Hyundai I 40 help towing

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:36 pm
by Annliz (deleted)

Hi
I have Hyundai i40 blue diesel car on my first towing couldn’t get any power going up a hill nearly burnt clutch out ?? Any advice

Scroll up

RE: Hyundai I 40 help towing

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Talk to a Hyundai dealer.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Quick google shows 1500 - 1800 towing capacity for an i40. How much stuff have got on board? Stuff often weighs more than you think. Do you have a public weighbridge nearby? If so, put it on fully laden to see what it weighs versus what you think it does. Also, weight distribution can be an issue, check your nose weight. Does your car struggle on hills normally? Is the clutch worn? What gear were you in? We have been over all the high passes in the Alps with an Eriba and you sure know it’s there but if it’s within the towing capacity, is not overloaded, you distribute weight correctly and you use appropriate gear then you should be okay.

ETA....... and, what Andy says, talk to your dealer

2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE pulling a silver 2018 Troll 535 GT

Last edited Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm
by Ccouple (deleted)

Well.. Without more information, id say, forget the speed limit. Just tow on whatever gear ( speed) its happy, and let others honk their horns if they wish. I remember as a child, when cars ( European/ japanese) had power nowadays 1.0 liter turboes have, we were climbing on 2nd gear steep hills, and it was norm.

Well, if everything goes as planned, im going to tow next summer with +550nm, just to be on the safe side.. ;)

Last edited Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Quote: Annliz wrote in post #1
Hi
I have Hyundai i40 blue diesel car on my first towing couldn’t get any power going up a hill nearly burnt clutch out ?? Any advice

What are you towing Ann? Try this website and match your car and van to see results. https://towcar.info/GB/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:33 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:53 am

The max. that any Eriba Touring should weigh is 1400kg and most should have a weight imit much lower than that. If your car has a 1500kg towing limit (or more) it should handle even 1400kg with ease.

So, providing you haven't overloaded the van (which is illegal), such an issue must be a problem with the car being down on power, or binding brakes. Failing that it might be binding brakes on the van, or a motor mover left slightly engaged. However binding brakes or wheel bearings on either vehicle would generate heat and a distinctive smell and a mover is usually full on, when the van won't move, or full off, rarely do they stick partially engaged.

As the OP hasn't mentioned any associated heat issues, it sounds like the car is down on power, which needs garage attention. As Hyundais have a 7 year warranty and i40s are mostly under that age then it makes sense to seek a dealer's help.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:56 am

Binding Eriba brakes was in my mind too? A close friend of mine was unhappy with the quality of the tow of his Citroen and Puck L that he bought from AL. However there was none of the tell tale smells coming from the brakes.

The following year he had a mobile service engineer to look at them and the verdict was that they were adjusted up far too much. A beautiful tow ever since.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:57 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Annliz wrote in post #1
Hi
Can you help those trying to help you by giving us more information?

How old is the car? How much stuff was in it? Which Eriba model were you towing, and under what circumstances did it happen? How steep was the hill? Was it an uphill standing start? Do you know for certain - as others have alluded to - that the van wasn't over or incorrectly loaded? Are you happy that both the car and the van are in good mechanical condition?

It's almost impossible not to have to guess as to the cause without knowing a lot more.

As it stands, it's not dissimilar to one of those Edward de Bono lateral thinking puzzles; you know, where someone describes a scenario in as few words as possible and everybody else has to work out what happened.

There's a man lying dead in the middle of a large, undisturbed field of wheat. Beside him is an unopened package...

That kind of thing.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 am
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

I posted some time ago regarding my previous 2006 Familia 310GT. It had recently had a chassis service which had highlighted a worn bearing on the door side, which I had replaced.
On my 650 mile tow from Essex to the Dordogne the car did not pull well and my mpg was high 20's, instead of mid to high 30's for similar high speed fully laden tows.
When we left the site a couple of weeks later the noise from that wheel was unbelievable. Red Pennant got somebody out, no mean thing on a Sunady in the middle of nowhere. Upon inspection the pads had been binding on the drum and the bearing had travelled out of place slighlty. The mechanic cleaned everything up and "persuaded" the bearing back into place.We continued on our journey and owned the van for another summer and 2,000 miles? of towing without problem.
I took the van back to the very apologetic service engineer and he could not find any fault. We do not know if the bearing was incorrectly seated and caused the brake issue or if the reverse was the case.

I do recall others having a similar experience.

Colin

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #8
There's a man lying dead in the middle of a large, undisturbed field of wheat. Beside him is an unopened package....

Aha! I know that one. The package was weetabix but he didn't have the strength to open it for he hadn't had his three weetabix

Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #10
Aha! I know that one. The package was weetabix but he didn't have the strength to open it for he hadn't had his three weetabix
Drat.

You're cleverer than you look...

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:59 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Or maybe not!
Confusing Weetabix with Shredded Wheat possibly?

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #12
Or maybe not!
Confusing Weetabix with Shredded Wheat possibly?
It's a parachute.

The package is a parachute.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Definitely Nabisco Shredded Wheat or now (like almost everything, owned by Nestles). If it was a parachute it would've burst open on landing.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 pm
by Annliz (deleted)

Thank you !

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4