Tow Car I Am Confused Help Required!

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:09 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Hiya fellow Eriba people,
Please can you better knowledgeable people on this matter than I help/advice.
I really do try to understand the weight to tow equation but try as I might it does not sink in. It may be easy for some people to understand but its just not my thing we can not all be good at everything.

Here is my question as some of you know my car was written off by the boys in blue (sore point). I have cancelled two holidays already due to having no tow vehicle, taking my time picking one. I have seen one I fancy I know estates are the better option but the one I have seen is a saloon.

It is a VW Passat 2l 170ps saloon so I know its got plenty of puff but is it good enough to pull my 2003 Troll GT. I have also seen a ford 2l estate, now due to having to buy within a budget being care full getting the right car should hopefully pay premiums.

Thank you for any help and information you can give me on this subject. I know this topic has been spoken about before on this forum but as said it just doesn't sink in. Morphy (Steve & Bev)

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

RE: Tow Car I Am Confused Help Required!

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Steve and Bev,
If the cars you mention are diesel they should be excellent. If they are petrol then they should still be good.
The guide is take the basic empty weight of the car and the fully loaded weight of the car for the van to do the 85% thing. Remember though that this is only a guide. The loaded van can legally be the same weight of empty car, unless the car manufacturer says different.
If you can physically get to each of the cars then look at the list of weights that should usually be found on the pillar between the driver and rear passenger door. It should have a gross train weight as the last figure. Take the loaded car figure from this to get what you can legally tow.
The easiest answer though is to look here for a simple answer :- https://towcar.info/GB/

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Sorry for missing that info out yes they are both diesel cars I have had a look at the short cut. Thank you Colin it says according to that they are good for towing my caravan. It just says variant doesn't say saloon or estate or does variant mean either?
Steve thank you

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Steve and Bev. No, we didn't know you were written off by Le Flic.

I think your Troll is a 1200kg van. Agger? I would think either vehicle you're looking at would eat it. Before our Touran, we towed our 1000kg Troll with a Focus estate. 1600 TDi 90 bhp and it was adequate.

By the way, our 2 litre 140 bhp Touran which is not that much different to the Passat, is badged as being capable of towing up to 1500kg.

It's so good to hear from you both again.

R and A

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:09 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Thank you Roger yes all well just really annoyed at loosing the car. You could not make it up how it happened we will be coming to the meet next year so will tell you all about it then. In typical Morphy fashion it's pretty much unbelievable :) or in my case :(

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:22 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Yep 1200kg model daughter has a Passat diesel, beauty of these is you get a proper spare wheel, not sure about the Mondy although Son in law has one, both have plenty of grunt, but I get 50mpg BMW 5 series and they get 40 mpg if there luckyhowever I keep a logwhereas they use an abacus and some old coins to work it out.

Both cars should prove to be reliable work horses although I really liked the BMW 3 series 2ltr diesel as a towcar, we don't currently tow with the 5as Jen still has "problems"

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Randa france and Morphy like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1