Troll 530 bendy bed bars

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Hi,

We aren't particularly big or heavy, but sadly one of the bars under the 530 rear dinette bed started to bend last weekend (second trip in a 2018 530). I'm not especially upset as I've always expected an ongoing tinkering and tweaks to owning an Eriba but felt I needed to address it for fear of ending up in a pile in the middle of the night.
I've read of bending bars and thought it was a problem of old that had been solved by Hymer, but sadly not. AL offered to straighten it or send a new one if that didn't work, but I felt that doesn't really solve the issue and didn't fancy the eriba being taken out of commission just for a bar.

A bit of a trawl around ebay and I've bought a couple of bars for not many £s as replacement. They are a bit shorter but still fit with overlap. I've picked up replacement aluminium bars, but much thicker. And, as an alternative, polished steel bars, but thinner as they are stronger. Both are a bit heavier, but nothing to worry about.

Both feel pretty sturdy and an improvement. Time will tell but fingers crossed.

Original on the left (you can see the bend), replacements on the right.
530bars.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

~ N

~ 530 and proud

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:24 pm | Scroll up

RE: Troll 530 bendy bed bars

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 pm
by CraggyIslander (deleted)

We had exactly the same issue in our 2016 530. So have several others on the forum. The solution is to replace them with Stainless steel bars. Say to
Buy on EBay and cut to length. Hymer refused to accept that it’s a design fault so we did it ourselves.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:21 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Our eBay steel bar replacements are holding up. No bends.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:03 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

No bendy bars for us. 2006 Troll has slatted beds. Why Hymer went back to the bar design beats me...………...hello perhaps cost?

[quote="Nthurrzzz"|p63444]Our eBay steel bar replacements are holding up. No bends.]

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

The trolls with the long seats where you can sleep as 2 singles or pull out to a double still use slats. The 530 that you make up to sleep across have the bars.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

We requested that our new Troll 535 came with reinforced bars, which it did. However, as they have left a dirty grey mark on the underside of the seat cushions, I wish I'd bought Magpie's stainless steel ones that she no longer needs 😕

2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE pulling a silver 2018 Troll 535 GT
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:00 pm
by 2eZero | 16 Posts

A friend helped me with mine, and we ordered in some mild steel bars that were 25mm O/D (1 inch) that were about 106cm long. It should fit OK. We've also re straightened out the poles with a pipe straightener tool (12 ton rated) and they're Ok for being the originals, but I think the steel ones will be stronger.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105509 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2