Entrance door closure problem - solved.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

Some time ago we discussed how to make the entrance door close more tightly onto its seal. This was a problem because, unlike in a car, the striker plate is fixed and therefore cannot be moved to adjust the door fit. I've been pondering how to overcome this and now, after a bit of experimentation, appear to have solved the problem.

I reasoned that had I been able to adjust the striker plate, I would have moved it slightly inward so that the latch pulled the door further into the frame. Therefore, if I added some metal to the inside edge of the alloy striker or some plastic to the flat side of the latch, this would have the same effect.

After some thinking, I decided that modifying the striker plate would be easier and originally came up with the idea of attaching a piece of alloy using a couple of small countersunk machine screws in tapped holes drilled in the striker.

I discussed this idea with my friendly gunsmith/engineer who said, "Why not bond it on with special epoxy? It will be much easier." So that's what I've done, and it works.

Unfortunately I didn't take any 'before' pictures but all I did was to cut a template from a piece of card and then transfer the outline onto a piece of alloy angle that I had lying about in my workshop that looked to be about the right thickness. Mine measured 2.89 mm but if you are experiencing the same problem you may need a different thickness.

I then tried the latch from inside the caravan to see if it would close with the metal held in place with my fingers. When I was satisfied that all was well I filed the metal smooth and then filed a chamfer on the leading edge to help the latch ride into its new location.

After roughening up both surfaces, I mixed a very small amount of Evo Stik Metal Epoxy, glued both surfaces and pressed the new piece into position. Clamping proved impossible due to the curved surfaces on the striker but the adhesive held the parts together unaided and within five minutes it was safe to handle.

As a precaution, I smeared some silicone grease onto the inner edge of the modified striker and the flat side of the latch and it works! The door now closes and locks smoothly and is held tight and solidly into its frame.

Result!

Doorlatch01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Doorlatch02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Doorlatch03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

eribanaut, , Ray Lawrence and Sportique like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:29 pm | Scroll up

RE: Entrance door closure problem - solved.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

That's interesting. I read your post a couple of time too realise that you wanted your door to close more closely.

It looks like you have a door flyscreen as does my 2007 Triton 430 and I have the opposite problem in that my closure is a bit tight and I have to push quite hard for the door to latch properly. OK from outside but not so good at night when pulling the door shut from inside.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm

It wasn't until I took the caravan for a chassis service a year ago and JohnE commenting on it that I realised I had a problem with the door. It's possible that at some time in its life it was caught by the wind and slammed back, distorting the hinge in the process.

I've heard of people removing their door and bending it over their knee in order to make it fit better but I decided that that was a bit too crude (and scary) for me.

I'll admit to being a little nervous when I went to unlock the van this morning having had visions of the door being glued or seized in position but all was well. The latch operates as smoothly as it has always done so I'm very happy with the results of all my fiddling about.

To make the door fit more loosely it would be necessary to do the opposite of what I did and file metal off the inboard edge of the door striker plate. It might not take much effort to achieve the desired result.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am

Just had another look and now I can see why mine is different. My latch is engaging over the fly screen side channel.
If I just push the door in and engage just the striking plate the latch doesn't extend far enough and it cannot be locked, either with the key outside or the manual knob inside. If I pull or push the door hard the latch is able to extend fully over the fly screen channel and I am then able to lock it.

IMG_20180830_085811451.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20180830_085756848.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Picture on left is fully closed, on the right not quite, unable to lock.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am

Crikey! That is weird, Ray.

I've just had a look at mine and it looks as though someone has started to modify yours by cutting the edge of the flyscreen channel above the black-marked area before perhaps chickening out? It looks like the intention was to remove the area that prevents the latch engaging on the striker.

I'd be tempted to carefully file the edge off the channel that is preventing the latch from engaging with the striker. It shouldn't adversely affect the operation of the flyscreen.

On our caravan, the distance from the outer edge of the striker to the edge of the flyscreen channel is 13.7mm. What does yours measure?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 am

PS

Alternatively I suppose you could shorten the plastic latch slightly so it can extend further from its housing and enable the lock to operate. We are probably only talking about a couple of millimetres so it should be an easy job.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks Aaron, I now have a cause, solution and fix

Being very inquisitive, as you might have guessed by now from previous posts , I took the whole lock apart.
It turns out that the lock was not fitted centrally to the hole in the door thus moving it closer to the door frame than standard. To shorten the latch would require the removal of about 4mm which I thought was too much. So, my solution was to spring the fly screen channel away from the striker plate by about 3mm and also shorten the latch by about 2 mm.
I found a suitable springy plate of about 3mm and did enough work with a file with the lock insitu to remove just enough for a snug fit. We'll see how long it lasts

IMG_20180830_140343983.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20180830_140315516_HDR.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20180830_134248854.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Left pic snug fit, middle pic 3mm gap, right pic off centre lock mounting

Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:21 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Well done, Ray. Looks like you've cracked it.

All part and parcel of Eriba ownership.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Love it

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105334 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0