In freezing conditions

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

We have a 2018 Troll with external Aquaroll water. Apartfom getting an insulation jacket for the Aquaroll, what other things should I consider for using the Eriba in freezing conditions?
There are plenty of general caravan tips out there, but i’m much more interested in hearing from Eriba owners.
Do I need to worry about the waste pipes? The supply pipes? The water heater?

~ N

~ 530 and proud

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am | Scroll up

RE: In freezing conditions

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I can't offer you any advice, but where are you going? It's not often we hear about people in freezing conditions. I'm intrigued.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Just thinking ahead for winter caravanning.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm
by Sashella (deleted)

We are in our 530 at the moment in the uk (have been full timing for 4 months now). We had a frozen water pump which we just let defrost naturally but have since wrapped the pipe going into the aqua roll with some grey pipe insulation. The waste water pipes under the van were also frozen but waste water ran away once the temperature rose. We have a hot water system and that’s fine as it’s internal. Not much advice in this script I know ! But we just let nature take it’s course😊

Now have our 530 that pushes our Volvo
Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

The trouble is with pipework freezing, it can push connections apart as the ice forms and expands. It's when the ice melts, the connections have the potential to leak..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:01 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Hi N

We have only used our Troll once over a few freezing days. We don't have an external roll for our water as we have an inboard tank under the bed. We have a dual hot water boiler but decided not to use it draining the water out of it just in case. We were really near the shower block and got all our hot water from there.

The biggest irritant was that condensation built up on the metal edge of the pop top and dripped on my head in the middle of the night. A quick wipe down with paper towels (yes, me and the metal!) helped that. This was why I was interested when Eriba came out with the insulation for the inside of the pop top - until I saw the price. In freezing conditions in future think I might close the pop-top.

The other thing that got to me was, being follically challenged, my ears kept getting cold despite the heating we had on. Kath was really taken with me playing dominoes in my bobble hat! MikeT

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:55 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

the butane ( blue) gas freezes I forget the temperature, most folk moved onto (red) propane in winter if not using electric hobs, ect.
air blown heating
the pop insulation idea was mentioned and wrote about on this forum. was it windscreen silver covers used in the adaption?
Poptop blind
Eriba pop-top thermal insulation

not sure how the 2018 toilet flush system works but that may need checking hasn't frozen..

jug and bucket defrosting, water collecting
hot water bottle,
gloves / scarf / hat, thermal under clothing,
mop for floor if wet out,
floor mat for wet shoes,
hot chocolate,
get a grips for shoes in icy conditions,
micro fibre cloths,

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:11 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105783 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2