Adding a freezer into the Eriba.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

As many of you know, we have carried a 500mm cube, 240v freezer with us for many years. It goes in the back of the car between stops.

However, it would be nice to install it into the Eriba so that we don't need to worry about setting it up outside, particularly in bad weather. At one stop in N.Ireland we had it on the floor in the front of the van so it got us thinking.

Without ruining the exisiting standard layout of the van for the future, I am thinking of raising the seating height of the front dinette where the freezer would go and building a lightweight fixed bed framework over the top of the freezer. Dimensionally it's a sound proposition and if we redistributed the weighty items in the front lockers, we should be able to retain a decent nose weight.

My only concern is whether the freezer will withstand the bumpy ride in the van. Will it be more bumpy than it is in the extreme back of the car? As far as ventilation is concerned, there will be plenty of room around it for air flow (far mare than in a kitchen environment.)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm | Scroll up

RE: Adding a freezer into the Eriba.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:50 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

I've been thinking about this, Roger, hence the delay in replying. I'm a little confused about your intentions though. Are you saying that you intend to remove your front dinette to accommodate the freezer and build a fixed bed to replace the dinette?

If so, I think this would be a retrograde step that you would regret as the front dinette makes the van more practical and desirable.

Why would the freezer be more susceptible to travel vibration than the fridge that is already installed. I can't imagine it being a problem.

Anyway, you know what I think about lugging a bloody freezer across continents. Leave it at home. That way you'll be able to get your washing machine in the back of the car instead.

Sorted.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Yes but I would ensure that the modification could be easily removed and the front dinette reinstated if we ever needed to do so. The fixed bed would have to be 500mm high to go over the freezer but it's a good height for a childrens top and tail bed (for the grandchildren) and without the freezer travelling in the car we can take the grandkids away as we would not take the rear seats out.

We have the double dinette at the back and we never leave that bed up.

The freezer is a huge benefit if you're travelling for long periods as not only does it half the number of occassions you have to do a food shop but by buying larger quantities of meat and frozen veg you also save money.

My concern with travel vibration is because the manufacturers of all domestic appliances don't recommend they be moved frequently and there's often much chat about the bad ride in a caravan compared with a car. I can't see that there would be that much difference however as we intend carrying it in the front and therefore near to the tow hitch.

The main reason for doing it is that we intend to do a long distance drive to far away locations in the future and only stop over for one nighters en route, so it makes sense not to erect the canopy and sort out the splitter wiring for these stop overs.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:23 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I think I have your answer Roger.

bejam-truck.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:25 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 pm

No good Andy. They sold out to Iceland years ago.

Randa

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Are you really saving money on meat and veg? There are special offers here too. It's amazing how much food you can squeeze into those little fridges. Lidl are everywhere lol

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.289 Posts

I must admit I am another guilty party who takes a freezer if away in France for a few weeks or longer. It is party cost driven, but also lead by a convenience factor.
I enjoy my food and cooking and will take away sausages, bacon and prepared chicken pieces. Home made items include pork burgers and lamb paties, ratatouie, curry, vegetable samosas, relishes, chili, bolognesse sauce, mozerella/aubergine bake, coriander, etc.
When away I can quickly chill down a nice crisp white wine or rose. I can also have a sorbet and ice cream ready whenever I want.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Words fail me. (Not really but for once I'm being diplomatic.)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:46 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There's one thing that going back to a campervan has reminded me of and that is you can manage fine without lots of 'stuff'. When we had the first iteration of the camper back in '06 to '08 we fell foul of the 'get more stuff' issue. So much so that we had to buy a bike rack to fit an enormous Fiamma back box to. This time the van is a foot or so longer, has one extra roof locker, a slightly wider half wardrobe and a 'boot' that's a foot deeper, but I've found that approaching it forearmed with the knowledge of our previous issues means we limit packing to what will fit and is totally necessary. Even since getting the van, in May, we've taken things out that we don't use. One of those is the cool box as with careful planning before and during a trip the 50 litre on board fridge is adequate, but you do have to have the right mindset to achieve the minimal approach.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 am

Zitat
Quote SDA:- we limit packing to what will fit and is totally necessary.

Exactly.

There is no point debating this issue because the tow car is, more often than not, the dictating factor as is the length of time spent away from home.

We thought long and hard when purchasing our tow car, exactly what we needed and contrary to it being a pantechnicon as Mr C calls it, it's rather a small car by comparison with most, but it does have a large carrying capacity. It's all relative . Mr Motters was of the same opinion and at the time, drove the same model car.

As the three very heavy rear seats can be taken out in a matter of minutes, there is no point in lugging them around Europe for three months. Therefore that frees up a lot of weight and space which allows us to carry a few more luxuries.

I doubt any of us would choose to do without a freezer for three months while at home so, if space isn't an issue, I can't understand why some people are so against it.

Randa

Last edited Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:09 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 am
by gattim (deleted)

.....because it causes people to end up considering making pretty large modifications to the inside of their ‘van maybe?

What’s wrong with food shopping whilst abroad anyway? We find it a major part of the holiday and don’t feel it a chore and something to be minimised.
Browsing a market or supermarket together is something we find quite pleasurable (and something Linda can do). The fridge, although not huge, seemed adequate for us to have capacity for a few days food. We would miss the freezer at home for three months, but then we would miss the shower, microwave, oven, grill, Sky, armchairs, coffee machine, washing machine, tumble dryer, and many other things too..... but the whole point, surely, is that we are not at home!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 am

On holiday we have much more time for shopping. I want to find local specialities and cook them. I don't really want to eat the same things that we get at home. I suppose we've only eriba'd in france so there's an abundance wherever you go.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 am

But your van comes with a microwave and oven Mike? Also many folk insist on a hot water system but see that as reasonable even though it's impossible to shower in an Eriba. As I said earlier, it's pointless arguing about it as different people have a different opinion on what is important to take and my question was more about the logistics of carrying the freezer in the van as opposed to carrying it in the car. We have a basic van with no factory built editions so I see no harm in making an easy modification to make it work for us.

There's nothing wrong with food shopping abroad and we do plenty of it. It's just that we would rather not spend every third day in a French Supermarket checkout queue. Shopping every couple of days may work for some but it doesn't work for us.

I get the impression from Islay's comments that we don't buy anything that is foreign to us? We don't live off Cumberland sausage and chips when away. Our diets are more varied than most.

Randa

Last edited Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:45 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Quote: gattim wrote in post #11
.....because it causes people to end up considering making pretty large modifications to the inside of their ‘van maybe?

I don't have a problem with altering inside the van. Its job is to provide a comfortable base for me whilst away on holiday. The basic Eriba design is pretty good to start with but there is always room for improvement for one's personal taste.

I wouldn't dream of doing away with the front dinette for a freezer..............but I might consider a beer cooler

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
eribanaut, , Eribanut and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 am

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, Roger. I'm just saying that we like shopping on holiday. If had known that you kept sausages in your freezer, I'd have done a ninja raid.

Eribanut and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105516 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0