RE: Hello everyone - we have some way to go yet! (long post)

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed. As a firm 540er, having owned two, I'd say that if you're intent on trying to live full time in a space that's 15ft 3ins by 6ft 6ins then permanently filling up 6ft 6ins of the length with a fixed bed is going to be claustrophobic after a while. A 530 fixed bed will reduce that permanent bed space by nearly 2ft, leaving you with 11ft that isn't bed, where the 542 will leave just 9ft. The 530 has a more sociable and spacious front dinette which would surely suit better. Having said that, if you're happy in single beds and the ability to occasionally make a double but need a good length bed, then a 540 is ideal. If you're happy with the space in the front of a 530, and want flexibility then forget the fixed bed and get one with a rear lounge, You can leave it made up if you want but if the need arises you have two seating areas.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all

Last edited Sat May 12, 2018 10:59 am | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm
by PaulM (deleted)

Thanks for the replys and advice everyone - for now we are still firmly in the fixed bed territory, but I can fully appreciate the lower flexibility in the design. Talking about flexibility ( or well somewhat related) I am a 20 stone - 6ft tall guy. So have to consider the strength of the bed. in some of the earlier models of the twin dinettes i saw some kind of metal pole configuration and they were bent from the previous owner. I think id snap them! the 542 seems to have some kind of fixed metal structure under the bed?.

I am on a diet though so hopefully i can lose a few stone before buying anything. #

We will defiantly spend a couple of hours in each before laying down any money.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon May 14, 2018 9:18 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'm 17 stone and 6ft 2ins and the washroom is not exactly commodious for a chap my size. You'll find it that bit worse.

The single beds will be fine with that sort of weight but you'd need to check out the varying support mechanisms Hymer have used over the years to turn them into doubles. For instance the 540 with central cabinet, freestanding table and pull-out bed width extensions with fold-up legs should support the sort of weight you're talking about, whereas the pole system bed on a standard 540 might not.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3