Jollof Rice

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Jollof rice is a one pot west African dish that I have come across recently. I have been experimenting with it and found it to be very tasty. There are no hard and fast rules about what you put in it, it can contain meat, it can be vegetarian. There are many versions on the internet. Where the recipe mentions use of a food processor, the mini system I mentioned in a previous post could be used or one could use passata instead of chopped tomatoes and crush the garlic, grate the garlic etc. Here is the version I have been following. Not having any experience of a Remoska, I would imagine this would work well in one?

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
• 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
• 1 onion halved and sliced
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 1 chicken stock cube
• 200g basmati rice
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
• 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
• bunch coriander, roughly chopped, to serve

For ginger and chilli base

• 1 garlic clove
• 400g can plum tomatoes
• thumb-size piece fresh root ginger
• 1 scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large deep frying pan over a high heat then add the meat and fry for about 5 mins till golden all over. Lift out of the pan onto a plate.

Add a little more oil to the pan (if needed) and fry the onions until soft but not golden, about 5 mins. While the onions cook, make the ginger and chilli base. Put the garlic, tomatoes, ginger and chilli into a food processor or blender and whizz till smooth.

Add the tomato purée to the onions, fry for another 2 mins then add the ginger and chilli mix. Crumble in the stock cube, stir then pour in 300ml boiling water. Add the chicken, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins.

Put the rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and use your hands to wash the grains. Tip the water out then repeat twice until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the pan, turn the heat down to a simmer then cover with foil and a lid (so no steam can escape) and cook for 20 mins. Take the lid off (the rice won’t be cooked yet) then scatter the peppers and over the rice. Re-cover and cook for 10 mins until the veg is softened and the rice tender. Just before serving, check seasoning, mix the veg through and scatter over coriander.

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12517 topics and 105608 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2