Kampa air awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 am
by Mrs Hilary Wragg (deleted)

So sorry to bring this up again but I camp on my own and I am still struggling with threading my Kampa air awning singlehanded. The problem is that I can start threading but as soon as I start pushing it along the channel it comes out at the threading in end. After much to ing and fro ing I get most of it threaded except for the last 30 cms which takes huge effort to thread due to the bulky air strut. I’ve tried the awning buddy but still have the same problem with it coming out of the channel as I pull from the other end. Help!!!

Scroll up

RE: Kampa air awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 am
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

Hilary,
I found it difficult to feed the Kampa awning in single handed on my Triton. Even if you take the front panel out to reduce the weight it is still a heavy job as the awning obviously has the extra weight of the air tube system.
The awning buddy was I believe designed for "normal" vans and I'm not sure if it would be of any use on an Eriba.
As regards awning cord coming out of the channel, what age and model is your Eriba. The problem you have is normally found in post 2010 Tritons and Trolls.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 30, 2018 5:28 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.605 Posts

Quote: Mrs Hilary Wragg wrote in post #1
So sorry to bring this up again but I camp on my own and I am still struggling with threading my Kampa air awning singlehanded. The problem is that I can start threading but as soon as I start pushing it along the channel it comes out at the threading in end. After much to ing and fro ing I get most of it threaded except for the last 30 cms which takes huge effort to thread due to the bulky air strut. I’ve tried the awning buddy but still have the same problem with it coming out of the channel as I pull from the other end. Help!!!

Try rubbing a bit of furniture polish in the grove, the silicon will help it to slide a bit easier.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:09 pm
by Eric (deleted)

Awning buddy would help, you can feed in and pull the other end from the same position, same action as two people but need only one.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

Sorry Eric (John), but I cannot see how the awning buddy will help. This awning in particular is the devils own to feed into the track, particularly on post 2010 vans. It is not a nice single sheet fabric but bulky and heavy due to the air-beams. You cannot lay the awning out as shown in the youtube demo and you definetly need one to feed and one to pull.
I'm speaking from bitter experience as I collected one of the first of these awnings in Feb 2017 for my new Triton. The awning has been back to Kampa for modification (did not work) and it is being returned this summer for a ful refund.
If you own a pre 2010 van and have two people available to put it up then it is excellent. If not then you need to look elsewhere.
To give you an indication of how difficult it is consider the following. We recently left home at 9pm on Saturday night, drove 680 miles down into France arriving at 1.30 Sunday afternoon. Exhausted we erected our 5.5 x 3.0m 38kg Fortex frame awning, pegging out perfectly without arguement or problems in just over 30 minutes. This was the first time we have put the awning up and no slower than The Kampa.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 pm
by Michael (deleted)

Air pro 365 have had two of them and both failed as a result of perforations of the plastic connecting air tube to regulator valve Agree that it is heavy and difficult to erect single handed. It actually does not fit Eriba troll that well either. I would not recommend the significant expenditure on this product..I will not even comment on fitting the rain strip which by my reconning only three Eriba folk have done this successfully.Look forward to hearing more positive experiences. Mike.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:28 pm
by nod (deleted)

This is the second season of using the Kampair 365 on my 2012 530. The clips (Isabella spares bought from ebay or Amazon) shown in the picture can be used to prevent it pulling out of the rail and the other picture shows that it fits well providing it is on a reasonably level pitch. You will struggle to get it to fit on a slope in any direction apart from front to back when the ground at the front is lower than the back of the van.
TIPS When levelling make sure the jockey wheel hasn't raised one end before you wind the legs down. The more the van is raised from the ground, the more difficult it will be to fit the awning properly. Clean the rail with silicone spray before pulling the awning through.Make sure the van door is shut. Use a small portable step to stand on when feeding it through the rail, the higher up you are the lighter the awning will appear. Fit the clips shown in the picture in the final stages of pulling it through sliding it into final position then tightening the wing nuts. These prevent the weight pulling it out. Mark the position of the RH clip once you have erected it and know that the door clears the RH air pole when open. This will make it so much easier every subsequent time you put it up.
Is it possible to put on your own? Yes with practice however it takes just a couple of minutes with 2 people but a lot, lot longer on your own.
I sold my Walker awning which was a quality piece of equipment but it simply took far too long to erect and with two bags wasbulky to transport. In the end I only used it when staying for a week or more. The Kampa goes up in 30 minutes and is always used apart from overnight stops.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_20180625_093239910.jpg 
 IMG_20180625_093251589_HDR.jpg 
 IMG_20180625_164910788_HDR.jpg 

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:31 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 56 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105515 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2