Best area in France to avoid Hunters?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 am
by Biljul | 51 Posts

Hi all,

we are off to France for a month in September and we know the hunting season will be in full swing. We enjoy walking in the countryside with our dog and are wondering if some parts of France are less popular for hunting or perhaps more regulated than others. For example last year we were in the French Alps in September and at least they only allowed hunting at certain times so we could pick the area and day to walk. We are thinking that maybe Brittanny may be good on the coastal areas.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Scroll up

RE: Best area in France to avoid Hunters?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am
by Bryn | 985 Posts

the most important is that you keep the dog on a lead, it seems the chasse are allowed to shoot boar all year as they are over populated

Biljul likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Best area in France to avoid Hunters?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Bear in mind too that we don't all get shot at all the time while walking our dogs. I live in Brittany so I can't speak for any other region....if there's a big hunt on, they usually our signs out and have watchers.
Be sensible. Keep your dog on a lead. Hunting can go on on both public land and private where permission has been given. Some areas are more sensitive than others. In Brittany, you can walk all over the Gr34 with no worries. (The coastal path). Inland, you'll find that most land is private and you can't access it. It can feel frustrating....acres of beautiful forests and its all private so keep out! The best thing is to contact thentourist office where you want to visit and they can tell you of the best walks in the region.
There are some wonderful walks around us that are totally safe. Just don't assume to be able to walk where you want.
I've heard that in the south beware truffle zones.....they'll shoot you!

Biljul likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:36 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2