Crit Air

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm
by NZViking99 (deleted)

Just received mine - took about 18 days from the very simple and easy application and payment online to receiving it in the post. Now to place it the correct position on the windscreen (the instructions say bottom right hand corner.

A word of warning, do not go via this rip off site : www.crit-air.fr - they charge 30 euros, and I suspect there are others doing the same.

Go via the French government site www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ and they will charge only postage, about 4 euros.

I don't know if it will be needed where we are going in September, but given the French propensity for changing things with little or no warning, I figure it's worth the low cost to be prepared.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Crit Air

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Where are you going to ?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 am
by jobberwock (deleted)

If your car has an MOT coming up you need to be aware that you are no longer allowed to have stickers on the windscreen
and so would need to remove it before the MOT inspection.

Cheers Ian

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:40 am
by Bryn | 990 Posts

good luck with removing it then!!!!!! I realised that if I stuck mine in the bottom right corner and then had the insurance and CT stickers above the right hand side would be obscured, I then thought that if a 4x4 had it in the bottom right corner it would be level with the top right corner on my car so that is where I tuck it and it went through the ct (mot in France) no problem, they assume I think that everyone drives a LH car whereas mine is RH drive but French registered

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:08 pm
by NZViking99 (deleted)

We are off to the Correze, about 30 mins SE of Limoges, sadly not in the Troll this time.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 pm
by Bryn | 990 Posts

you wont need them there then, we are 1hr from Limoges in the Charente and they are not required around here

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:31 pm
by NZViking99 (deleted)

I have just taken a look at the government pages that deal with 'View to the Front and Windscreen Obscuration' (See : https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...ear-windscreens)

The following is a an edited version of the appropriate paras :

In practice, the annual test will check that items placed in or stuck to the windscreen or surface damage, cracks or discolouration in the windscreen do not seriously obscure the vision of the driver.
In order to better define what may be permissible the windscreen is divided into Zones:
Zone A is a vertical area 290mm wide, centred on the steering wheel and contained within the swept area of the windscreen.
Windscreen stickers, or other obstructions, shall not encroach more than 10mm.
Zone B is the remainder of the swept area of the windscreen.
Windscreen stickers, or other obstructions, shall not encroach more than 40mm.

It would appear from this document that there is no absolute prohibition on stickers on the windscreen for MoT's, they do not mean an automatic MOT failure.

Last edited Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 pm
by NZViking99 (deleted)

Hi Bryn ....

Yes, I knew we didn't need it, but seemed sensible just in case we decided to go elsewhere; and should the 'powers that be' decide on new restrictions while we are away, then for a very low cost we are now prepared !

Cheers

Andy

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 pm
by Bryn | 990 Posts

yea, we have one and I don't go anywhere

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:07 pm
by jobberwock (deleted)

Referring to my earlier posting regarding the Mot and stickers to the front windscreen.

The information I had was given to me last week by the MOT inspector as he carried out the Mot on my vehicle
We were passing the time of day, as we do here in Lincolnshire, no rush, and he took me through the various screens on his computer.

He explained that the Mot has had a major revision quite recently but I don't want to bore people with all the technicalities OR as my
dear wife would say 'He's forgotten already,

I do however recall the long discussion we had regarding obscuring the windscreen and the advice he gave.

'Don't do it' or remove them before the Mot. He offered similar advice for camera's or sat navs attached to the windscreen.

That is the advice and I simply pass it on.

The reply (NZViking99) to my earlier posting and the link appear to refer to regulations published in 2010.

Cheers
Ian

Last edited Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.450 Posts

The issue with the Crit Air sticker and stickers like the Swiss vignette is that removing them destroys them. I would think (not that I know) that the safest thing to do is have a quiet word with the MOT tester before the test. Unless they are a real jobsworth hopefully they can exercise a little discretion.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I laminated ours then use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to fix it to the screen.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

I covered the sticky side with cling film and bought and old style tax disc holder to display it in when in France. Easily removed and kept in the glove box when in the UK

Troll 530, Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
Eribanut and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 58 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12499 topics and 105498 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2