Cleaning pop up canvas

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm
by Phil Barber (deleted)

Hello all,

Our 2007 Puck has a pretty grubby roof canvas and we're keen on a clean up. I'd like to ask if anyone else has had success with this and the method they used. I've never tried to clean canvas before and I'm a bit concerned I'll make a pigs ear of it which would be a shame!!

Thanks a lot.

Phil

Scroll up

RE: Cleaning pop up canvas

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:39 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.450 Posts

You need 303 Multi surface cleaner to clean the canvas and 303 Fabric guard to re-roof the canvas. There is a very detailed description of how to remove the canvas from the Eriba (in the Blog section) to clean it or you can clean it in situ. We removed ours to clean it, next time I'd be tempted to do it in situ. If you don't remove it to clean make sure you remove all upholstery and cover all surfaces to protect them. You also need really good weather for the canvas to dry so it may not be a job for this time of year.
It did clean up quite a lot so worth doing.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

, eribanaut, addisb and like this post!
Last edited Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 pm
by Phil Barber (deleted)

Thanks you Julie and Neil for this advice. I'll definitely have a go probably with the canvas in situ. Next summer it'll get done!! So very pleased with our Puck!!

All the best,

Phil and Jane

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:34 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Its a good idea to remove the pop top bungee first, 303 makes it stretch like hell.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #4
Its a good idea to remove the pop top bungee first, 303 makes it stretch like hell.
Dave

If you do remove your "knicker elastic" (I did) make sure you tie a length of cord, string, wool etc to the end and leave it in the "fabric tubes" this will make rethreading much easier!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm
by Phil Barber (deleted)

Thanks a lot Dave!! great advice!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I've reproofed the canvas on two vans now, and found the best way is to empty the 303 into a tub and paint it on with a 2" or 3" paint brush, this way you don't get as much on the roof [which is bad for the fiberglass] or waste as much in overspray, plus you can wok it into the canvas for a better penetration.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #7
I've reproofed the canvas on two vans now, and found the best way is to empty the 303 into a tub and paint it on with a 2" or 3" paint brush, this way you don't get as much on the roof [which is bad for the fiberglass] or waste as much in overspray, plus you can wok it into the canvas for a better penetration.
Dave

Ahha….. The stir-fry Method !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am
by Rosalind & Malcolm Smith (deleted)

OK will give a go at cleaning in-situ from the outside of the van. Have purchased Fenwicks Awning and Tent Cleaner and will give this a go unless anyone thinks it a bad idea. Marine Multicleaner 303 seems very problematic/ dangerous if spread about too much. Cheers and thanks for organising this Forum and welcoming us tho a bit late to still be Forum virgins as have been running around in Eribas for 17 summers: Uk, France & Spanish Pireneos. So es mejor un poco tarde que nunca!

Sparks and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:07 pm
by davethebeard (deleted)

Ah, glad to see that someone is doing it at the moment... if you land up re-proofing it with "303" please let me know how you protected the van and pop-top roofs. Like eribanaut above I am inclined to go along the painting route
Dave

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105515 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1