Channel Crossings - advice needed

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:30 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Although we have toured in France on many occasions with VW camper, tent or caravan, we have always until now used Eurotunnel paying with Tesco vouchers supplemented with a bit of cash where necessary for our Eriba crossings.

As the vouchers are now a joke and no longer mount up as they used to, I would need to add a substantial amount of cash to them to pay for a crossing. I thought I'd look into alternative and more convenient methods of crossing. The problem is, I'm now very confused and would welcome members' advice based on their own experience of using ferries.

We live on the South Coast between Poole and Portsmouth so either of those ports would be preferred and we want to go out on 03 September and return on 01 October.

I've just been checking prices and have been quoted £356 on Eurotunnel; £188 DFDS Dover-Calais and £274 Poole-Cherbourg (through C&MC). The Brittany Ferries site would not allow me to enter an October return date with a September outward crossing for Portsmouth-Cherbourg for some reason.

Do these prices seem reasonable or can anyone suggest cheaper alternatives?

What do you do?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Channel Crossings - advice needed

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The prices you have look typical. I don't think you will get much cheaper no matter how hard you search.,
Like you we have also favoured Eurotunnel via Tesco, but have also been short of vouchers last couple of years. Or ferry crossings has alternated between P&O and DFDS with whom you can know also use Tesco vouchers.This year at our time of booking we got June/July Eurotunnel for £305 when Ferry was £240? with the C&MC, so looks like Ferry has dropped and Tunnel gone up as the year has gone on.
I bit the bullet and paid for tunnel as we have moved "up north" from Essex and know face a far longer journey so for the time saved on a 700 mile trip it is worth it to us.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:00 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

we paid £500 for return Caen -Portsmouth in April with a cabin, the cabin prices have gone up this last year from Caen, it does though make an easy journey getting some sleep, albeit 5 hours. For us it is also the difference between 5 hours journey to Caen and 8 hours to Calais.

Just got a quote start of September to 25th Sept return only £581 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a cabin

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:58 pm
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

I cannot quote you with any accuracy as it's been a few years since we last had a quote both ways but can vouch for the Portsmouth /St Malo evening outward crossing (8pm Portsmouth arriving 8am St Malo with a day crossing return arriving Portsmouth about 7pm. A very stress free crossing.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:10 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Brittany ferries are wickedly expensive because they have no competition. It really depends where you want to go in France. Calais is a long way from here.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 am
by Bryn | 994 Posts

Calais is along way from anywhere

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:28 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

You might look at Newhaven Dieppe where those of a certain age group are entitled to a 25% discount. Though not wishing to make an assumption about your age group!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:01 am
by Bryn | 994 Posts

I resemble that remark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53 am
by AndyEarle (deleted)

If you are making several crossings a year Brittany Ferries have a Travel Club, giving a good discount, but you have to calculate the savings against the cost of joining, you also get a breakfast allowance on overnight Ferries and discount on food, another advantage is friends and family can also get a discount on.

It's worth considering but do your sums.

660 GT Pontus Eggbert on the tail of Mercedes C class Estate...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

you also get a discount if your friend is a member, you can use their number ( legally honest )

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:40 pm
by Clueless (deleted)

The Cherbourg fast ferry stops sailing during the winter so that's probably why you couldn't book a return trip. We are members of the Brittany Ferries club and find we save the membership with just one crossing a year, on just a car as we refuse to subject our Aimee (Pan Familia) to the roads in the UK. For us it is the best option as although we live close to ferry ports on the French side, we have to travel to Scotland...even a short night's sleep in a cabin makes a huge difference.We recently costed all the alternatives, including cheap flights and car hire, and there was only 30€ between all the routes when fuel/tolls etc etc were considered, so we stuck with BF. As Bryn pointed out family and friends can use your card to get a 10% discount all they need is your card number and name to add to the booking. The card holder also gets £10 for each booking made this way, to be spent on crossings the next year. If anyone wants our card number feel free to ask as I'm not sure it's ok to post details on here?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:34 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

You are obviously ok about travelling up to Kent , The Dover Calais or Dunkerque crossings by DFDS are always cheaper than other crossings, and they are very frequent.Calais or Dunkerque depends on your general destination, you can make big inroads via Belgium down towards Luxembourg with out peage, if you are heading to SE France.Why pay for a cabin when you can pull up with the truckers and have a sleep for a few hours,in the 'van. We cross very early and do this when we get to France. Dover Calais is my recommendation, purely on price. I use the tunnel often for trips to Belgium and France on business but thats car only and only overnight stays.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3