RE: Dilemma with my Sunbrella

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:36 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Randa, further up this thread you showed how you found a cut bead to enable removal of the canvas. I thought about that and came to the same conclusion about how to install the canvas completely joined.

Funny that previous contributors to the thread and their own blog do not mention this.............I think.

I've had a good look around my canvas and I can't find any obvious difference in the stitching where it would have had the final join.

Perhaps they just allow the bead to be pinched in one spot as it's pulled round, making a strenuous task even more difficult.

Maybe factory assembly is different?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

Have you pulled the canvas down where the bulge is Ray? (in our case over a vent). We could feel the cut bead at that point. If it was anywhere else in the run then we wouldn't have found it.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:47 pm

No, nothing at the bulge. Stitching is all continuous also.
Not a problem though, I can make my own cut if required :)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Hi just to say
didn't cut anything that is why not mention in the blog, the blog was wrote how I did it, look at it as a how to,
then
amend and adjust your method as you require, different people have different skills, able ments, and abilities, some things that I did, can no long do now, we move forward in many ways, no way is perfect but there is achievable goal in the end.

when did the sunbrella the second time after pitching under a dripping sap tree, (another lesson learnt on that pitch)
using the second method, it came out ok with out cutting for me, could that be because the sunbrella pop had previously been out when took all those screws out?
perhaps the fibro has given me super human muscles, ,

also remember awning rails being a topic something about a bead do dah tool being used to ensure the gap was equal to save, a narrow nip point when fitting awnings, have never used one of them bead tools either but should the rails have a narrow part, would not hesitate to buy a bead doo dah tool. in the right size, of which do not know without getting the verniers gauge or mircrometers out on the beading to be inserted..

there is no right or wrong, we are all learning together.

now did I tell you about the tale of cat litter and a psychotherapy person. very funny tale that perhaps show be in another area.
regards a

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:34 pm

So, today we missed a good day to rewaterproofing our poptop roof.

We decided to put it all back together again and, although sliding the top piping/beading didn't prove as difficult as when we took it out, it was still a teadious job. We tried to widen the gap on the corners of the aluminium channel and also used a spray of silicone lubricant. Still a lot of tugging and manhandling which was as we expected, hence the reason for not waterproofing it before hand.

It wasn't a simple job rehousing the lower aluminium profiles and the bottom of the fabric either, but with a lot of patience (something I've never had) we got it done. Then it was putting back the herzim strip over the screw heads. That seemed to take forever although by this time we were tired out.

The whole job probably took the best part of 4 hours to reinstall and although the fabric was a lot easier to slide back into place, it was all the fiddly bits from there on in that took the time.

sIMG_6586.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6587.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6588.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6590.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

A good result though. We are really pleased and hope that the waterproofing doesn't darken the fabric too much.

Snoopy-on-his-kennel-1600-1200.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The crepe bandage is still work in progress.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
mr_underhill and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Oh Dear Randa, seems like an awful amount of effort,
however, looking at your earlier pics, you had quite a lot of mould damage which would seem to be quite hard to treat without removal from the caravan.

Your final result looks fantastic so well done

My main problem is grease from cooking in one quarter and general dusty grubbiness externally.
I've had a go on a small patch at removing the grease with dishwasher liquid, diluted, on a small patch which has been successful. Probably will have spoilt the water proofing properties but I'll come back to that.
I'm inclined to complete the internal cleaning and then a light external cleaning followed by a dose of waterproofing. I'll save complete removal for another day.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I replaced Herzim strip recently using Pepé le Pew’s tip about using the tip of a mastic dispenser cut on an angle. It proved remarkably effective.
Thanks Pete!

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Finally got round to waterproofing it today.

303 Fabric guard for Outdoor Fabrics. No surprise but used nearly 2 qty 473ml spray bottles (the 946ml bottles are too big to get near the canvas).

However, our Troll has a canvas size of 7.4 metres x .54 metres = 1.85 sq metres.
One 473ml bottle of 303 claims to have a spread of between 3.7 and 7 sq metres. B****cks.

Randa

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.450 Posts

You just have to think of how smug you will feel sat inside your Troll when the heavens open and the rain floods down

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I'll bet that he will be worried the first time though :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:27 pm

"And so to bed"...... Washed, dried, waterproofed and looking very glamourous, our Troll is now under the winter covers. Next year's plans have already started. (ferries already booked)

Randa

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:14 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #41
"And so to bed"...... Washed, dried, waterproofed and looking very glamourous, our Troll is now under the winter covers. Next year's plans have already started. (ferries already booked)

Randa

Where to...….Greece ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Maybe

Randa

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

You've done a lovely job in the canvas. Ours will have to stay spotty as I'm not as brave as you.
The only consolation at this time of year is the planning for next year. Greece would be amazing.....and a long way! Spanakopita here you come!

Last edited Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Hi Roger. Couldn't see an answer re the actual colour of newer poptops. Ours is a 2015 Triton 420. The poptop material is grey. Hard to tell with the light behind but the edges around the washroom dropdown are white so the difference is quite marked. Will do a photo when I pop up next if that would help.

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105516 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0