2013 Troll 540 - Drooping Doorstep

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:45 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

The step has slowly been developing a droop on one side (LHS when facing the door). The increase in the degree of droop has speeded up of late. Whilst on site I had a grovel underneath, thinking that one or more boltholes might be wearing. Checked them all for tightness - nothing loose. Now we are home I had a closer look this morning and to my dismay found the cause - a cracked support. See photos below. Neither of us are particularly heavy (both in the 70 to 75kg bracket. 11 to 12 stone in old money).

Anyone any idea what a replacement step & labour is likely to be? Obviously I could just leave the step retracted and use the plastic step we still have from previous caravans, but the integral step is a very convenient feature of the Eriba.

KeithDM
2013 Troll 540 & '15 Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC EX
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba
Scroll up

RE: 2013 Troll 540 - Drooping Doorstep

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Before ordering a new one I'd retract it, unbolt it from the chassis and take it to a local engineering company to see if they could straighten out the angle and run a fillet of weld along it.

Retract it before you take it off so that it doesn't snap shut unexpectedly and chop off an important extremity.

Steve and Debbie, highmiler and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

if welding cannot be done at a reasonable price
remove step, straighten the bent bit and bolt on some 90 degree angle iron, which may be located in you local destroy it yourself place.:-)

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Unfortunately the whole assembly is held in place by large rivets, not bolts. :( The location of some of these will make it difficult to drill them out. In the additional photo (below), it looks like the original crack emanates from one such rivet and a clumsy attempt made to repair it. As we have had the caravan from new, this must have been done to correct the problem during build (I can't imagine A.L. doing this during a previous service - they would surely have mentioned it).

KeithDM
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

That's really poor.

Maybe it needs a different approach. You could try to find out which Hymer employee committed that heinous piece of bodgery and clamp his scrotum tightly in a pair of Mole Grips.

It's difficult to imagine a way of removing those rivets other than by drilling them out or taking the heads off with an angle grinder.

Clearly a bit of grey-painted chewing gum won't mend it, despite what someone seems to think.

Could you heave it back into place with a suitably long lever and then get it TIG welded along the internal angle, d'you think, or would that risk bending the chassis tube it's riveted to?

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:11 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 am
by Suzywong (deleted)

O M G We’ve got a step going like this, got to go and take a look......

Troll 540 pushing Mazda CX-5
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:11 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

will this be still under warranty? you wouldn't expect this to crack
a step cannot be misused can it?, the rivets suggest a factory fit part.
those rivets will be hard to drill out with the centres in.
perhaps send the pictures to your eriba service people to investigate..

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:21 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Just been to van and checked our step, fine although we never use it as have Milenco Step on ground. While there and sitting at front dinette managed to break the bottom locker handle!!! Went to swing the door up and it came away from the piano hinge!! Upon inspection the hinge was completely rusty and jammed up hence the door came away. So new handle and hinge required

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:22 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Are you sure there isn't a bolt head on the other side of those "rivets"? They look pretty big for rivets (about the size used on theTitanic). The disks may actually be welded on nuts.

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Keith,
two options if you want to retain the use of the integral step.
1 - use a pin punch or masonary nail and see if you can punch out, or at least partly dislodge the snap pin in the pop rivet. If you manage this it would make drilling out the rivet with an angle drive drill easier. I am guessing the rivets are 5mm
2 - use a cutting disc in a 115mm angle grinder and remove the body of the step. Next cut away the angle bits that hold the step to the chassis. Finally take the steps to a nice man [sorry if that sounds sexist] with a welder to weld on two new pre drilled angle brackets so the steps can be bolted back into place

Alternatively, cut the thing off,put some grommets in the holes and use the portable step.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 am
by KeithDM (deleted)

Thanks for the further responses/suggestions. Definitely not captive nuts - unfortunately!
Have to say that at over seventy years old my days of grovelling under a chassis are somewhat behind me. I'll email the photos (and those of the problematic roof) to A.L. today so that a discussion with Hymer can be initiated regarding the way the step was fitted and (hopefully) a way forward can be found.

KeithDM
Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:02 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Just had a look at mine and agree they are just rivets. I am surprised that Eriba have used rivets here rather than a proper nut and bolt, although this shouldn't affect the bracket. It looks to me as if the construction of the bracket is the problem. The corner where the 2 folds coincide looks ripe for a fatigue related crack to occur. A triangle welded across the angle would be so much stronger.

step.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7