Remoska v Double Skillet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:10 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.603 Posts

I joined the Remoska club, It's has already cooked some great stews, warmed up pies and baked potatoes, however I find that a lot of the recipes also require cooking in a frying pan before adding to the Remoska. This means that I still need extra cooking paraphernalia to be packed in the van, the advantage is that I can save on my gas using the EHU. I have noticed that although it has four steam vents in the lid it collects a lot of condensation in the handle where the electrics are and this has been a cause for early failure of the product.

I have had the small Double skillet for eight years, it will do almost the same as the Remoska and more, I can use it as two deep frying pans, two pans, an oven, a steamer. The heat diffuser can also be used for warming things up. It's not electrical so longevity is assured and has already proved itself. The only extra cooking item I need is a milk pan. The downside is that I use my gas, although I tend to get two and a half seasons out of a 6kg calor lite. You cannot grill things or cook pizzas as their is no direct heat from above. This oven is ideal if you wild camp with no EHU.

The verdict:

They are both great bits of kit, however for versatility, durability and as a camping accessory in my opinion the double skillet slightly top trumps the Remoska.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:10 pm | Scroll up

RE: Remoska v Double Skillet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

We've never owned a double skillet and I can't think of a Remoska cooked dish we've had that requires pre cooking.

Among our regulars are chicken with potatoes, onions and carrots, mince with garlic bread topping, Mars bar muffins and Mrs SDA cooks all the bacon wrapped chipolatas etc in the Remoska on Christmas day to free up space in the oven.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:39 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.603 Posts

I have got the Remoska Lakeland cook book, it keeps telling me to brown my meat in a frying pan..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

You can brown your meat in the remoska, remove it, then continue with the recipe. Often, steps can be skipped with no great detriment to a recipe.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.450 Posts

Admittedly I don't cook meat (don't eat it) but I always ignore anything in the Remoska cookbook that requires me to remove anything cooked in it or pre cook something in another pan. I treat everything as a one pan meal and so far so good.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105504 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1