Battery Maintainance overwinter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

I now have my Triton parked in my drive with the luxury of 240v mains available.

Couple of questions, when the 'van was parked at a storage site I used to remove the battery and charge/maintain it with my Ctek charger, now that I can plug the 'van in to the mains, is it wise to rely on the BIP unit to charge the battery for what could be several months or should I disconnect it and charge with the Ctek? if I do this should I bypass the 'van consumer unit entirely and run another cable into the 'van? If I do continue to use the van consumer unit should I switch off the battery charge switch?

And another one, I know that running a dehumidifier is pointless but what about a small 600w oil heater?

Thanks

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon
Scroll up

RE: Battery Maintainance overwinter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

You will not get a conclusive answer regarding heater use, windows open, dehumidifying bags etc.
For the battery I kept my last van in the garage attached to the mains for months at a time over winter some years, and others turned the mains on/off every few weeks. I also ran it with a small [7amp/h motorbike/emergency lighting batter] instead of the large 70amp/h and never had a problem with any set-up.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Personally I remove my battery, which I keep in my garage, which is internal and warm and dry in the winter, and charge it once a month with my ctec.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one

cruickie likes this post!
Last edited Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:15 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

We remove the battery and keep it on trickle charge over the winter. The other thing that can get forgotten is the mover control (if you have one), the batteries in that suffer if left in the van over winter, so bring that inside too.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

If you are able to isolate the fitted battery charger, I would keep the EHU connected and plug the CTek inside the van. Leave it connected to the battery all winter, that's how it's designed to work.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
highmiler likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Hi Chris,

I have relied on the Bip for eight years now and you know the type of winters I get. Not had any problem. I also run a 500watt convector at low all winter with the windows on night latch. Again no problem.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:28 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Thanks Guys.

Lots of opinions, but I see nobody has said “don’t do such and such because it caused a problem”!
So I suppose it’s a question of doing what seems right! I think it’s probably the same temperature in the van as in the lobby where I would charge the battery if I took it out so that’s not an issue. I think I’ll isolate the BIP charger and disconnect the battery then use the van consumer unit to feed the Ctek. My reasoning is that I don’t suppose the BIP was designed for what is almost continual use whereas the Ctek is. I also think I will try the heater with the windows on trickle can’t do any harm. Do you have a cover on yours Stewart?

Chris

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I do, Chris.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

sorry for the dumb question: what is the BIP and how do you isolate it?

Ron & Angela

Triton 420 GT 2005, Pedro, with a Mercedes 220 estate
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

I don't remove the battery as it's too big and heavy, I have mine connected to an external plug, about every 3 weeks I turn on the power for about 3 days using the internal inbuilt charger. It's like simulating using the van during the winter months. I have done this for a few years ...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 am
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Just had Mover & Battery fitted, chap from Midland Movers suggested charging once a month rather than trickle charge. (as poptop suggests)

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: thecolliss wrote in post #11
Just had Mover & Battery fitted, chap from Midland Movers suggested charging once a month rather than trickle charge. (as poptop suggests)
Hey there, Mr Rory - did he tell you why he suggested that, and what type of battery did he fit?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Quote: Rfjamieson1 wrote in post #9
sorry for the dumb question: what is the BIP and how do you isolate it?
If you have a look at this thread, it should answer your questions.

The only dumb question is the one you need the answer to but don't ask.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

I pre-installed a Ultra Deep Cycle Battery 12V 115AH (110AH) ER550 EXIDE Leisure Marine Dual Range , once a month charge through the winer would be sufficient. (Richard ,Midland Motor movers)
I guess through the summer its also intermittent charging.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

After following this thread from the start I have been thinking back to what I was told by my late [electrical engineer] father and uncle who held a senior production position at the long defunct English Electric. A battery needs to be charged and used, not just left. So if you leave it in, take it out, use the onboard unit or a separate charger it does not seem to matter [supported by owners responses].
I will continue to leave my van plugged into the mains and Mrs eribaMotters will turn the lights on as she continues to use the van as a large winter wardrobe. We will also use the van over winter with the 500w electric heater when we sleep in it this X-Mas whilst it is in the garage and visiting family in the house.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4