pop top scissor mechanism mounting bolts

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

On my 2002 Troll, I notice that the 4 bolt heads on the top of the pop top that the catches are held by are starting to show signs of rusting. Clearly this has been an ongoing problem as there are also signs of them having been painted before. I will clean them and repaint now but am wondering about replacing them with Stainless steel. Has anyone done this, perhaps? My main question is does anyone know the bolt size used? I'm a little cautious to do it as I don't want to disturb something that could allow water ingress...

Any advice gratefully recieved..

Edit: I've changed the title to more accurately reflect what I was actually changing

Last edited Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:57 pm | Scroll up

RE: pop top catch bolts

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Aren’t the bolts you see on the roof the ones that attach the scissor mechanism?

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I replaced those on my last van. I used M6 mushroom/raised head coach bolts (square in section below the head). They sit on a nylon washer that I managed to clean the rust stains off. Only replace one of each end pair at a time to ensure the mechanism does not move out of location.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Yes Tony, of course you are correct. Silly me.. And Colin, thanks, just what I needed to know. Very helpful..

Thanks both...

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105770 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1