Troll 540 and 550???

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:48 am
by Wildy (deleted)

Hi
Troll 540 and Troll 550 advantages and disadvantages please??
Thanks in advance

Scroll up

RE: Troll 540 and 550???

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:08 am
by gattim (deleted)

You can easily find their differences and similarities via t’internet. There are also many ‘550’ variations in older models. What might be seen as an advantage to one person (fixed bed, 4 berths for example) might be seen as a disadvantage to others who want a dinette and three berths.
It probably will serve you well to consider what YOU think might be the pros and cons of the models for your requirements and then see if that’s what others think?

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:11 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Hi apart from personal preferences over fixed bed or not personally I like the rear dinette options on the 2018 540 or 550 especially with the extra window on left-hand side

On the rear dinette the 540 obviously scores in length at the cost of room elsewhere and some have noted it's a bit more fiddly to make up in to a double

What I prefer on the 550 rear dinette is the kitchen has an adjacent lower area great for placing things nearby mobile, tea, wine etc although I have seen in some 540 a small central cupboard but not sure if this interferes with the table flexibility or if you then have to opt for the free standing large/heavy table

As noted above the 550 has extra work area and storage below to the right in the kitchen and the fold up kitchen extension would obstruct the door more and you have lost the small pocket recess on entry

The bathrooms seem similar size wise and other than one is further forward on the 540 and is coupled next to the wardrobe giving a longer expanse or volume taken up on one side opposed to the separate units on the 550. You may think having both wardrobe and bathroom closer to the axel is preferable but maybe the forward wardrobe on the 550 may help with nose weight.

Some may consider the forward wardrobe obstructs the front windows more oppose to have the bigger mass in the center on the 540 which obstructs the view more front to back from the inside However the 550 has an additional window in the front dinette

I prefer the front dinette in the 550 as it is simply more open has an option to make it larger bed, the extra window and gives two open areas front and rear, the front wardrobe on the 550 also keeps the heater well away from bed linen for those that find this a problem and there is an additional storage to the left via a sliding door that store bottles amongst other items. As both seats have easy access there is no argument on who gets the corner like on the 540

The 540 front dinette is more snug, there is an option for a 3rd hanging bunkbed and the windowsill is utilised more when sitting in this arrangement

Externally I think the 550 with the 2 extra windows on the left side ( 1 forward and optional rear) looks very nice and fitting the Omnistore is easier on the 540 but not impossible on the 550 just a bit smaller and interferes with full opening door when an annex option is taken, I also do not know why the wheel spats seem reversed on the 550

If your exceptionally tall or have regular 6 at the table then the 540 is a more obvious choice the 550 is simpler to leave one bed made up as the front dinette is more open and spacious with a larger view with door open

Last edited Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

The extra work surface adjacent to the kitchen is really useful. Tv etc. The cupboard under is perfect for storing food as it has shelves fitted.
There is also an extra useful work surface next to the wardrobe which we use for kettle / coffee maker keeping them away from the living area.
The position of the front dinette is really good as it allows easy access for both sides and can seat 4.
We have a 550 Double dinette.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:53 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

This is the only picture I could find of the 550 little extra shelf next to the wardrobe and the cupboard below

Where are the batteries in the 550 ?|addpics|lgg-1-118a.jpg-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

Last edited Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:26 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

From pics of fixed bed 550's I've seen the battery and associated transformer/charger/EHU socket etc is under the bed, on the nearside. Presumably that means the wardrobe is sans electrical gubbins and the battery etc is in the same place on a non-fixed bed.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

The battery in ours is under the right hand rear bench. The Schaudt consumer unit and fuse box is in the wardrobe at the front.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:30 pm

That surprises me as they always seem to fit the gubbins by the EHU socket. If it's all in the wardrobe it's on the opposite side of the van.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:21 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #8
That surprises me as they always seem to fit the gubbins by the EHU socket. If it's all in the wardrobe it's on the opposite side of the van.

Yes that's correct. The EHU is on the opposite side to the consumer unit which is the opposite end to the battery.
20140620_151217.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:18 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

So the batteries are at the rear under the bed righthand side, the consumer unit is in the front wardrobe righthand side, the EHU is on the left side and the 30l onboard water tank under the front dinette nearest the bathroom, the 15l water heater is in the front most dinette base left-hand side

That does not leave many completely free areas. So where would the awning socket go front or rear righthand side ?

Last edited Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Always seems best to have the awning mains socket just inside the offside exterior locker door. That way there's no need for cutting a hole in the van. You can run the cable to it from the nearest power source.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

and chezmart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

There is only one battery and this does not take a huge amount of space up. The EHU socket takes virtually no space, and we do not have the 30L on board tank as we prefer the external supply and the water heater takes about 1/3rd of one of the under seat storage at the front. It wouldn't matter which layout your after the equipment is the same.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 pm

And the washroom is the same dimensions on all models, but may be realigned on some.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:54 pm
by Wildy (deleted)

Thanks all. I'm 6ft 2 so would I fit sleeping width ways in the 550??

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 pm
by gattim (deleted)
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105507 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2