ERIBA 430GT Water damaged Interior panels

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm
by Simon (deleted)

[[File:20180923_124403.jpg]]Hello
Bought my ERIBA caravan 2months back and towed it back to Nottingham from Monmouthshire. Never had a caravan before. Convinced my wife it was the best idea .....ever. ( been hanging my nose for 2 years) With the help of this wonderful forum I moved, upgraded and overhauled the BIP unit. Fitted a new 16 amp RCD trip and a new 5 amp MCB for the 230vac fridge supply and generally sorted the electrics. Fitted new gas pipe in the gas store. Towed it to the east coast on our first caravan tour. Found a nice relaxed grassy site. Visited friends who live near Sutton-on-Sea. It was very windy the first night could not put up the awning but it was ok. Then we set of to visit more friends in east Yorkshire on what could well be the windiest day of the year ( the day that saw a caravan in Ireland blown of a site onto the beach) Drove over the Humber bridge which was closed to high sided vehicles the ERIBA towed like a dream even in the high wind it was never a problem. Got to the site which I had booked another nice grassy none fussy site. During that night it started to rain.....Lots of rain. I was shaken awake in the early hours by a very cross wife who was now lying in water logged bed. My best Idea ever had just been blown out the water.. excuse the pun. The water I have subsequently found was leaking into the caravan from the gutter rail above the rear window. Not a huge leak but a steady seeping leak that creeps and leaches and capillary's. Half the bed was soaked. So the first tour came to a premature end. Back home I found this caravan had a history of water leak so I was determined to find the source. I had to remove most of the storage bins above the rear window....No easy task. I found out exactly where the leak was and I have repaired it with soudal fix all flexi. So I now get to the point of this post.....Replacing water damaged interior wall panels. Why do they make them out of blotting paper material and once wet they swell up, stain and never return to what they once were????? Please is there any one out there who has had to replace panels. I not really interested in putting blotting paper back I would prefer something a little more water proof ( paranoid about leaks now) I have looked at 3mm ply but it is not flexible enough.

20181007_154226.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20180923_124723.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: ERIBA 430GT Water damaged Interior panels

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Sorry to hear your sad news Simon. What age is your van and does it have any service history. I am guessing from the floor design it is about 2010/2012.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Hi Simon. We are so sorry to hear of your bad experience with your Eriba, especially as it's a newish van. I daresay there is little anyone can say to Mrs S about the matter to get you out of the doghouse, only that it's the first time we've ever heard of something like this happening to the extend you describe.

At the same time, we were snugly sitting it out on the northernmost tip of Northern Island in a 19 year old van.

Anyway, I've looked up a thread that we often use, where the Fitzgerald family were sold a classic Eriba that they subsequently found was badly rusted and I've shared the link from where Mark is putting it back together. He repanelled it using white faced hardboard :-

Eriba Triton needing a lot of welding (2)

Five years on and Family Fitgerald are still happy with their van and are doing many miles a year with her.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 pm
by Simon (deleted)

Hello Colin ...... Thank you for the reply...You are correct the 430 is 2009. It's not so bad now as i have located and repaired the water leak and now in the process of trying to locate the right type of interior wall board to replace the damaged panels.
Simon

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm
by Simon (deleted)

Hello Randa
You lucky man to be in Ireland and on tour. Thank you for the kind reply. I have now located and cured the daft leak, this has mitigated my position regarding the kennel just a little....... In the process of sorting out the problem I have learned a lot about my ERIBA caravan...Most of it good. I am still researching the interior panels but at the moment white fibre board is looking the best option although the colours do not match . Thank you for showing the thread that has been useful.
Simon

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:25 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I believe that I read somewhere, Jandi [Scotland] can get a self adhesive "wall paper" .
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105548 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5