Fridge on EHU

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:13 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Noticed that my fridge does not get that cold, and since buying a small waeco fridge for the car it is much colder. What would be the part needed, the fridge works but feels the heat coming out of the vents but on full it doesn't seem as cold any more.

Scroll up

RE: Fridge on EHU

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

How does it do on gas Taffy?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

A little better but not as cold as it used to be. It is a 2008 model. Used to get ice on freezer compartment but that no longer happens but the contents were frozen in there. I shall have to check it first with a temperature gauge inside. But I noticed in the hot weather recently the food didn't last and had started to turn so was thrown.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:54 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Has the weather been exceedingly hot with you Taffy or has it been normal? A lot of folk now use computer fans to support the grill cooling for the back of the fridge although we've not seen the need to use ours this year.

The problem does point towards the element but if you're also unhappy with the temperature while running on gas then I'm not sure.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:18 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

it's important to establish if the fridge is becoming inefficient on all methods of heating the boiler in the fridge or just gas or electric. Different fixes accordingly.

If it's just generally inefficient on both gas and electric I would first of all take both outside vent grills off and check the airflow over the heat exchanging fins at the top. Are the fins clean and clear of dust and cobwebs? Do you have fly screens in the external vents? These can get dirty and partially blocked reducing the airflow. I removed the fly screen mesh completely on mine.
There should be a metal plate or similar half way up the fridge fixed to the outer wall, to prevent the cool air from the lower grill rising up past the heat exchanger fins not through them. This fixture is often badly installed or even missing on some installations.

Finally, in an older fridge, some of the liquid components in the gas/liquid absorption system can form small crystals which will disrupt or block the proper flow of gas/liquid through the system. This can sometimes be fixed by removing the fridge completely and turning it upside down for a day a couple of times. Some folks have tried this and swear by it.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
granddadgrape likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Used to get ice on freezer compartment but that no longer happens but the contents were frozen in there.

I'm confused! But that happens frequently.......i don't thinknits age as ours is 20. We had to change the element this year.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Islay, did you notice any significant improvement in the cooling of the fridge with the new element? I have been wondering about how efficient mine is of late. How much of a faff is it to change the element?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 am

Well, our fridge wasn't getting cold at all. Now, its back to normal. But, it was a pro jobby as the whole kitchen had to be removed.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Ah, ok.. Not a project to enter into lightly, then...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Must depend on what model Eriba you have as to how difficult it is to remove fridge.
I've had mine out twice in 4 years of ownership. Once right at the beginning to clear a very badly blocked gas jet, and a couple of years later to try the upside down trick to clear crystals and blocked pipes (successful)

In my Triton 430GT I can get my fridge out in about 15 minutes without dismantling anything else in the van. The trickiest part is manouvering the fridge out of the van through the narrow doorway without damage to the van or the fridge.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 am

Our 430 is 20 years old so i can imagine there have been many changes since!....

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have installed a thermometer and the fridge registers 9 degrees at number 6 on EHU, it seems that it has to be run at full capacity even in this weather to get the fridge cool enough. I shall continue to do tests on Gas to try to work out any issue.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Taffy, have you checked the door seals? The more affluent members of this forum slip a £50 note between the seal and the frame and see if it nips it. I use a ten bob note
It could be your thermostat failing as your electric element is still actually working. I would have thought that an electric element either works or doesn't unless perhaps the resistance changes with corrosion maybe?

Still worth checking it on gas if that's possible, that would really help the fault finding.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I have run it on the EHU and to get it down to 2-3 degrees, it has to be turned up full on number 7! If on 5 and 6 it only cools down to 9 degrees. Next will be to put it over to gas and then check if that runs cooler at reasonable settings rather than full power.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 am
by Taffy (deleted)

After finding the fridge has to run at full power number 7 I have now turned off electric and hooked up the gas. I put it on the middle setting and it chilled to minus 3 ! I have turned it down to just the low setting now and hope it rises a bit. From that trial, any advice on what may need replacing on the electric side of fridge running.

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7