Tow Bars

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 4:54 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

We had to get a replacement car earlier this year - our previous Saab Sportwagon was written off after it suffered a bash in the side (seems that insurance companies will write off a car for fairly minor damage these days).

I'd nailed a Witter Quantum detachable to the Saab and, as hooks go, it worked a treat - it didn't fall off the car, and the caravan never fell off it.

Anyway, we've now got a VW Tiguan, and I see there's a choice of Witter, Bosal or Westfalia (ignoring the cheaper base-metal offerings from the likes of Towsure) for VAG motors.

Electrics are vehicle-specific and include fridge & charging functions for all three.

Assuming the towbars are similar in form, fit and function, should I just go ahead based on price, or are there other factors I need to consider?

Scroll up

RE: Tow Bars

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:05 pm
by jobberwock (deleted)

Hi,

I Don't know about the the tow bar but I know for the tow ball for use with the alko hitch on the Eriba it is recommended that you use the alko high reach tow ball......if that helps..

Cheers Ian

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:17 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Westfalia is the one that VW use. I recently had one fitted to my Passat (not by VW as their prices are eye watering!) and found that the tool area in the boot, where the jack and stuff is stored, has a molded space that fits the detachable swan neck of this particular tow bar, which keeps it all nice and tidy. I have been happy with it, seems to be good quality and nothing has fallen off anything so far....so that's all as it should be!

Ralph

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:28 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I’ve had a couple of Westphalia’s with no failias (so far🤞).
I like the key hole cover which keeps crud out of the lock.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.286 Posts

We had a fixed swan neck Westfalia on our VW Touran and found it fine. On our Yeti we have a detachable swan neck Westfalia and I prefer this, just because as it is detachable it has stayed fairly new looking after 4yrs because I can obviously remove it [easily] when not needed.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:42 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.737 Posts

Westfalia detachable for me too with dedicated electrics. No problems once they had correctly reprogrammed the computer to tell it that the car was a convertible and not an estate.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

That reminded me that we had a Westphalia detachable on our VW T5 campervan and VW could never persuade the electrics to disable the reversing sensors when the caravan was attached.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 7:27 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.070 Posts

Mine is a Westfalia re branded as a Nissan which my insurance company liked. Its detachable but I leave it on to protect my rear end . I don't have an extended ball either

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 28, 2018 9:33 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

Mine is a Tow Trust detachable swan neck with dedicated wiring. It feels a quality bit of kit, and I've had no problems so far.

http://www.tow-trust.co.uk/towbars

Ron & Angela

Triton 420 GT 2005, Pedro, with a Mercedes 220 estate
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:31 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Thank you for all your comments and valued advice which is much appreciated.

Have decided to go for the fixed Westfalia Swan Neck (the previous Witter detachable was seldom detached anyway).

Just need to get a caravan now as we sold our Feeling 425 18 months ago - something we've regretted ever since. We had considered a 530, but the decision has now been made, and we're on the hunt for another Feeling.

They're quite rare in the UK so we'll have to buy from mainland Europe and convert it to UK spec, as I did with the last one.

Anyone know a good caravan engineer?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.737 Posts

I'm sorely tempted but as I've no doubt I shall need your services again one day, I shall bite my tongue.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 53 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105504 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2