Walker Snow & Fun Awning DONT GO THERE!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 pm
by Adventure Ted (deleted)

For those of you looking at this awning DONT buy one until you see my review. It is defanitly NOT designed for the Eriba Touring range. I just need to work out how to post pics and video to the post.

7 Continents ticked - now more around home with him in his van with a van.
Scroll up

RE: Walker Snow & Fun Awning DONT GO THERE!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:31 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:27 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

Walker awnings are great quality, very robust, and an excellent fit. That's my take on the Touring Plus. Not tried the winter one. My only criticism is the time it takes to put one up, but it's getting quicker each time.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 am

It didn't! Looking at your photos you can see the problem. There is a gap u can get your fist through top and bottom. First night I used it the rain was flying in through the gap. If that had been snow the awning would have been full! It also moves in the rail in the wind and the bead is under massive stress just because of the design. One night and the stitching was pulling apart. I'll post the video I did. Needless to say it has been returned for a full refund dispitebWalker wanting me to send it back to them for evaluation. It may be a bomb proof awning on a regular caravan but the modification to make it fit the Pop top Eriba is very poor. They need to rethink the design or make one specific for the height and shaped sides.

Does anyone know of other porch awnings that are suitable for winter.? I have looked at the Adventure veichles one but can't find it for sale on line anywhere. Looks like a trip,to the caravan show will be required.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:31 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

For the uninitiated..which photo please ?

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 pm

The first one looking inside of the erected awning. You can see daylight from the awning rail,down to the door hing and again below the centre line of the caravan. Wind rain and snow will sorry does Howell,into the awning via these gaps that cannot be avoided because of the design. I'll post my pics later

Last edited Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Ok so here are the pictures and what I wrote to The supplier.

Dear Team

On Wednesday the 22nd August 2018 I bought a Walker Snow and Fun Plus Awning from you, which I want to be collected and returned to you for a full refund as it is not fit for purpose.

The Walker website claims;

Eriba Touring
For Eriba Touring caravans Walker developed special awnings.

There are a number of issues with it:

1 Awning fit
2 Stitching quality
3 Stability
4 General modified design

1. Awning fit

The awning has quite clearly not been designed for the shape of the Eriba Troll body. This was noticed as soon as I had erected it. There are large gaps at the top and bottom where the sealing pads are supposed to seal the awning to the caravan as protection from the weather. This was a problem on the first night with rain and wind driving through the gap. see photos 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Photo 1 - from the inside rearward end of the awning
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.50.37.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Photo 2 from the inside front end of the awning

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.50.59.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Photo 3 from the outside rear

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.49.45.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Photo 4 From the outside front

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.47.46.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
2 Stitching quality

The awning would appear to be a modified version of the standard height version. The panel that has been added to enable the bead to fit the lower awning attachment channel is very poorly designed and stitched. After only relatively light winds on Sunday night the stitching has started to come apart: see photo

4. There is no way this would survive a week of the same winds let alone the expected life expectancy of a £500 awning.

Photo 5

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.48.33.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.19.27.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

3 Stability

With the relatively light winds and with the storm straps fitted the awning was moving side to side in the channel which made the beads start to come out of the channel. see photo 5. You can also see the tension on the stitching point where to bead is attached to the panel marked in red which cannot be avoided no matter how the rear awning support poles are angled.

Photo 5 rear channel bead

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.52.02.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

4 General modified design

The general modifications made to make this an Eriba specific awning make it impossible to weather seal the awning to the Eriba body shape, no matter how the support poles are positioned or how the sealing pads are manipulated. Therefore there is nothing to stop wind blown rain and snow entering the awning, let alone the wind.
The side to side movements cannot be prevented without the further addition of side guys or straps. In higher winds the bead would probably pull right out of the awning channel detaching it from the caravan and possibly damaging the caravan, at the very least the stitching would fail completely.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

It would look like the design has changed. If you look at my photos 1 & 6 you will see the top of the vertical poles next to the van are cranked at the top so they point back towards the pop-top. I only put the awning up as a quick check to see all was present and the fit looked very promising. In fact I recall the [Troll] owner who bought it from me contacting me to say he was very pleased with it.

So, have you got the correct poles?

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Pass its been returned and I have received a full refund. Looking your pictures yours had the same issue with the gaps between the pads and the van body. From these instructions it looks ike your cracked poles are fitted backwards. Mine did not have the extra pole that is in your picture

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Snow&fun Plus _ERIBA.?SILVER.pdf Snow&fun Plus _ERIBA.?SILVER.pdf

Last edited Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2