wheel on the side to adjust the tension of the friction pads.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 am
by SeptimusFry (deleted)

Thanks, that makes it clearer.

I have found a short tube in a cupboard, does one go up a stepladder to the caravan roof and introduce it up there ?

All posts by me are benign and never require angry replies.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:35 am
by Agger (deleted)

If you have a step ladder with you while your away if not let the other half do it, they usually tell you how to anyway

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

Quote: A guest wrote in post #9
Just got back from a 3-week tour from Brittany to the Med, via Golf de Morbihan !! I printed the checklist before we went and was glad to have it.

Can someone explain.
As Agger said (thanks Graham), the gas/electric heat circulation fan runs from the 12V supply and as it has no warning light to show that it is running and is near silent in operation, it is easily left running. People have completely flattened their batteries by leaving the fan switched on while the van is parked.

The fridge fans are a pair of thermostatically controlled 12V computer fans that I installed to improve fridge efficiency in hot weather (see article in the 'How to..." section). They are switched so as to be off, on permanently or on but thermostatically activated.

I have driven off (once) with the stabiliser adjuster clicking on the ratchet but without the locking lever pressed fully down. It's just to remind me to make sure that I've set it properly as the handling was noticeably different without it.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: SeptimusFry wrote in post #9

Can someone explain.

See image below............. the top 2 inches unscrews and screws onto the extension then the extension screws back on.
There is some debate as to whether this is to take the fumes away or it stops the pilot flame blowing out.
Either way it seems to be required for best use of the gas heater.

It is not advisable to travel with the extension fitted as the wind resistance may break it. hence it being on the checklist.
P1300686.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

As you say reaching it can be a problem but should be reachable standing on something like the door step (if you don't have the fixed one)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Pepé Le Pew and Magpie like this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:23 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We use the Après departure check list, much more interesting, about an hour after setting off you turn to the Mem Sahib and say, did you pack so and so, or did we bring, always raises a jolly smile

Randa france, Julie Grafo and highmiler like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4